News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Extensions, Google Voice, and calls between obi1000 phones

Started by pointnlaugh7, September 22, 2017, 07:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointnlaugh7

Hi everyone. I run a work from home business using a Google Voice number and an obi1000 phone. I just hired a work from home employee. I want my eomployee to be able to take my calls using an obi1000 phone and my Google Voice number. I believe I could figure out how to  set up an extension for my employee using Obi link. But how  do I call my employee using our Obi phones, when the employee and I have the same Google Voice number?

drgeoff

OBi phones (and ATAs) can make calls between each other using the Obitalk network.  There should be a unique 9 digit number on a label on the underside of each phone.

Dial **9 followed by the 9 digit number of the other phone.  If desired you can configure a speed dial or one of the buttons in the lower left corner of the phone to do that.

You can also use that Obitalk network to transfer calls or have a 3 way call between you, employee and other party on the Google Voice line.  Hook flash to get dial tone, call the other phone, hook flash again.  Stay on the line for 3-way or hangup to transfer.

See page 74 of https://www1.obitalk.com/Downloads/dev/doc/OBiPhoneAdminGuide.pdf for more on Call Transfer and page 76 for Conference Calls.

pointnlaugh7

When my work-from-home employee sets up his obi1000 phone at his house, should he log in using my Obi ID and password, or should he make his own?

drgeoff

Quote from: pointnlaugh7 on October 09, 2017, 12:13:50 PM
When my work-from-home employee sets up his obi1000 phone at his house, should he log in using my Obi ID and password, or should he make his own?
Either will enable the things you asked about above but both of you may feel more "comfortable" with the extra little bit of privacy that comes from having separate accounts.  Of course if you wish to retain a high level of control you can add the second phone to your account on the portal.  No need for your employee to have the login details if only you will do the initial configuration and subsequent changes.

Having both on one account also permits you to link them as described at https://www.obitalk.com/ozone/link-devices.