News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Confused on E911

Started by htims, August 28, 2017, 06:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

htims

I've been reading the posts on E911 but am struggling to figure out what the user experience is/how it should be setup.

My current setup is a 200 with 2 google voice accounts (SP1 and SP2).

My desire is to have 911 service for the cheapest route.  When I was looking at other posts, it seems that the 911 service would be setup on SP3.

So most importantly once I figure this out...does it work just like a regular landline would...you pick up the phone and dial 911 and it works?  I ask because SP2 is my default outbound number.

azrobert

You can override the default route for 911. Just add the following rule to the Phone Port outbound call route: {911:sp3},

Using OBi Expert the outbound route can be found here:
Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> OutboundCallRoute

htims

ahh - so I could then use something like call centric or GV911 and only do what you outlined above for 911...regular dialing would still go out through my default GV account?

htims

Quote from: azrobert on August 28, 2017, 08:47:54 AM
You can override the default route for 911. Just add the following rule to the Phone Port outbound call route: {911:sp3},

Also - would I leave all the stuff that is in there now?  Just put this at the end separated first by a comma?

azrobert

Quote from: htims on August 28, 2017, 09:12:08 AM
ahh - so I could then use something like call centric or GV911 and only do what you outlined above for 911...regular dialing would still go out through my default GV account?

Correct.

Look at the OutboundCallRoute. The last rule is "{(Mpli):pli}'. This will compare the dialed number to the Primary Line's digit map and on a match will route the call to the Primary Line. There are several rules before, most routing numbers with an "**x" prefix. You will be adding another rule for 911 to the beginning of the outbound route. If none of these rules match the dialed number, the call will be routed to the Primary Line. You can add as many rules as you want. For example international numbers or a specific area code to SP1.

drgeoff

Quote from: htims on August 28, 2017, 10:10:50 AM
Quote from: azrobert on August 28, 2017, 08:47:54 AM

Also - would I leave all the stuff that is in there now?  Just put this at the end separated first by a comma?

Put it at the very start. The comma that azrobert wrote is the separator from what is already in the OutboundCallRoute.

SteveInWA

HTIMS:  This suggests a misunderstanding of how E911 calling works.

Google Voice doesn't support E911 calls at all.  You don't select which of your two Google Voice SPs to use; there is no "cheapest route" for 911 calls.  Instead, you subscribe to E911 service from another service provider, such as Callcentric or Anveo.  You set this up on a third SP.  911 calls do not go through either of the Google Voice SPs

The OBiTALK configuration page will simply ask which SP to use for 911 calls, and then it will automatically build the correct digit map, to recognize the 911 digits, and send those calls out via SP3, regardless of whether your default
SP for regular outbound calls is SP1 or SP2.

htims

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 28, 2017, 03:18:11 PM
HTIMS:  This suggests a misunderstanding of how E911 calling works.

Yep that was true...but the helpful members here have enlightened me.  I wasn't sure if when I go to setup sp3 with whatever service I use if it would ask if that was for E911 or what...assuming if it didn't I didn't understand how the OBI worked in that regard with multiple SPs.

I think I got it now.

Many thanks!