News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SIP Phone with ATT Voice (OBI110)

Started by ATTHelp, October 26, 2017, 02:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATTHelp

Hello All -

I am trying to set up a Vtech VCS752 Conference phone to work with an existing ATT Voice line. I was told that the OBI110 would work but cant find much in the way of how to set this up. Just to clarify, I am not looking to port the number to GV; simple use the existing analog line to make/receive calls from an SIP phone. Thanks in advance.

ATTHelp

Thank you so much. With the 212, how difficult is that to configure in this instance?

eta --- not sure why previous post was removed.

drgeoff

I deleted this earlier reply as I had second thoughts about my statement that an unaided OBi110 could not be made to work. However the OBi212 would be easier. Method is essentially the same as for an OBi202 as described in http://web.archive.org/web/20160317011451/http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi-VoIP-Device-Attach-Legacy-IP-Phone-Workbook-v1-0.pdf

_____

1. The OBi110 is no longer in production and has been replaced by the OBi212.

2. An OBi212 can do what you require. It has an FXO port to connect to an analogue telco (POTS/PSTN) line and a SIP phone can register to it.

3. An OBi110 by itself is not capable of doing what you require. It does have the FXO port but is unable to act as a SIP server that an IP phone can register to. If you have a SIP PABX (eg Asterisk, 3CX etc) then both the OBi110 and the SIP phone can register to that. The OBi can then forward incoming calls to its FXO port to the phone and vice versa as extension to extension calls on the PABX. If you don't have a SIP PABX you would need to register the OBi110 and phone with an external ITSP and forward calls via that ITSP.

_____

drgeoff

Further to my second thoughts mentioned above, after more deliberation I changed my opinion about the OBi110. It should be capable of doing the job but might require a small workaround.

The OBi110 is perfectly capable of forwarding ("bridging") an incoming call on its LINE port directly to the IP address of the VTech. So receiving calls is OK.

The potential issue is with outgoing calls. The VTech cannot SIP register to the OBi110. Some IP phones cannot make outgoing calls if they are not SIP registered. If the VTech can, then no problem. Configure it to send ougoing calls to the OBi110 and configure the OBi to bridge to the LINE port.

If the VTech cannot make calls if not SIP registered there is a workaround. An ordinary analogue phone plugged in to the PHONE port of the OBi can be used to dial the call, then hook flash and dial a speedcall number configured on the OBi to call the VTech's IP address. Then hang up the phone and the call continues between the VTech and the distant party.

Even if you don't need the analogue phone to make outgoing calls, you may want one anyway with either an OBi110 or OBi212. The OBi can be configured to have incoming LINE calls ring both the analogue phone and the SIP phone. Answer the call on either. And choice of which to use for outging calls.