News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 won't reset after power outage. Any suggestions?

Started by Linda-B, October 31, 2017, 06:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linda-B

Lately, every time we have a power outage, the Obi200 won't reset.  I have to disconnect and reconnect the power source.   I get a SIP offline alert from Anveo when this happens.  It used to reconnect itself automatically.   I haven't changed any settings, although last time it happened, I did a firmware update.  Is there a setting that needs to be changed, or is it possibly my Obi dying?

Thanks.

GPz1100

What do you mean by won't reset?  Does the unit power off entirely but won't power back on?

Or does the unit power back on but doesn't have connectivity?

Linda-B

The unit powers back on but there's no connectivity.   I'm not sure, but I think the third green light isn't lit at the time. 

SteveInWA

Typically, (and assuming the OBi isn't defective), this is caused by the OBi being unable to get an IP address from the DHCP server in your router. 

Unplug your OBi from power.  Unplug your router from power.  Wait 10 seconds.  Plug your router back into power, and wait several minutes for it to completely boot up.  Then, plug in your OBi and wait for it to completely boot up.

If this happens again, then, before doing anything else, pick up the phone attached to the OBi and key in ***1 and listen to the automated voice.  It should say "Your IP address is..." followed by either a 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x address.  Post back with what happens.

I'd also suggest you buy a UPS and plug both the router and OBi into it.

azrobert

Quote from: Linda-B on October 31, 2017, 06:02:23 AM
I have to disconnect and reconnect the power source.

Do you remember the firmware level you had before upgrading? You can revert back to that level and see if that resolves the problem.

I had a different problem introduced to my OBi1032 last January after a firmware upgrade. It finally got resolve with the last upgrade a few days ago.

GPz1100

This is odd indeed.

After a power failure I would expect the obi to keep trying to to obtain an IP untill successful.  Such is the behavior with firmware 3.1.1 (Build: 5462EX).  The obi has other dhcp issues, but those are not relevant here as your until is coming back up from a power off state.

My set up here is far more complicated, involving a hardware firewall/router, wifi ap's, switches, etc.  It literally takes upwards of 4-5 minutes for the network connectivity to be fully reestablished after a total powerloss/shutdown.

In general, firmware updates are not preferred unless they fix a specific issue i'm having.  Many times you end up with other functions getting broken (albeit operational dhcp is vital to network access).  I know there are newer builds than what I have, but it works fine.  When it stops (or google makes changes) then I'll consider updating.

A ups will help, but how much?  I have a cyberpower 1350 connected to my network parts (modem, ap, firewall, a switch, and the obi).  According to the status page everything consumes ~40 watts resulting in estimated battery runtime of about 90 minutes.  Great for a brief outage but not for one lasting 2hrs + (happens on occasion in this area).  Say the typical set up with a modem, router and obi will give you 2 1/2 hours.  Still, once battery is exhausted, everything will shut down.  Instead, I configured everything to shutdown after a certain amount of time (haven't settled on a good number yet, probably 15 minutes).  Once power is restored, everything boots backup.

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on October 31, 2017, 02:51:39 PM
I have to disconnect and reconnect the power source.

Do you remember the firmware level you had before upgrading? You can revert back to that level and see if that resolves the problem.

I had a different problem introduced to my OBi1032 last January after a firmware upgrade. It finally got resolve with the last upgrade a few days ago.

This has nothing to do with firmware level.  I have multiple OBi 20x devices that have run on nearly every firmware release over the past few years, and I have power outages here regularly.  I have never had this issue.  It is usually caused by a router issue.  That's why I asked the OP to check next time to see if the device is getting an IP address.

SteveInWA

Quote from: GPz1100 on October 31, 2017, 02:54:49 PM
This is odd indeed.

After a power failure I would expect the obi to keep trying to to obtain an IP untill successful.  Such is the behavior with firmware 3.1.1 (Build: 5462EX).  The obi has other dhcp issues, but those are not relevant here as your until is coming back up from a power off state.

My set up here is far more complicated, involving a hardware firewall/router, wifi ap's, switches, etc.  It literally takes upwards of 4-5 minutes for the network connectivity to be fully reestablished after a total powerloss/shutdown.

In general, firmware updates are not preferred unless they fix a specific issue i'm having.  Many times you end up with other functions getting broken (albeit operational dhcp is vital to network access).  I know there are newer builds than what I have, but it works fine.  When it stops (or google makes changes) then I'll consider updating.

A ups will help, but how much?  I have a cyberpower 1350 connected to my network parts (modem, ap, firewall, a switch, and the obi).  According to the status page everything consumes ~40 watts resulting in estimated battery runtime of about 90 minutes.  Great for a brief outage but not for one lasting 2hrs + (happens on occasion in this area).  Say the typical set up with a modem, router and obi will give you 2 1/2 hours.  Still, once battery is exhausted, everything will shut down.  Instead, I configured everything to shutdown after a certain amount of time (haven't settled on a good number yet, probably 15 minutes).  Once power is restored, everything boots backup.

That's swell, but in your case, you are actually powering your router on/off, which would likely correct the problem if if the OBi is trying to get an IP address.  Since the majority of power line disturbances are brief, a UPS would substantially reduce the number of times this might happen.

azrobert

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 31, 2017, 03:05:00 PM
This has nothing to do with firmware level.  I have multiple OBi 20x devices that have run on nearly every firmware release over the past few years, and I have power outages here regularly.  I have never had this issue.  It is usually caused by a router issue.  That's why I asked the OP to check next time to see if the device is getting an IP address.

Are you saying a firmware upgrade can't cause connectivity problems? I totally disagree! Just because you never had this problem does mean squat. The problem stated above with my OBi1032 was an intermittent connectivity problem. Most of the time my OBi1032 wouldn't get an IP address via WiFi after a power up. It would get stuck in acquiring IP address. This problem was introduced with build 4027. This build had enhancements to WPA-PSK support. I reverted back to my previous build 3496 and the problem disappeared.  I lived with this problem because I found a workaround. Disabling/enabling WiFi once or twice cause a "Reboot because of WiFi changes".  After the automatic reboot the OBi1032 would get an IP address. Subsequent reboots worked, but the next power cycle would have the same problem. The last upgrade 4643 fixed the problem. Zero changes or upgrades to my router.

I never saw a post about this problem. Have you had this problem? If not, does this mean I'm hallucinating? 

I want to be clear. I'm not saying this IS a firmware problem. It can't hurt to check.

SteveInWA

Linda-B:

Assuming your OBi 200 is currently working and online, pick up the phone attached to the OBi and key in ***0 then 1# and listen to the voice read out your firmware level.  Post it in your reply.

Also, you referred to Anveo.  Do you have any other service providers (Google Voice, Callentric, etc.) configured on this OBi?

Are you using an Ethernet cable to connect the OBi to the router, or an OBiWiFi dongle?

Linda-B

I only updated the firmware because this happened maybe last week.  Previously, I hadn't looked at my ObiTalk dashboard for months and months.   I saw it had a firmware update available, thought that might solve the problem, so I updated, and it didn't help.   The next power outage, the same thing happened, it lost connectivity.

The firmware level is 3.1.1.5463.   I do have Google Voice and Callcentric, as well as Anveo.  I had Anveo first for the 911 calls.  When I got Callcentric, I kept the Anveo because it informs you when your service is out.  Otherwise, if I didn't try to make a call, I wouldn't even know it was out. 

I did notice this last time I had the problem, Google Voice was connected, but Callcentric and Anveo were not registering. 

GPz1100

Linda, I'm curious, when you have this issue, have you attempted to log into the obi device itself to see what errors appear on the status page?  This might shed light on what the issue is.

Everything under WAN status should be populated.

Under SPx (where x is the SP slot you're using), it'll have some error code or wording under the value column.

Linda-B

I guess I haven't, since I don't know how to log into the device.   All I've done is gone to my OBi dashboard.  how would I log into the device?

drgeoff

Quote from: Linda-B on November 02, 2017, 04:34:53 AM
I guess I haven't, since I don't know how to log into the device.   All I've done is gone to my OBi dashboard.  how would I log into the device?
Dial ***1 and listen for the OBi;s IP address to be read out to you.  Point a browser at that address.  The login username and password are both admin if you have not changed the latter from its default value.

Linda-B

Thank you.

Parameter Name   Value   
AddressingType   DHCP   
IPAddress   192.168.1.67   help
SubnetMask   255.255.255.0   help
DefaultGateway   192.168.1.254   help
DNSServer1   192.168.1.254   help
DNSServer2      help
MACAddress   9CADEF6110C3   help
LLDP-MEDStatus   Disabled   help

Linda-B

Thank you.

It's working fine now, but this is what it reads:

Parameter Name   Value   
AddressingType         DHCP   
IPAddress           192.168.1.67   
SubnetMask   255.255.255.0   
DefaultGateway   192.168.1.254   
DNSServer1   192.168.1.254   
DNSServer2      
MACAddress    9CADEF6110C3   
LLDP-MEDStatus   Disabled   

GPz1100

Linda,

Check the values above when you're having the issue. Are they same or different?

Linda-B

I'll check it again then.   Maybe I should go turn the breaker off to simulate the power outage.  I'll try that tonight and post back here with what happens.

Linda-B

So I turned the breaker on, waiting until I got the email from Anveo that it lost connectivity, and turned it back on.  Of course, everything came back on the way it's supposed to, with the Obi working perfectly.  Maybe it fixed itself.  Lol.  I guess I'll have to wait for another real power outage to test it. 

stany

Lately, every time we have a power outage, the Obi200 won't reset.  I have to disconnect and reconnect the power source.   I get a SIP offline alert from Anveo when this happens.  It used to reconnect itself automatically.   I haven't changed any settings, although last time it happened, I did a firmware update.  Is there a setting that needs to be changed, or is it possibly my Obi dying?

Thanks.

We usually turn off our OBi 200 together with the router and the modem (to avoid the unhealthy radio waves during the night) and then turn the whole system on in the morning (incl. the  OBi 200). We had no problems in the past before your latest firmware upgrade.

Now since the last couple of weeks every time we turn the OBi 200 off and then on we loose our telephone line connection and I have to go to my office (since there is no connection of any kind at home because of that problem), connect to OBi Dashboard, click on my SP1 Callcentric Account (the only one I have) and push the Submit button.

This morning I'm trying to do it even  for the second time and still I see a red text "Offline" on my OBi Dashboard.

This is ridiculous and is unacceptable.
Please advise how to resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Stan Zhekov