News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

overseas with 1 obi100 box can i use GV/chat to call USA landlines?

Started by paix, August 04, 2011, 01:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paix

overseas with 1 obi100 box  can i use GV/chat to call USA landlines?

or do i need a 2nd box  setup in the USA as well,  or why would i want a 2nd box setup  in the USA  ?

while overseas must my obihai100  be  connected to a cat5 hardwire  connection, as mostly the places i stay or low quality shared wifi  only

i believe without the obihai overseas  GVoice will block the free landline  call service  as the IP is not US based?

QBZappy

paix,

Quote from: paix on August 04, 2011, 01:34:26 PM

Depends on the country. There are reports from various places with mixed results. If you ask here about your country someone may confirm if GV works there

or do i need a 2nd box  setup in the USA as well,  or why would i want a 2nd box setup  in the USA  ?

a second OBi will give you OBitalk network, giving you another possible method of reaching the other party.

while overseas must my obihai100  be  connected to a cat5 hardwire  connection, as mostly the places i stay or low quality shared wifi  only

Cat5 wire will be more dependable. However wireless connection has been reported to work. If wifi is of low quality it may affect your calls.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

paix

Quote from: QBZappy on August 04, 2011, 01:55:17 PM
paix,

Depends on the country. There are reports from various places with mixed results. If you ask here about your country someone may confirm if GV works there
.........i'd be calling probably  from bangkok, thailand  via  GV  to landlines in the USA.

a second OBi will give you OBitalk network, giving you another possible method of reaching the other party.
........what would the 'network'  allow me to do that i could not do  with   1 box  out of country ? again likely just using GV.

Cat5 wire will be more dependable. However wireless connection has been reported to work. If wifi is of low quality it may affect your calls.
.......i can't see how i could connect a  obihai  box  via  wifi  to a network, as the obihai  doesn't seem to have that capablity

RonR

Quote from: paix on August 04, 2011, 02:14:10 PM
.......i can't see how i could connect a  obihai  box  via  wifi  to a network, as the obihai  doesn't seem to have that capablity

You'd have to supply your own wireless Ethernet bridge that the OBi would plug into.

QBZappy

paix,

You are correct OBi dose not support wireless natively.

These threads discusses possible methods to add wireless to OBi

Add Wireless Networking to the unit.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=251.0

Easy Wireless for OBi
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=764.msg4674#msg4674
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

paix

Quote from: QBZappy on August 04, 2011, 01:55:17 PM
paix,

btw, i know that GV  does not work  from thailand directly, but i though   that by usign obihai    GV  would not know that the  IP  is not  USA based and hence allows  it

lhm.

Use Sipsorcery as an Obi Spx for GV outbound, as it will show USA ip address

QBZappy

paix,

If you have an OBi State side, you can have access to GV there to make call to US/Canada. From your country you can call from another OBi or install an OBiApp on your computer to access the resources of the far away OBi.

QBZappy

Quote from: lhm. on August 04, 2011, 02:51:08 PM
Use Sipsorcery as an Obi Spx for GV outbound, as it will show USA ip address

How dose that work?

paix

so i need 2 obi's  1 in each country to use GV ?

does this work for any and all countries?

and it may or may not work  if i have 1 obi in the foreign country?

QBZappy

paix

Quote from: paix on August 04, 2011, 06:57:14 PM
so i need 2 obi's  1 in each country to use GV ?

No. GV will work with just one OBi if you like. However since you mentioned that the GV service is blocked in your country you may be able to use the GV service setup on another unit in another country which allows GV. It may not even be the US or Canada. If a neighboring country to you is more accessible, you can have one setup there. GV is not that easy to setup outside the US. The service needs to be confirmed with a telephone call. This may be an obstacle for most people. Best way is to get family/friend in the US to setup a GV account for you.

does this work for any and all countries?

If you are referring to the OBitalk service, I don't think anyone has ever mentioned that this service was blocked in any country. The OBi people or others could probably confirm this.

and it may or may not work  if i have 1 obi in the foreign country?

If you mention the country someone on this board will likely confirm it for you.

Peace