News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 no longer ringing for incoming calls

Started by Durbhasa, October 19, 2017, 11:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durbhasa

My OBi110 is no longer ringing for incoming calls.  If I pick up when someone is calling (say if I call myself from another phone), then the connection is made, but the phones don't actually ring.  This is a new(ish) development - I've had the OBi110 working with these phones for some time.

Outgoing calls work fine.

Is this a known problem?  And, if so, is there a fix?

SteveInWA

If the LEDs blink when the call is coming in, and you can pick up the phone and talk to the caller, then the only causes of this problem would be either that the ringer on your phone is turned down/off or broken, or the circuit inside the OBi that generates the ring voltage has gone bad.  Try some basic troubleshooting.  Plug a different telephone into the OBi to see if that other phone will ring.  Take the non-ringing phone somewhere and plug it into a known-working phone jack to see if it will ring, and so on.

Durbhasa

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 19, 2017, 12:07:47 PM
If the LEDs blink when the call is coming in, and you can pick up the phone and talk to the caller, then the only causes of this problem would be either that the ringer on your phone is turned down/off or broken, or the circuit inside the OBi that generates the ring voltage has gone bad.  Try some basic troubleshooting.  Plug a different telephone into the OBi to see if that other phone will ring.  Take the non-ringing phone somewhere and plug it into a known-working phone jack to see if it will ring, and so on.

Phone can connect, but doesn't ring. Tried another phone, also doesn't ring. So I assume the circuit that generates the ring voltage must have gone bad. Is there any way of repairing this?

drgeoff

Quote from: Durbhasa on October 26, 2017, 12:40:53 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on October 19, 2017, 12:07:47 PM

Phone can connect, but doesn't ring. Tried another phone, also doesn't ring. So I assume the circuit that generates the ring voltage must have gone bad. Is there any way of repairing this?
You seem to have ignored both what SteveInWA wrote about the LED and what I wrote about repair in the other thread you posted in.

SteveInWA

Well, did you, or did you not follow my instructions?  You didn't confirm any of the test results.

Durbhasa

I did confirm the results I could confirm. I do not have a phone jack to plug the first phone into, nor do I have any reason to believe there is anything wrong with it. I did try a different phone with the Obihai, and observed the same behaviour: in both cases I can connect (and LEDs flash) but there is no ring.

What was written in the other thread is "is not repairable by an ordinary end-user" which is not the same as not being repairable in general.

SteveInWA

Then, throw away the 110, and buy a new OBi.  If you don't need the POTS line feature of the 110 (you aren't connecting a traditional/external land line to the OBi, then buy a 200.  If you need the POTS line feature, buy a 212.