News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

setting up obi200 with google voice

Started by sahric, August 23, 2017, 10:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sahric

hi - i just registered the obi200 and want to use google voice.

does google voice provide a better range of phone numbers for obi users by any chance? because google voice didnt have any in my area code...

also, google voice seems to want me to give it my cell phone number. but why? do i have to? is there a way around that? i am hung up on the page that says

"You selected (abc) abc-abcd  To use Google Voice with your smartphone or tablet, link its phone number to your account  NEXT  BACK"

i cant get around having to enter in another phone number. what if i did not have a cell phone?

sorry if these basic questions belong elsewhere! thanks for any help.

drgeoff

Google has no extra numbers for OBi users over and above those available to anyone else.

To get a GV number you need a working US phone number. It does not need to be a cellphone number. However, not all numbers are acceptable due to various security, anti-fraud etc measures which Google does not disclose.

If you want to port an existing number (that you have) to  GV it needs to be a cellphone number. That may require temporary porting of a fixed line number to a cellular network.

VJOBI200

When you say "because google voice didnt have any in my area code...", did you also TRY the alternative using your AREA/CITY name, which also gives you available codes.
I also had same problem as you, and got roound it by my Area name. Good Luck!

wmcbrine

You need a number to complete the signup, but you can remove it once you've registered.