News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Creating Google Voice account for OBiTalk use

Started by vishalg_99, October 30, 2017, 01:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vishalg_99

Hello,

I just bought an Obi202 to use with Google Voice.
I don't have a Google Voice account yet. As I proceed to create one I find myself awfully confused. This is my scenario:

1. We have two cell phone numbers: my wife's work phone, and my Project Fi phone.
2. We have one VOIP/Ooma number.
3. We used to have a land line that will be replaced by this Obi device. To that end I have ported the land line number to a T-Mobile prepaid cell phone because Google Voice will not port a land line number directly.

Now, I gather, I first need to create a Google Voice account with an arbitrary number that I can subsequently replace with my ported (land line) number. Very good. The thing is, as I try to create the GV account, I am asked to provide a forwarding number. How should I deal with this? In a sense, this GV account will be forwarding to my Obi device. But I don't believe I can use the Obi device number. I imagine I can't use my land line number that is currently sitting on the T-mobile cell phone, because the GV port process might get very confused to find the porting number to be the same as forwarding number on account, correct?
What should I do?
I don't want to use either of our cell phones as forwarding numbers because I don't want any call to this relocated land line number going there. Not even sure if GV will accept Project Fi number as a forwarding number.
Very confused.
Please help,

Thanks!!

LTN1

Check first if your number can be ported into Google Voice: https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/porting?pli=1

What does the message say when you enter your number?

If it says this, "Msg: Ooops! This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support...," you won't be able to port your number and it will then help you to plan how to open and use your GV account--perhaps with another number.

If you are able to port, then you should be able to use your current T-Mobile number that you ported from your landline as a forwarding number. That forwarding number then should be able to be ported to GV if you don't get the above "Ooops! This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support..." message.

vishalg_99

"Check first if your number can be ported into Google Voice: https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/porting?pli=1"

Yes, I have already done that test. The number is eligible for porting to GV.

"If you are able to port, then you should be able to use your current T-Mobile number that you ported from your landline as a forwarding number."

I understand that. But subsequently I am going to port that T-Mobile number to this GV account. Are you saying GV won't object to having already used this number as a forwarding number while setting up the GV account?

Thanks!

SteveInWA

The procedure for porting a number into a new Google Voice setup has changed.  Please see:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13079.msg83785#msg83785

Delete the linked/forwarding T-Mobile number off of the account and then port it in.

Taoman

Use your wife's cell number as a forwarding number when creating the Google Voice account. Once the account has been created you can then remove your wife's number as a forwarding number. You can then start the porting process.

If you only plan on forwarding to your OBi device be sure and check Google Chat here:
https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones

LTN1

Quote from: vishalg_99 on October 30, 2017, 02:27:49 PM
"Check first if your number can be ported into Google Voice: https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/porting?pli=1"

Yes, I have already done that test. The number is eligible for porting to GV.

"If you are able to port, then you should be able to use your current T-Mobile number that you ported from your landline as a forwarding number."

I understand that. But subsequently I am going to port that T-Mobile number to this GV account. Are you saying GV won't object to having already used this number as a forwarding number while setting up the GV account?

Thanks!

Steve's updated advice completes the process. The answer to your last question is yes.

You may want to use your T-Mobile number that you ported and have confirmed as portable to GV and not your wife's. The reason is just in case you want to use your wife's cell number (or she wants to open a GV account) on another GV account (say for her) and need to use her cell number as a forwarding number.

SteveInWA

You may want to use your T-Mobile number that you ported and have confirmed as portable to GV and not your wife's. The reason is just in case you want to use your wife's cell number (or she wants to open a GV account) on another GV account (say for her) and need to use her cell number as a forwarding number.

This is why I posted what I posted.

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 30, 2017, 04:39:07 PM

This is why I posted what I posted.

Wise as usual, Steve. My re-emphasis was just in case he was going to go with Taoman's advice right after yours.