News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 OBi Devices, 2 GV numbers, 1 Google account

Started by Kirk1975, August 18, 2017, 03:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk1975

Need to start off saying I'm not technical, especially when it comes to VOIP. So, please be gentle with the IT lingo, if possible. I have two OBi devices (200 & 202), and two GV phone numbers. I bought the 202 for a home office line which is intended to be dedicated fax number (provider is GV). I will call this "FN" for fax number. This worked/works fine. In addition, I recently bought and set up a second OBi device (200) after having ported my home's landline phone number to the SAME GV account. I will call this the "HN" for home number. However, if you dial either the FN or HN, both the phone and fax machine begin to ring. This presents a problem as I don't want my fax machine to pick up an incoming call from my HN. Likewise, I don't want an incoming fax to ring my HN. Is there a way to configure so that each OBi device will work independently of the other? Thanks!

SteveInWA

Hi:

Welcome to OBi-land, and thanks for the disclaimer about not being a telephony-nerd.  When a Google Voice account has two inbound Google Voice numbers assigned to it, there is no way to treat inbound calls made to one of the numbers differently from calls to the other number.  They'll be forwarded to the same destinations.  OBi devices emulate (act as) Google Chat clients, so they are simply a forwarding destination, in the same way as a regular phone number that can be added as a forwarding number.

If you want to use one of the two numbers separately from the other, then create a new Google/Gmail account, and transfer one of the numbers to it.  The transfer-to account can't already have a GV number; you can only transfer into an empty account.  After doing this, you can configure your OBi(s) to use GV account #1 on SP1, and GV account #2 on SP2, for example.  In this example, you'd configure the OBi 202 to ring its physical phone port 1 on inbound calls for SP1, and to ring physical phone port 2 on inbound calls for SP2.

GV numbers can be assigned to multiple OBi 20x devices; in theory, you don't really need the 200; you can do what you want with just the one 202.

Transfer instructions:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#googlexfer