News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Odd DHCP behavior UTM firewall OBI200 OBI202

Started by GPz1100, August 27, 2017, 12:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPz1100

I've recently implemented the sophos UTM firewall running as a VM under esxi on a minipc in place of a standalone router/ap. 

The obi's are defined in the UTM's DHCP server with specific IP's under static assignments.

During testing, I changed the assigned ip's in UTM then rebooted the OBI's.  The expected behavior was to receive the new ip address.  Instead, both devices retained the previous IP's.  I tested the same with a PC.  Each time the PC received the new IP address correctly.

After much hair pulling I found an option in settings, System Management > WAN settings, Addressing type. The options are dhcp, static and pppoe.  I didn't have to change anything here, but toggling the default check box then rebooting allowed the obi to pull the new ip.

This didn't make much sense.  Especially the retaining of the previous ip assignment.  I suppose it's a failsafe in case the obi can't get a new ip, it falls back to the last previous assignment.

I've yet to see how this works on my old router (netgear R7000).  It was set up similarly.  I try to keep away from static assignments on the clients themselves because it makes management that much more difficult. Keeping all the [static] assignments in one place on the dhcp server makes the most sense.

Any thoughts on the above issue?

GPz1100

OK, did some more testing.  Exact same results when connected to the R7000 router.  The units do accept new assignments automatically *ONLY* after being powercycled.  Rebooting doesn't do it.

OBI200 - HardwareVersion   1.4   help
SoftwareVersion   3.1.1 (Build: 5462EX)

OBI202 - HardwareVersion   1.4   help
SoftwareVersion   3.1.1 (Build: 5463EX)

WelshPaul

Quote from: GPz1100 on August 27, 2017, 12:56:33 PM
OK, did some more testing.  Exact same results when connected to the R7000 router.  The units do accept new assignments automatically *ONLY* after being powercycled.  Rebooting doesn't do it.

OBI200 - HardwareVersion   1.4   help
SoftwareVersion   3.1.1 (Build: 5462EX)

OBI202 - HardwareVersion   1.4   help
SoftwareVersion   3.1.1 (Build: 5463EX)

Exactly same behaviour is exhibited when using:

HardwareVersion   1.4   help
SoftwareVersion   3.1.1 (Build: 5695EX)

Have you reported it to Obihai? If not, it won't ever get fixed.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

GPz1100

I have not.  I just discovered this myself a few days ago.

WelshPaul

Quote from: GPz1100 on August 28, 2017, 10:33:49 AM
I have not.  I just discovered this myself a few days ago.

Is your device under warranty? If so, open a support ticket by clicking here.

For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

GPz1100

The obi200 is not, the 202 is.  I submitted the support ticket referencing the 202 :). I included a link to this thread.

This bug is not the end of the world, but sure did make testing dhcp services more interesting...

GPz1100

Should there be some sort of confirmation when the ticket is received?  Nothing yet.

WelshPaul

Quote from: GPz1100 on August 30, 2017, 12:59:56 PM
Should there be some sort of confirmation when the ticket is received?  Nothing yet.

No idea, never submitted a ticket myself. From what i've read on this forum, support is poor and it takes a while before Obihai respond to support requests (if at all).  :-\
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com