News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Barging among 1062s?

Started by kayrjay, September 18, 2017, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kayrjay

I have 4 1062s in my home.  I'd like each of them to be able to join ... aka BARGE into ... an active call on any of the other three.  I have some info from OBIHAI, but despite my attempts to get further info, they have not responded.   

I've included the email chain below, but the gist is that, "yes, it is possible for one OBI1062 to "barge into" another's active call.   The scenario that OBIHAI discusses is in a commercial setting, where one manager can barge into an agent's call.  Here, however, it's just me and my wife.  If she's on a call, and wants me to join from somewhere else in the house, I'd like to do so.  And vice versa.

The problem is that the barging seems asymmetrical, with a given phone having a role as a manager and the others as agents.  Obviously that doesn't work for us here at home.   

I'd appreciate any advice or guidance on how to set that up.

-----
Email chain (oldest first):

On Aug 31, 2017, at 3:49 PM, Obihai Support <support@obihai.com> wrote:

Hi,

The function/feature Barge-In will only work with OBi IP Phone with another OBi IP Phone.  Not with OBi ATAT Adaptors, such as OBi200 or OBi202 device.

Best Regards,
Obihai Technology

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 4:06 PM
To: Obihai Support <support@obihai.com>
Subject: Re: (SG) OBi202 500530441, Barging support?

Can I barge somehow among 1062s either?

Sent from my iPhone

Subject: RE: (SG) OBi202 500530441, Barging support? OBi1062 600946989
Date: September 1, 2017 at 9:19:30 AM PDT
To: Ken Jacobs

Hi,

The answer is yes.  Please proceed...

Please proceed...

For example: 
Manager Ken - OBi1062 600946989
Agent Steve - OBi1062 600638962
Agent Dave - OBi1062 600861353

On your (Manager Ken) phone 600946989, you can add for each agent to monitor, as "Feature Key" with
- Function = Busy Lamp Field
- Service = OBiTALK
- Number = {agent Steve's 9-digit obi number 600638962}

A Feature Key can be a Line Key (the 6 keys next to the screen) or Programmable key (the 8 keys below the line keys); the setup is the same for each kind of keys.
For this example, you can choose Line Key #4 on your phone to monitor agent Steve's phone 600638962.

Then, on each agents' phone (600638962, 600861353), configure the parameter:
(Under Voice Service/OBiTALK Service page) CallStatusAggregator = {Manager's 9-digit obi number 600946989}

You can press and hold Line Key #4 (Monitoring Steve's phone) to see the options to Barge-In or to Coach (aka Whisper).

Note that using this method (OBiTALK), one manager can monitor several agents, but each agent can only report to one Manager.

Please proceed:  log into your www.obitalk.com site for the OBi Expert Configuration page.

Click OBi number 600946989 (ken's) for Device Configuration page

Click the OBi Expert Configuration blue button

Click OK

Click Enter OBi Expert blue button

To IP Phone / Line Keys / Key 4 (example) and apply the above information:  Function, Service, Number fields.

And you must uncheck box for OBiTALK Settings then uncheck box for Device Default, make changes, scroll to bottom and click Submit to lock changes.

Then click OBi Dashboard at left, click OBi number 600638962 (Steve's), to OBi Expert again:  To Voice Services / OBiTALK Service / to "CallStatusAggregator".

Uncheck box for OBiTALK Settings then uncheck box for Device Default.

Input 600946989.

Scroll to bottom and click Submit to lock changes.

Go through the same steps for Agent Dave - OBi1062 600861353.

Best Regards,
Obihai Technology

Subject: Re: (SG) OBi202 500530441, Barging support? OBi1062 600946989
Date: September 4, 2017 at 6:15:29 PM PDT
To: Obihai Support <support@obihai.com>

You show how to permit a "manager" to barge into another line, but I want each of the 1062s to be able to barge into an active call on any other 1062.

Can you please advise?

Thanks

Ken

[Never got a response]

drgeoff

Perhaps a single OBi200 or 202 and a DECT base-station with four handsets would have served you better and cost much less than 4 OBi1062s.

kayrjay

You may be right, but it's a little late now.     I will have to check into that.   Maybe I can sell the 1062s on e-Bay.

However, it seems we're close.   If I could get this barging thing done, I'd be happy.

SteveInWA

You simply need to conference the two OBi phones into the same call.  You already had a previous discussion about how to call one OBi from another.  You should be able to be on a call, and then conference in one of your other OBi phones, by placing the call on hold, and then calling the other OBi, and then conferencing them together.  Haven't you tried that?

kayrjay

Well, conferencing doesn't really work for what I want to do.   Here's a typical scenario ... I'm in one location in the house, and the wife is in another.   We're both on inbound calls.   I can put my call on hold, call her (over the internet), but this uses an outgoing call and a third incoming call (and the plan I have with my VOIP provider currently limits me to two incoming calls). Sure I could pay for another incoming call, but why?

Besides, that scenario is terribly inconvenient.   Each of us has to put a current call on hold, pickup the call from the other person, just to find out who's on the line, then hang that up and pick up the call they were on.   If both people want to be on the call, then one will tell the other inbound caller we'll call back, and hangs up.  The other person goes through the conference process, and the one who wants to join the call has to answer the conference call.   Yuck!

Here's what should happen: when a call comes in, anyone who's home would like to pick up.  Ideally, whomever picks up the incoming call can engage in the conversation, and the other person could simply press the BLF (I think that's what it's called) and barge in.  Easy.  I don't understand why this situation wouldn't also work in a small office/commercial setting, where there are 4-5 people, or even more.  This is not purely a residential application.

I will look into the DECT-based solution, but I sure would like the current system to work.

SteveInWA

Quote from: kayrjay on September 20, 2017, 09:18:19 AM
Well, conferencing doesn't really work for what I want to do.   Here's a typical scenario ... I'm in one location in the house, and the wife is in another.   We're both on inbound calls.   I can put my call on hold, call her (over the internet), but this uses an outgoing call and a third incoming call (and the plan I have with my VOIP provider currently limits me to two incoming calls). Sure I could pay for another incoming call, but why?

Besides, that scenario is terribly inconvenient.   Each of us has to put a current call on hold, pickup the call from the other person, just to find out who's on the line, then hang that up and pick up the call they were on.   If both people want to be on the call, then one will tell the other inbound caller we'll call back, and hangs up.  The other person goes through the conference process, and the one who wants to join the call has to answer the conference call.   Yuck!

Here's what should happen: when a call comes in, anyone who's home would like to pick up.  Ideally, whomever picks up the incoming call can engage in the conversation, and the other person could simply press the BLF (I think that's what it's called) and barge in.  Easy.  I don't understand why this situation wouldn't also work in a small office/commercial setting, where there are 4-5 people, or even more.  This is not purely a residential application.

I will look into the DECT-based solution, but I sure would like the current system to work.

You'd not be using more of your VoIP provider's channels.  The calls between the phones would use the OBiTALK network, which is free.

What you're describing would probably require a PBX.

kayrjay

Even if the in-house calls are free, the inconvenience isn't!   And a PBX is way too complex.   Right now, all I need is some help from OBIHAI, who told me they are "researching" the issue, but haven't responded.

Thanks for your comments, though!

Marc

Quote from: kayrjay on September 20, 2017, 10:24:50 AM
Even if the in-house calls are free, the inconvenience isn't!   And a PBX is way too complex.   Right now, all I need is some help from OBIHAI, who told me they are "researching" the issue, but haven't responded.

Thanks for your comments, though!

If you get an answer, please let us know.  While I'm not looking to do the same thing that you are, I think the solution to your issue may help me resolve mine.

Thank you.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

kayrjay

Well, the answer isn't what I want to hear.   The short story is that OBI can do what I want but it requires that the VIOP provider support something called SIP SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY packets to enable the Busy Lamp Field (BLF) feature to function.  My provider does not support this.  The only way I could do what I want appears to be a PBX, which is far to complex for me.

By the way, I'm using my 1062s over WiFi, and it's not working well.  I may have to ditch the 1062s, and go to an OBI202 and a wireless/cordless system using DECT.   Grrr ...

drgeoff

Quote from: kayrjay on September 21, 2017, 09:42:07 PM
Well, the answer isn't what I want to hear.   The short story is that OBI can do what I want but it requires that the VIOP provider support something called SIP SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY packets to enable the Busy Lamp Field (BLF) feature to function.  My provider does not support this.  The only way I could do what I want appears to be a PBX, which is far to complex for me.

By the way, I'm using my 1062s over WiFi, and it's not working well.  I may have to ditch the 1062s, and go to an OBI202 and a wireless/cordless system using DECT.   Grrr ...

What exactly did Obihai say is needed?  If you search ebay for 'JS200-FX' you will find a manufacturer refurbished Asterisk PABX for $40 including shipping.  I have one of those in my cupboard but have never experimented to see if it supports BLF.

It isn't 100% plug and play but neither is it complicated.

I may be able to find some time next week to rig it up with an Obi1032 phone.  Can you provide the details from OBihai support?

drgeoff

Yes, I can confirm that the JS200-FX works the 'Busy Lamp Field' on the OBi1032 phone.

As a bonus, the JS200-FX also gives you two analogue phone ports.  Could be useful if you ever need to connect a fax machine.  (Or a plain wired phone.  It even supports pulse dialling!)

KevKan

drgeoff, please take a look at your messages.  Sent you a question about the JS200-FX.

Thanks

jccpa

*96 is bargein code. If you configure a speeddial button to your other phones/extensions:

Would barge in on Extension 31 (set under Link Devices on Obitalk. com)

Yes, I know this is an old post, but searching found this, hopefully this helps the next person