News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Beeping with PhonePower

Started by NewAtObi, August 11, 2017, 06:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewAtObi

Hello.

I've had Obi for a couple months, and I started with Google Voice, which was fine, but I wanted to try PhonePower. I'm on my third day with PhonePower, and it's going fine, but there's one problem I can't shake.

My modem is connected to the Obi, and the Obi is connected to the phone, which has an answering machine built-in. I prefer the answering machine over the voicemail, so I set up the PhonePower voicemail to answer after 60 seconds, which is long enough that the answering machine should pick up first, which it does. But the problem is that after the answering machine picks up, there's a beep, and then another beep, and another, and so on. Probably a beep every couple seconds. It does not do this if a person picks up the phone. It only happens with the answering machine picks up.

I contacted PhonePower technical support, and the guy responded very quickly and asked if I had a fax machine connected to the line. I told him that I don't, and then he suggested that I should try a different phone/answering machine, which I did tonight, and it doesn't change anything. I think PhonePower technical support is closed now, so I probably won't get another email from him until tomorrow, but in the meantime does anyone have a guess as to what's going on?

Thanks.
Steven

NewAtObi

I seem to have found the answer here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12530.0

You have to scroll through some wrong answers to get the correct answer at the bottom of the thread. Obi made a change in a recent firmware revision. It causes obi to interpret an answering machine as a fax machine. To fix this, you have to turn off some fax settings in your obi settings, as detailed at the end of that thread.

Thanks!
Steven