News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 + Google Voice- Incoming calls do not ring on phone line

Started by tosh, August 14, 2017, 11:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tosh

I have setup a google voice service with Obi200. I can make outbound calls.

However, inbound calls do not ring on the line. I have verified the settings in the latest google.com/voice and Obi200.

Here's what I am trying to do. I would like to Obi200 line to ring regardless of whether I am logged into google or not.

Is this possible? I have seen older threads on google voice 'check the box for chat'. It would be great if the recommendations are for the latest/udpated google voice settings page.

regards -Tosh

drgeoff

The need to have Chat as one of the forwarding destinations still applies.

Log in to google.com/voice.  Click the 3 vertical dots, bottom left.  Then click on 'Legacy Google Voice' - second item from bottom on left. At top right corner click the gear icon to go to Settings.  You should have a frame with 6 tabs, the left one being 'Phones'.  The Google chat box is there.

hapollo

Just noticed this on my Obi200 as well and the Google Chat is checked.

Not only on Obi, but on Groove IP and Asterisk using GV credentials. However, all forwarding lines ring.

Last incoming call on that line was about a month ago, so many something happened on Google backend.

Anyone else noticing this issue?

SteveInWA

Quote from: hapollo on November 06, 2017, 01:10:24 PM
Just noticed this on my Obi200 as well and the Google Chat is checked.

Not only on Obi, but on Groove IP and Asterisk using GV credentials. However, all forwarding lines ring.

Last incoming call on that line was about a month ago, so many something happened on Google backend.

Anyone else noticing this issue?

Have you not read any of the hundreds of posts in the past week?

See:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13113.msg84139#msg84139

hapollo

And since you're so well read, how do you explain how it affects ONLY incoming. ALL OUTGOING is still fine across all different software and hardware not just OBi.

Feel free to be as technical as possible to show how well you understand the situation as it applies to my question.

SteveInWA

Quote from: hapollo on November 06, 2017, 06:11:24 PM
And since you're so well read, how do you explain how it affects ONLY incoming. ALL OUTGOING is still fine across all different software and hardware not just OBi.

Feel free to be as technical as possible to show how well you understand the situation as it applies to my question.

I took a look at your posting history.  It looks like you've had this, or some version of this problem before.  I also see that you are a prolific VoIP hacker, with a PBX, and many, many changes to your OBi's settings.  You're also apparently using GrooveIP, which hasn't been supported in years.  I'd say, all bets are off with this big kludge.  It's possible that one of those things is taking priority over the XMPP connection and causing the other stuff to not connect.

If you want to troubleshoot this, you'd need to turn off/disconnect everything except the OBi, update it to the firmware released last week, re-register it to the correct Google/Gmail account (the one that holds your inbound GV number), and then test it.

hapollo

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 06, 2017, 06:31:28 PM

I took a look at your posting history. 

Yep and looking at your history shows a prolific history of verbally abusing other members across the forum. Just as I suspected, couldn't explain why it would only effect incoming.

SteveInWA

I did explain.  It's possible to continue to make outbound calls, while inbound calls will fail, if you have a XMPP client other than an OBi 200 series ATA or 10x2 IP phone, which can share the connection.  This was a widely-discussed topic back in the OBi 100/110 days, where only the last client to register would receive inbound calls.

I also hinted at the other universal cause of this symptom:  any Gmail account that has accepted Google's Terms of Use (by clicking a box the first time a call is placed) can make outbound calls.  That account doesn't even need a Google Voice number.  If the OBi is accidentally registered to the wrong Google account, then it will make calls, but not receive calls.  You can check this by clicking on the SP that is assigned to Google Voice, and, on the next page, look at the Gmail address in use.  Then, look at that same Gmail address' Google Voice configuration on a web browser, and see if it has the inbound number.

hapollo

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 06, 2017, 06:31:28 PM
Quote from: hapollo on November 06, 2017, 06:11:24 PM

I took a look at your posting history.  It looks like you've had this, or some version of this problem before.  I also see that you are a prolific VoIP hacker, with a PBX, and many, many changes to your OBi's settings.  You're also apparently using GrooveIP, which hasn't been supported in years.  I'd say, all bets are off with this big kludge.  It's possible that one of those things is taking priority over the XMPP connection and causing the other stuff to not connect.

If you want to troubleshoot this, you'd need to turn off/disconnect everything except the OBi, update it to the firmware released last week, re-register it to the correct Google/Gmail account (the one that holds your inbound GV number), and then test it.

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 06, 2017, 06:43:05 PM
I did explain.  It's possible to continue to make outbound calls, while inbound calls will fail, if you have a XMPP client other than an OBi 200 series ATA or 10x2 IP phone, which can share the connection.  This was a widely-discussed topic back in the OBi 100/110 days, where only the last client to register would receive inbound calls.

I also hinted at the other universal cause of this symptom:  any Gmail account that has accepted Google's Terms of Use (by clicking a box the first time a call is placed) can make outbound calls.  That account doesn't even need a Google Voice number.  If the OBi is accidentally registered to the wrong Google account, then it will make calls, but not receive calls.  You can check this by clicking on the SP that is assigned to Google Voice, and, on the next page, look at the Gmail address in use.  Then, look at that same Gmail address' Google Voice configuration on a web browser, and see if it has the inbound number.

Lol, did you explain in the first reply in some 1pt invisible font or something? No explanation at all except calling someone a VOIP hacker, using unsupported devices etc, etc. Well, everything self resolved today without having to do anything further. Groove IP still works, Obi110 still works and all phones ring simultaneously again.

Before you go calling someone who is trying to create flexibility in the VOIP options a "hacker" you should realize there is a fine line between a Hacker and the self professed Beta tester you are.  In both cases, we are exploring the possibilities of doing something new with our own devices. Just because you have a high post count doesn't give you the right to call people names and abuse them when they simply ask " Anyone else noticing this issue?"

But giving your history, I have no doubt you will continue to abuse other forum members for their benign questions.