News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Apartment building uses phone service for intercom

Started by CmdrWestside, August 02, 2011, 06:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CmdrWestside

This is a weird one...

My building has somebody's hardware in the basement that sends double-short-rings to my regular phone to indicate that the doorman is calling, when I pick up I get connected directly to the door.

This worked fine (although it disconnects my DSL service temporarily) however it's not working with my brand new OBI110... this isn't entirely unexpected given that it seems like a brute force/blunt object means of overriding normal phone behavior.

Is there any point in pursuing setup for the 110?  The obvious choice is just to use the 110 as a 100 and not use the line in/out function of the 110, which is fine by me.

Just curious if anybody has seen this sort of thing...

Thanks in advance,

Dave

AmigaDude

My guess is that it is, as you say, a brute force line takeover by some antiquated apartment building system.  Surprised you are willing to deal with the DSL drops, actually I'm surprised the phone co let you have DSL.  But that's another story.

Exactly what is the problem?  Does the phone not ring?  Does it not connect when you pickup?

CmdrWestside

Actually the 'intercom' is fairly new, we had a built in one in every apartment but it crapped out over the last 90 years :P.

The OBi works perfectly, it's the intercom that doesn't work.  My router reinitializes and that starts the DSL box after a few seconds,  so it's not too annoying.  Until it explodes, that is.

I have two pair coming in to my apartment, I'm thinking of seeing if I can get them to put the intercom on the spare...

I was hoping for a miracle reply to my post, it is just weird,

Thanks for your reply...

OBiSupport

If the problem is caused by double-short-ring, you may need to change ring detection on LINE port -

Physical Interface -> LINE port -> Ring Detection ->

Ringing validation is set to 256 ms by default, you may shorten it to 100 ms.

You may also change to a low RingThreshold if the ring voltage is lower than regular PSTN line.

Contact us at support@obihai, if you cannot get it to work, we like to help you out...

CmdrWestside

Thanks for the offer, that's very nice of you.

I think I'll try a three-way splitter (DSL, 110, and plain old phone) and see if I can just let the intercom ring the plain old phone :-)... that would save a lot of trouble.

Dave

PS  if you want to experiment with this type of intercom to add it to your database let me know...