News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I have many questions

Started by JCWilson34, July 18, 2017, 10:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCWilson34

Greetings ObiTalk forum.  I'm hoping that I can get some clarity on how this all works.

So here is the background:
I currently have a land-line that was ported from my local phone company to Time Warner/Spectrum.  I've been using TWC's service and their company-supplied device was serving as cable modem, router, and VoIP adapter.

Now, I've upgraded my modem and router and I am interested in dumping them for the phone service.  (I stand to save $20/mo + $10/mo for the box rental.)  I was drawn to the idea of using Obihai's VoIP adapter in conjunction with Google Voice to make this work.  I have on-order an OBi200 adapter and an OBiWiFi antenna from Amazon that should arrive this week.  

From what I've read, it appears that what I will need to do is port my TWC land-line number to a mobile device (burner phone?) and then port it from there to Google Voice.

Here are my questions:
*Can I use any mobile device such as an older non-smartphone as the place-holder?
*Once I am able to establish the number as mobile, then port it to Google Voice, does that number on the mobile become inactive, or do I need to continue to maintain it as a "base" for Google Voice to work with it?
*Does the use of the OBi VoIP adapter eliminate the need for me to have that number anywhere else?
*Previously, the TWC adapter was simply plugged into a panel and distributed throughout my house.  Is it that simple to just plug in the OBi200 into that same port?  I have only 1 phone line in the house.

Thanks in advance.  I want to make sure I understand how all this is going to work before I take the steps to disconnect my existing line.

drgeoff

Yes, any working mobile but you need to be aware that not all numbers can be ported to Google Voice.
Once ported to GV the number no longer works on the mobile.
Not sure what you are asking.  The number becomes your Google Voice number.  The Obi is one way to make and receive calls on that number.
The PHONE jack on an OBi has essentially the same interface as a copper POTS line or a VoIP adapter emulating one.  As such, the OBi can be plugged in to your house wiring to drive all the phones up to a REN total of 5.

Unless there is a good reason for not having an ethernet cable between OBi and router I would not use the OBiWIFI.  (BTW it is not an antenna.)

JCWilson34

Quote from: drgeoff on July 18, 2017, 12:02:27 PM
Yes, any working mobile but you need to be aware that not all numbers can be ported to Google Voice.
What would be a reason for a number not being allowed to be ported to GV?  If it can be ported to T-Mo or VZW (for example), will it then be eligible to be moved to GV, or are there some additional restrictions GV has to that other than it being a domestic mobile number?  Is there any way to know for sure before I jump through these hoops of porting to a mobile carrier if it's potentially not going to work?  If I find out it won't, then the logical next step would be to simply get a new GV number and change-over... but that is additional hassle than keeping my existing line.
QuoteOnce ported to GV the number no longer works on the mobile.
Not sure what you are asking.  The number becomes your Google Voice number.  The Obi is one way to make and receive calls on that number.
I was trying to figure out if porting the number from the mobile to GV would completely transfer it or if I would need to maintain a "dummy" number on a mobile line.  I'm assuming that wouldn't be necessary, but I've never used GV before, so I am not familiar with how it works.
QuoteThe PHONE jack on an OBi has essentially the same interface as a copper POTS line or a VoIP adapter emulating one.  As such, the OBi can be plugged in to your house wiring to drive all the phones up to a REN total of 5.
Good.  So it sounds like that should function as I would expect.
QuoteUnless there is a good reason for not having an ethernet cable between OBi and router I would not use the OBiWIFI.
The good reason would be that my router is in a different location than where the OBi would need to be to plug into the panel.  Why do you not recommend the WiFi adapter?  Is it performance-based?  Since the installation of the new router, I'm having little-to-no issues with wifi signal reliability and have experienced much better performance from most devices compared to the TWC hardware.
Quote(BTW it is not an antenna.)
Doesn't it send and receive the signal from the router through this adapter?  I assumed that was its purpose, to connect to the router without an ethernet cable.

Lavarock7

Google Voice is not a telephone company, however some of what they do LOOKS like a phone company.

For example, Hawaii telephone numbers are not portable whether landline or cell. They don't support the 808 area code. So there is one whole state they don't support. There may be other states and certainly other areas of the country which they won't port from. They have a test in your account to see if your number is portable.

I know the idea of free telephone calls sounds fantastic, but if you read the comments on these forums, there are many issues people have.

For example, voice mail. If you forward calls to a phone of cellphone which does not answer, Google grams the call back and forces you into their voice mail. That is fine if you want, and there are ways around it (having an answering machine with a shorter time limit to gram the call).

I would also look into the cost to have a phone number ported to a VOIP provider. You will have many more items you can control at a pretty low cost.

My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

JCWilson34

Thanks Lavarock,

If it's solely based on geography, I'm in North Carolina and when tested, my cell number with the same area code as the landline shows as eligible for porting (which I do not want to do.)

I'm not looking for a great deal of functionality, to be honest.  I mainly use this land line as a "spam folder" so to speak, for calls.  It's the number I give out to businesses and I probably use it for the voice mail more than making or receiving actual telephone calls on it these days. 

I'd give it up altogether if it weren't for the inconvenience of having to change everything to my mobile number, and  honestly, I feel like if I did, I'd start getting way more spam calls on my mobile than I do now.

Taoman

Quote from: JCWilson34 on July 18, 2017, 02:19:29 PM

If it's solely based on geography, I'm in North Carolina and when tested, my cell number with the same area code as the landline shows as eligible for porting (which I do not want to do.)

Just enter your landline number at the URL listed below.

https://www.google.com/voice/porting?pli=1

You will get one of two results which are self-explanatory.

QuoteMsg: Ooops! This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support.
For some area codes, Google Voice does not support porting, e.g. Hawaii (808), Alaska (907). If you get this result when you enter your land line number, you will not be able to port you number to Google Voice. It is of no use to complete the steps below.

Msg: Ooops! We currently don't support porting from your carrier. We apologize and are working on adding support for more carriers.
This is actually good news, because once your land line number is ported to a mobile service, it will be able to be ported to Google Voice. Please continue reading and follow the steps below to convert your land line number to a mobile number. Then you can port it to become your Google Voice number.

drgeoff

Quote from: JCWilson34 on July 18, 2017, 01:33:15 PMThe good reason would be that my router is in a different location than where the OBi would need to be to plug into the panel.  Why do you not recommend the WiFi adapter?  Is it performance-based?  Since the installation of the new router, I'm having little-to-no issues with wifi signal reliability and have experienced much better performance from most devices compared to the TWC hardware.
Quote(BTW it is not an antenna.)
Doesn't it send and receive the signal from the router through this adapter?  I assumed that was its purpose, to connect to the router without an ethernet cable.
An ethernet cable pretty much guarantees 100% correct and timely data transfer (simultaneously) in both directions between OBi and router, even when any other devices in your home are also communicating with the router.  A Wi-Fi connection does not.  Objects in the path, either temporarily (eg people) or permanently (eg large metallic objects, walls), interfering sources (eg neighbours' Wi-Fi, your microwave oven) and Wi-Fi traffic to/from other devices in your home all have the potential to disrupt the transmissions between OBiWIFI and router.  I am not saying those will be a showstopper and understand the attraction when an ethernet cable is not an easy or attractive option.

The OBiWIFI is a Wi-Fi adapter and contains much electronics in addition to an antenna.

JCWilson34

Quote from: Taoman on July 18, 2017, 02:30:33 PM
Yes, I tried that and unfortunately go the latter.  I guess that means I may be screwed for getting this plan to work.  I guess it's not so much the area code as it says, as it is the specific exchange.  My cell number checks out on it, which has an exchange in the city, and my home number is local to the outlying area where I live (with the same area code.)

Quote from: drgeoff on July 18, 2017, 04:13:01 PM
An ethernet cable pretty much guarantees 100% correct and timely data transfer (simultaneously) in both directions between OBi and router, even when any other devices in your home are also communicating with the router.  A Wi-Fi connection does not.  Objects in the path, either temporarily (eg people) or permanently (eg large metallic objects, walls), interfering sources (eg neighbours' Wi-Fi, your microwave oven) and Wi-Fi traffic to/from other devices in your home all have the potential to disrupt the transmissions between OBiWIFI and router.  I am not saying those will be a showstopper and understand the attraction when an ethernet cable is not an easy or attractive option.

The OBiWIFI is a Wi-Fi adapter and contains much electronics in addition to an antenna.
Thanks.  If I understand you correctly, it's no more or less reliable in that sense as any WiFi connection.  For my purpose, that's probably fine.  I'm not running a business and I really am only looking to keep this number to avoid having to change-over a bunch of stuff, and I don't want to give my cell number out to anyone who could use it for nefarious purposes, telemarketing, political calls, etc.

Taoman

Quote from: JCWilson34 on July 19, 2017, 11:18:24 AM
Quote from: Taoman on July 18, 2017, 02:30:33 PM
Yes, I tried that and unfortunately go the latter.

The "latter?"  You mean the second message about "your carrier?" If you got the second message then that is good news. That means your landline number is portable to Google Voice. You just need to port it to a mobile carrier first.

lane024

> I have on-order an OBi200 adapter and an OBiWiFi antenna from Amazon that should arrive this week.  

My wireless router is on the other side of the house from my OBi202. The TP-Link N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender has worked perfectly for me.  I just use the ethernet port on the bottom of the TP-Link range
extender and run a ethernet cable from it to the OBi202.

JCWilson34

Quote from: Taoman on July 19, 2017, 11:31:18 AM
The "latter?"  You mean the second message about "your carrier?" If you got the second message then that is good news. That means your landline number is portable to Google Voice. You just need to port it to a mobile carrier first.
No, I should have said "former".  I got the "Ooops! This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support." message.

It looks like I may have to pick a new GV number and it would seem the closest to my location is 2 counties away.  I'll have to think about this.

SteveInWA

I suggest continuing your discussion over on your thread on the Google Voice forum.