News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Auto Provisioning OBi 100 Serries

Started by bsdaiwa, October 03, 2017, 05:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsdaiwa

Does anyone have a url address for the location of the latest (last) firmware for the OBi 100 series outside of OBi? I was able to setup my 200 series using this address (http://sipfone.co.uk/obihai/firmware/OBi2-latest.fw) but could not locate an address for the 100 series.
Thanks

drgeoff

What a roundabout way of saying that the link in the post at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.msg13#msg13 is broken.

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw was working when I typed this.  (2886 is the latest and likely to be the last ever for 100/110.)

WelshPaul

Quote from: bsdaiwa on October 03, 2017, 05:38:13 AM
Does anyone have a url address for the location of the latest (last) firmware for the OBi 100 series outside of OBi? I was able to setup my 200 series using this address (http://sipfone.co.uk/obihai/firmware/OBi2-latest.fw) but could not locate an address for the 100 series.
Thanks

I'm the owner of that domain...

As drgeoff points out above, the OBi100 and OBi110 are EOL and the last ever firmware release for those models is/was 1.3.0 (Build:2886). There will likely never be another firmware update for those devices, so you won't find any provisioning URL's offering firmware updates for them.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

bsdaiwa

Quote from: drgeoff on October 03, 2017, 07:22:02 AM
What a roundabout way of saying that the link in the post at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.msg13#msg13 is broken.

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw was working when I typed this.  (2886 is the latest and likely to be the last ever for 100/110.)

Actually I meant what I said, I wanted a site outside of OBi, thanks for the info.

SteveInWA

You must be the only person I have ever encountered who would rather download a firmware update from somewhere other than the official source provided by the manufacturer.  That's just bad security practice in general, in this era of sophisticated hacking.  Why would you need to do that?

bsdaiwa

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 03, 2017, 04:12:12 PM
You must be the only person I have ever encountered who would rather download a firmware update from somewhere other than the official source provided by the manufacturer.  That's just bad security practice in general, in this era of sophisticated hacking.  Why would you need to do that?
I have found that the official site is not always reliable so I wanted a backup. Not sure what is good or bad security practice when I see highly paid professionals that don't apply patches and allow hacking.

WelshPaul

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 03, 2017, 04:12:12 PM
You must be the only person I have ever encountered who would rather download a firmware update from somewhere other than the official source provided by the manufacturer.  That's just bad security practice in general, in this era of sophisticated hacking.  Why would you need to do that?

Last month just over 80GB of bandwidth was used from downloading that one firmware file alone. So no, the OP isn't the only person who would rather download a firmware update from somewhere other than the official source provided by the manufacturer.

The reason why I setup that URL was because not everyone can purchase the OBiTALK Premium Support and Extended Warranty. I'm an amazon.co.uk user and clicking on the link informs me that this service isn't available to me. So no more firmware updates (automatic or manual) for us once our 12 month warranty expires (unless a link is found and posted on these forums).

FYI, I always recommend that a user downloads any firmware files directly from the manufacturer. In this case, it's perfectly safe to set your device to auto download firmware updates from a third party provisioning URL. Firmware files are protected and if altered or tampered with in any way shape or form, the device will refuse to install it. The real danger comes when downloading such files directly to your desktop.

Bad things can happen to the best of them...

QuoteIssue Summary: Our new parent company, the security company Avast, determined on the 12th of September that the 32-bit version of our CCleaner v5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191 products, which may have been used by up to 3% of our users, had been compromised in a sophisticated manner. Piriform CCleaner v5.33.6162 was released on the 15th of August, and a regularly scheduled update to CCleaner, without compromised code, was released on the 12th of September. CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191 was released on the 24th of August, and updated with a version without compromised code on September 15. The compromise could cause the transmission of non-sensitive data (computer name, IP address, list of installed software, list of active software, list of network adapters) to a 3rd party computer server in the USA. We have no indications that any other data has been sent to the server.

Full Article

EDIT:
If you're using the sipfone URL outside the UK then take note:

1. There are two flavours of firmware, Generic and OBiEXTRA's. The latest generic version is 3.1.1 (Build: 5589), OBiEXTRA's is 3.1.1 (Build: 5695EX).

2. While I currently have OBiEXTRA's 3.1.1 (Build: 5695EX) available as the latest release at the sipfone URL, I will only be offering the generic firmware in future. The reason being, OBiEXTRA's is useless to us brits and i'm not even sure we can purchase it!

Business 411 Connect - Dial ** - Won't work for us brits
Custom Call Blocking - Dial *86 - Already have this for free
Caller ID Name with Number - All devices do this as standard (all except the OBi1000 range) and have done since forever
OBiFAX - Most decent SIP providers offer this service as standard and for free.

All the fixes in the Generic firmware are included in the OBiEXTRA's firmware, any firmware updates included in the OBiEXTRA's firmware is included in the Generic unless of course, it relates to the OBiEXTRA's service.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

drgeoff

Quote from: WelshPaul on October 04, 2017, 01:28:35 AM
Caller ID Name with Number - All devices do this as standard (all except the OBi1000 range) and have done since forever
Us Brits have no Caller ID Name service comparable to OBiEXTRAS.  The only way you can get a name to appear on your phone is to enter it into your own database against the Caller ID Number.  (Database in the phone, your PBX or wherever.)

WelshPaul

Quote from: drgeoff on October 04, 2017, 03:47:23 AM
Quote from: WelshPaul on October 04, 2017, 01:28:35 AM
Us Brits have no Caller ID Name service comparable to OBiEXTRAS.  The only way you can get a name to appear on your phone is to enter it into your own database against the Caller ID Number.  (Database in the phone, your PBX or wherever.)

Only if the caller is in your google contacts though right? So same limitations apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOjIM0Cepzc
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

bsdaiwa

Thanks to all you Brit's, your support is really appreciated.

SteveInWA

The reason why I setup that URL was because not everyone can purchase the OBiTALK Premium Support and Extended Warranty. I'm an amazon.co.uk user and clicking on the link informs me that this service isn't available to me. So no more firmware updates (automatic or manual) for us once our 12 month warranty expires (unless a link is found and posted on these forums).

There's no requirement that the device be under warranty nor under extended support, to manually download and install the firmware from Obihai's firmware server.