News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi and secondary international home

Started by alvi, May 01, 2021, 08:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alvi

I have my main home in the US and a secondary one in Europe. I have and use an Obi 202 fine in the US.

Now if I buy a 212 for my European home:
- Would that be OK with OBI/Poly?
- Would that be OK with GV?

I'm asking the question both legally and technically, although technically speaking since I run an OpenVPN tunnel permanently between both sites, I should be able to counter any silly GeoIP limitation if needed.

Thanks for any answer, I realize I may be in a very specific and rare situation.

alvi

Seriously, anyone?

I'll have a lot of funny config issues later to discuss on this forum, but I need to know if I'm in the right direction first

drgeoff

Perfectly OK with Obihai/Poly.  For many years Obihai devices were* available in UK, Europe and Australia and included localised versions of the wall-wart power supplies. (* I've seen nothing to indicate that the complete absence of advertised stock in those regions for more than one year is because of a deliberate policy decision by Poly.)

GV will work from most countries in the world.  If you need a new GV number for the secondary OBi, be sure to get that while in the US.

If you are considering an OBi212 because you would be connecting it to a telco POTS line in Europe there is the question of whether the OBi212 has been certified to meet the relevant regulatory requirements. That is a question best directed to Poly.

alvi

Thanks a lot, let's just rock & roll then 8)
And I don't need any new GV number, I just wanted to make sure I was not violating any silly policy if I used one abroad!

I will however have a lot fun trying to manage both OBis the way I want. It is my understanding I will have to go way deeper if I want to cross pick up  the lines between both boxes. Eventually I feel this is going to end up to having an asterisk box managing all OBIs, but this is a discussion for another time :)

drgeoff

Quote from: alvi on May 03, 2021, 04:28:49 AM
Thanks a lot, let's just rock & roll then 8)
And I don't need any new GV number, I just wanted to make sure I was not violating any silly policy if I used one abroad!

I will however have a lot fun trying to manage both OBis the way I want. It is my understanding I will have to go way deeper if I want to cross pick up  the lines between both boxes. Eventually I feel this is going to end up to having an asterisk box managing all OBIs, but this is a discussion for another time :)
You can do a lot with the two OBis.  The only shortcoming that made me resort to adding a FreePBX into the mix is that they cannot be programmed to react differently depending on time of day or day of week.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=18189.msg108152#msg108152

alvi

The thing is I would like to be able to connect my nice IP phones as well, and as far as I know OBI can't manage them.

azrobert

I just noticed that example is missing an inbound route.

SP4/X_InboundCallRoute:
{>0:ph},{1001:sp1}

Dial 0 to ring the OBi phone port, all other numbers will be sent to SP1.