News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi302 with bluetooth dongle

Started by randulo, October 28, 2017, 09:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randulo

Hi,

I've just now gotten to using the Obi302 I got at a Kamailio WOrld a few years ago! I was trying to get it to call through my cellphone via bluetooth, but I haven't been able to get it to work. I have tried with two phones, a Nexus 5 and a OnePLus 3T.

In both cases, I am able to pair the Obi with the phone. Using the *28 code and a number brings the "no provider" message. I tried setting the primary channel to BT and it shows as such in the web interface. Nothing I did made any difference.

Should this work? Or did I misunderstand the point of the bluetooth dongle?

drgeoff

Yes, you should be able to use the phone plugged in to the OBi to make calls using your cellular provider.  And calls to your cellphone number should ring the phone plugged in to the Obi.  Do they and can you converse with such callers?

randulo

No, as I said, neither of my Android phones work this way, though each will pair with the Obi302. So a phone is paired, phone audio and contacts checked in the bluetooth config.

First I followed instructions on the bt dongle and tried *28nnn. "No service configured" message. Then I tried calling the phone and that didn't work either. By the way, my main phone works fine using bluetooth with an Invoxia deskphone phone. In other words, when the cellphone is called it rings, and the desk phone rings and can be answered.

After no luch with the **28, I tries advanced config options to set bt as the primary line service. Still no joy.

I was just wondering if anyone has actually got this working.  And could I have an ancient firmware that didn't update? (Will check the version now, this just occurred to me.)

drgeoff

Quote from: randulo on October 29, 2017, 01:51:51 AM
No, as I said, neither of my Android phones work this way, though each will pair with the Obi302. So a phone is paired, phone audio and contacts checked in the bluetooth config.

First I followed instructions on the bt dongle and tried *28nnn. "No service configured" message. Then I tried calling the phone and that didn't work either. By the way, my main phone works fine using bluetooth with an Invoxia deskphone phone. In other words, when the cellphone is called it rings, and the desk phone rings and can be answered.

After no luch with the **28, I tries advanced config options to set bt as the primary line service. Still no joy.

I was just wondering if anyone has actually got this working.  And could I have an ancient firmware that didn't update? (Will check the version now, this just occurred to me.)
Perhaps you are not understanding.

The *28 is a one-time thing.  It puts the OBiBT into discoverable mode so that you can pair the phone with it.  Once paired, unless you deliberately unpair, you should not need to dial *28 again.

If you have set BT as the Primary Line for whichever of PHONE1 or PHONE2 you are using you just dial the number as you normally would on the cellphone.  No prefix necessary.

When the BT is not the Primary Line the prefix needed is not *28.  It is **8.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obibt 

randulo

Quote from: drgeoff on October 29, 2017, 04:04:18 AM
Perhaps you are not understanding.
The *28 is a one-time thing.  It puts the OBiBT into discoverable mode so that you can pair the phone with it.  Once paired, unless you deliberately unpair, you should not need to dial *28 again.

No, I misspoke, I'm sorry and appreciate someone replying. I apologize for the waste of time from that error!

Yes, of course I only used *28 to pair, and did it on two phones at different times, but both paired ok.

I was indeed trying **8 prefix code to dial out on the Bluetooth adapter to the paired phone, and got the no setup message.

Then, I configured bt as the primary line and it still neither called out nor rang when I called the phone. The reason I find this possibility interesting is that I am sitting in a location that has very poor cell service, even for voice. Right above me is a place where the cell phone could site and I'm fairly sure it could be controlled via bt because it worked with the Invoxia, at least for incoming calls. (I didn't test outgoing.)

The web interface on obitalk doesn't show a yellow sign for a firmware update, so I guess it isn't that. For the moment, I've given up and turned it off, unless someone has any suggestions.

Oh, and I did factory resets as well. The unit, when programmed to log in to an ITSP does perform as expected. It is only the bluetooth calls that I can not get working.

drgeoff

If it is more than 1 year since you first added the OBi to the portal and you don't have a current 'maintenance' subscription on it, the yellow mark will not function. (Nor the ***6 enquiry)

The latest firmware for 200/202/300/302 that is officially listed by Obihai is 5463EX.  You can get that via the link in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0.  (Even though the text below the link has a lower number.) Follow the instructions in that Option 3 to manually update the firmware.

Or see http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.msg83600#msg83600 for the even later 5735 firmware.

randulo

Quote from: drgeoff on October 29, 2017, 05:05:05 AM
If it is more than 1 year since you first added the OBi to the portal and you don't have a current 'maintenance' subscription on it, the yellow mark will not function. (Nor the ***6 enquiry)

The latest firmware for 200/202/300/302 that is officially listed by Obihai is 5463EX.  You can get that via the link in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0.  (Even though the text below the link has a lower number.) Follow the instructions in that Option 3 to manually update the firmware.

Or see http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.msg83600#msg83600 for the even later 5735 firmware.
Thanks, yes I should try that manual upgrade, but I just added it and the support started yesterday. Will investigate.

randulo

The current version on the Obi is 3.2.1.5735 so that is not it, either. Again thanks.
I'll try again since everything is on and connected.

randulo

Looks like I have an answer, but I don't know why. The dongle is plugged in and physically appears to be in all the way.

SteveInWA

You didn't mention whether or not the Bluetooth dongle you are using is a genuine OBiBT.  It won't work with a generic Bluetooth dongle.

randulo

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 29, 2017, 10:24:54 AM
You didn't mention whether or not the Bluetooth dongle you are using is a genuine OBiBT.  It won't work with a generic Bluetooth dongle.
Yes, I got it in Berlin from the UK Obi guy. It blinks kind of randomly, as if it's working, too.

SteveInWA

And, did you get the OBi 302 from the "UK Obi guy", too?  Or, did you get it from an ITSP?  If the latter, it could be locked to that ITSP for all calls.

randulo

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 29, 2017, 10:45:22 AM
And, did you get the OBi 302 from the "UK Obi guy", too?  Or, did you get it from an ITSP?  If the latter, it could be locked to that ITSP for all calls.
I did get it from Obi, and I think it was from the same guy (sorry, mate, I can't think of your name just now!). Your comment is definitely correct, it could have been locked, but it did come from them. I also have a 110 I used briefly with Google Voice.