News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi100 Cannot Update Firmware

Started by Javelina, October 24, 2017, 08:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javelina

When I click on the link given for a firmware updata, I get a 404 erro message. I tried another model and the download appeared (although I hit cancel so as not to download). What could be the problem. FWIW, I use a VPN, but the fact that it didn't seem to effect other downloads leads me to believe that's not an issue). I cannot get the OBi110 to work at all. Thanks for any help!

drgeoff

Javelina

Thanks very much for posting this. Unfortunately when I download it and try to open it is asks for an associated program and I have no idea what to use to run the firmware update. Apologies for bothering you again, but if you can help that would be fantastic. Thanks.

Javelina

PS: The OBi does not appear in my Windows Control Panel although it is plugged into my router.

drgeoff

1. Follow the instructions in Option 3 at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.msg13#msg13

2. You do not run that downloaded firmware file. It is not a program.

3. An OBi never appears in Windows Control Panel.

4. To load a firmware your OBi must be functional to some extent. What state is yours in? What are the LEDs doing? Do you have dial tone? What do you hear after dialling ***1? What do you hear after dialling **9 222 222 222?

Javelina

When I hook up a phone and dial either of those numbers, I hear some vague clicking sounds and then a more distinct sound that sounds more like a hang up. However, I get no tone or anything at all. On my OBi are twio alternating green lights on the outside and and then a red blink in the middle.

drgeoff

Have you had this OBi110 and this phone working together before or is this a fresh OBi110 that you are attempting to use for the first time?

When you take the phone off-hook do you hear dial tone. You already failed to answer that. If yes, is the phone a pulse dial only one or set to pulse dial? OBis will only work with tone dialling. (aka TouchTone or DTMF.)

An OBi110 has 4 LEDs. There is no middle LED.

Javelina

Apologies, this is an OBi100, not a 110. I haer nothing at all and am using an old style touch tone phone.

drgeoff

I can only help you if you answer all the questions.

Is it correct that you do not hear dial tone when you lift the handset?

Javelina

This is an OBi100 that has been sitting in a box for well over a year. I have never tried to set it up before. I do not hear a dial tone and trying to dial the various numbers results in the same pattern of repeating clicks but never a connection. Thank you.

drgeoff

Was it bought new from a reputable supplier such as Amazon or from eBay etc or yard sale?

Javelina

I assume I bought it from Amazon as that's where I buy 95% of my purchases.

drgeoff

Step by step:

1. Unplug everything from the OBi100. Unplug power supply from 110 volt outlet.

2. Plug the power supply into the 110 volt outlet.

3. Plug in the OBi power supply into the OBi100.

At this point the left LED should be red for a few seconds, then change to alternating between green and off. Other two LEDs off.

4. Connect the phone to the OB100.

At this point the LEDs should still be left one flashing green and off and the other two off.

5. Take the phone off-hook.

At this point the left should be flashing as before and the right LED should be flashing between green and off. You should hear dial tone in the phone.

Javelina

Thanks for the reply, but I followed the instructions and the problem remains. There is no dial tone and the light on the right flashes green then red. All I hear on the phone is an occasional clicking noise, same as before.

drgeoff

I should not need to ask this but getting useful info from you is like getting blood from a stone.

Please say at which steps my "should" is not the same as what you see/hear.

And at each of those steps please report everything that is different.

Is the phone plugged directly into the OBi100 or is the phone plugged into phone wiring in the house and the OBi100 plugged into house phone wiring?

Javelina

Apologies. I have a dial tone now. However, as your instructions mentioned nothing about the ethernet cable which I had plugged into the OBi before, I removed the ethernet cable and as a result I now have a dial tone.

I just dialed the **9-222-222-222 number and got a recording that my IP address is unavailable (error 00).

Where do I go from here? Thanks.

drgeoff

It is difficult to help you if I cannot be sure that you are accurately following my instructions.  I told you to unplug everything from the OBi. Nowhere after that did I tell you to plug in the ethernet cable.

Are you saying that plugging in and unplugging the ethernet cable is the ONLY change that makes dial tone present or not? And can you confirm which LED is or was flashing red and green? Left is the same side as the O in OBi and right is the same side as the final zero in 100 on the top of the unit.

The spoken error message is to be expected when there is no ethernet connection.

Javelina

Yes, it's the Ethernet cable that made the difference. When removed, I was able to get a dial tone. At this point, the right LED is flashing green. The left LED begins to flash when I lift the receiver of the phone. The middle LED is off.

drgeoff

Quote from: Javelina on October 25, 2017, 10:09:18 AM
The left LED begins to flash when I lift the receiver of the phone.
Sorry but I have difficulty to believe that.

Of the 3 LEDs, the one most to the right has a small black symbol of a phone just below it. That is the one that should flash green when you take the phone off-hook and be off when on-hook.

Javelina

Yes, the LED with the phone logo flashes only when I lift the receiver. The other LED flashes green all the time whether the phone receiver has been lifted or not. (Left or right depends on which way you're looking at the OBi)