News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Security - encryption of voice phone calls...

Started by rggg, July 20, 2017, 11:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rggg

Hello,
Normally I'm careful to keep any sensitive info off my phone.  But there are occasions when the guy on the far end of the call, like a banker, telephone or cable TV company, refuses to set up an account for you without getting info like your SS number, mother's maiden name, answer to security questions, etc, to confirm your identity.

I have been informed that the regular public landline phone services don't provide any encryption on voice services.  I'm not sure if this is true, but since I recently replaced my landline service with GV, that's not an issue anymore.

So I'm wondering if my OBI200/Google Voice system provides any, or how much, encryption to keep my phone calls secure.

In addition, I'm wondering if the common cellular phone carriers provide any encryption of voice calls.

Thanks much for any comments....!

SteveInWA

You could look at this from the extreme end of the scale, and assume that NO communications, aside from standing in the woods whispering to somebody, is truly secure.  Or, you could look at the "commercially reasonable" standard:  landline (POTS) telephone service, and VoIP calls that traverse it, are not encrypted.  OBi devices use the Google Chat/XMPP protocol, not Google Voice, per se.  Those calls are not encrypted.

Mobile phone calls are encrypted, but that encryption can be broken, with specialized equipment.  Some law enforcement agencies have equipment ("stingers") which can trick mobile phones into registering with their fake "cell tower" instead of the carrier's towers, and thus, capture call information.

The chances of your personal information leaking via other sources are much higher than someone "tapping" or intercepting your telephone calls, e.g. retail store POS systems, businesses that store your personal information getting hacked, etc.  Reputable business will never ask for your entire social security number over the phone, just the last 4 digits.