News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Want to be able to call a linked number.

Started by Alhassan, October 06, 2017, 04:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alhassan

Hello,

I have an OBI200 and cell both linked to the same GV number. They both ring when I call the GV number(which is what I want) but I can not call either one from each other. From the OBI I get vm and from the cell I get the GV menu. Any help would be great.

Thanks

SteveInWA

Hi there:

By default, calling your own Google Voice number from your linked mobile phone number assumes you want to access your Google Voice voicemail directly, not to ring your other forwarding destinations (OBi devices emulate Google Chat, which is treated as just another forwarding destination, like a 10-digit phone number).

To change this behavior, log into your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer, not from your mobile device, and go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings.

Click the 3-bar "hamburger" icon in the upper left corner, then click "Legacy Google Voice", then click the gear icon to go to the Phones tab of Settings.  Click the Edit button under your mobile number.  On the next page, click "Show advanced settings".

On the next page, change "Voicemail access" to "No", and then click the Save button at the bottom of the page.

Now, when you call your GV number from your mobile phone number, the other destinations will ring.  You can hit * to barge into your greeting and access voicemail if you wish, or just let someone answer the call.  See the screenshot below.

As for the other direction, that sounds like a call forwarding loop.  You can call your forwarding phone number(s) from your Google Voice number, but clearly, the call will go back to your GV voicemail or carrier voicemail if the phone is turned off, in airplane mode, busy or unanswered. 

Alhassan

It worked great calling from the cell to the OBI, thanks for your help. Now to figure out how to call the cell or the GV from OBI and to ring the cell phone.

SteveInWA

You should simply be able to directly call your cell phone number from the OBi-connected phone.

Does this phone have working mobile (cellular/LTE) service with a US carrier?  Which carrier/service provider are you using?  Can the phone receive regular telephone calls from other telephone numbers?

Alhassan

Yes it does have a number it is with Sprint. Making and receive call no problems. Just when I call from the OBI it sends the call to the GV voice mail. This cell is on the same GV number and it also has its own number. Whether you call the GV number or the cell number from the OBI it goes to GV VM.

Thanks