News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Some Questions from a newbie

Started by schmitta, September 01, 2017, 11:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmitta

I had Verizon for home phone and now I have Comcast for internet. I also have Comcast VoIP . Comcast VoIP rings all phones in my house and lets me keep my old number which is important since I have had it 40+ years. With you equipment can I keep my old phone number? It is important to me. If google voice will not let me keep my old phone number is there an alternate service that would which, would be of low cost, and that your equipment would work with (VoIP)?

drgeoff

Obihai devices require that you also obtain service from one or more Internet Telephony Service Providers (ITSPs).  The OBi devices support the SIP protocol used by the vast majority of ITSPs and the XMPP protocol ised by Google Voice.  The choice is yours based on whatever ITSP(s) best suit your preferences for tariffs and features.

To retain an existing number, it needs to be ported to your desired ITSP.  Whether that is possible or not depends on the ITSP.