News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Default Line Port DigitMap makes no sense to me, what am I missing?

Started by VoIPuser, August 04, 2011, 12:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VoIPuser

There's one thing that's been bothering me since I set up an OBi110 today.  By default, the Line Port DigitMap was set to this:

(xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.)

I understand the first two rules - the first allows any seven digit number after a four second delay, and the second allows 11 digit calls in the US and Canada with no delay.  But then there is the third one, which would seem to pass ANY number of three digits or more with no delay.  Am I wrong in thinking the the third rule makes the first two superfluous?

I replaced that rule with:

(911|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx)

Which I believe allows calls to 911, seven digit numbers NOT starting with 1, and eleven digit numbers starting with 1 to all go out with no delay.  It would seem to me that such a rule would make more sense in the US and Canada.  Some people might also want to be able to call other three digit N11 codes, and also two digit "star" codes to use custom calling features offered by the local telephone company, and in that case I am guessing that rules would have to be added to allow those, for example:

([2-9]11|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|*xx)

Is there anything wrong with my thinking here?

I suppose that Obihai doesn't know where their product will be used in the world when they sell it, but since I used the OBi Dashboard to configure the device, I was a bit surprised that they didn't seem to have anything that specifically configured the Line port in the "Configure Voice Services" section of the Device Configuration page.  You can configure Service Providers 1 and 2 from there, bit if you want to configure anything on the Line port it seems you have to go into the OBi Expert Configuration Menu.  I'm not at all uncomfortable doing that, but perhaps some new users would be.  If they offered a Line Port configuration section, it could ask what country the user would be using the device in, and then adjust settings such as the Line Port DigitMap and certain other settings on the Line Port configuration page to the best default settings for that region.  Just a suggestion.

QBZappy

VoIPuser,

Hi,

All Obi configs can be accomplished using the OBi unit web page. If you don't feel the need to use the Expert config tool you don't have to use it.

I think this is what you are looking for on the OBi web unit to configure the line port.

Physical Interfaces->LINE Port
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Quote from: VoIPuser on August 04, 2011, 12:04:13 AM
By default, the Line Port DigitMap was set to this:

(xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.)

I understand the first two rules - the first allows any seven digit number after a four second delay, and the second allows 11 digit calls in the US and Canada with no delay.  But then there is the third one, which would seem to pass ANY number of three digits or more with no delay.  Am I wrong in thinking the the third rule makes the first two superfluous?

You're correct.  I usually get rid of the xx. rules also.  You'll find xx. rules also in the ITSPx DigitMaps.

I replaced that rule with:

(911|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx)

Which I believe allows calls to 911, seven digit numbers NOT starting with 1, and eleven digit numbers starting with 1 to all go out with no delay.  It would seem to me that such a rule would make more sense in the US and Canada.  Some people might also want to be able to call other three digit N11 codes, and also two digit "star" codes to use custom calling features offered by the local telephone company, and in that case I am guessing that rules would have to be added to allow those, for example:

([2-9]11|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|*xx)

Is there anything wrong with my thinking here?

911 handling already occurs at the PHONE Port DigitMap/OutboundCallRoute level, so I would recommend a [2-8]11 rule instead.  Adding a *xx rule will totally disable the OBI's own Star Code features.

I suppose that Obihai doesn't know where their product will be used in the world when they sell it, but since I used the OBi Dashboard to configure the device, I was a bit surprised that they didn't seem to have anything that specifically configured the Line port in the "Configure Voice Services" section of the Device Configuration page.  You can configure Service Providers 1 and 2 from there, bit if you want to configure anything on the Line port it seems you have to go into the OBi Expert Configuration Menu.  I'm not at all uncomfortable doing that, but perhaps some new users would be.  If they offered a Line Port configuration section, it could ask what country the user would be using the device in, and then adjust settings such as the Line Port DigitMap and certain other settings on the Line Port configuration page to the best default settings for that region.  Just a suggestion.

As QBZappy pointed out, configuration via the OBiTALK Web Portal is not required.  I find it much simpler and more convenient to simply configure the OBi directly where every option exists and additional status is available.

VoIPuser

Thanks, I appreciate the confirmation that the xx. rules makes no sense.

Speaking of the Obi's *xx codes, is there any way to find out how those settings are currently set, or change them from the web interface?

Regarding use of expert configuration, I don't mind doing that, and like the fact that I can change settings on my device even when I'm not at home if I feel the need to do that.  I'm afraid that if I start making direct changes on the device itself, I'll lose that ability.

RonR

Quote from: VoIPuser on August 04, 2011, 10:45:08 AM
Speaking of the Obi's *xx codes, is there any way to find out how those settings are currently set, or change

Star Codes -> Star Code Profile A
Star Codes -> Star Code Profile B

Regarding use of expert configuration, I don't mind doing that, and like the fact that I can change settings on my device even when I'm not at home if I feel the need to do that.  I'm afraid that if I start making direct changes on the device itself, I'll lose that ability.

If you configure the OBi manually and then want to go back to using the OBiTALK Web Portal for remote configuration reasons, simply resync the OBiTALK Web Portal by creating a configuration backup at:

System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration

and then import it into the OBiTALK Web Portal.

Be aware that some of the changes in recent firmware updates have not been reflected in the OBiTALK Web Portal.

VoIPuser

Quote from: RonR on August 04, 2011, 11:26:24 AM
Speaking of the Obi's *xx codes, is there any way to find out how those settings are currently set, or change

Star Codes -> Star Code Profile A
Star Codes -> Star Code Profile B

Sorry, I should have asked that more clearly.  I wasn't asking what the feature codes were, although that's good to know.  Rather, on Linksys devices there is a User tab in the web interface, where you can see (for example) if Call Waiting is on, and if not you can turn it on right from the interface, without actually having to dial the code.  I think you can also check the Call Forwarding variations, Do Not Disturb and maybe one or two other things, can't recall offhand.  When troubleshooting an issue it's handy to be able to see if any of those features are set - for example, if Do Not Disturb gets set accidentally, the device could stop receiving calls and you might not know why, and think the device is defective.

So my question was, is there any way to see how those features are currently set on an OBi110, or change them from the web interface.  I see that there is a User Settings section, but all I see in it are Speed Dials and User Defined Digit Maps.

Quote from: RonR on August 04, 2011, 11:26:24 AM
Be aware that some of the changes in recent firmware updates have not been reflected in the OBiTALK Web Portal.

Anything really important that you can think of?

QBZappy

VoIPuser,

You can see settings here:
Voice Services>SP1/2 Service>Calling Features
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

VoIPuser

Quote from: QBZappy on August 04, 2011, 03:15:02 PM
VoIPuser,

You can see settings here:
Voice Services>SP1/2 Service>Calling Features

Thank you, QBZappy.  I had a feeling it was probably someplace obvious and I was just overlooking it.  I also wondered where the status for Call Waiting was viewable, and turns out that's right on the PHONE Port page, also under Calling Features.