News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Fix for OBI100, 110 Backing off: TCP connection failure

Started by BachPhi, November 04, 2017, 11:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BachPhi

Since OBI stop supporting these products, here is what works  for now as off 11/4/2017:

1. Free , try changing DNS servers to:
or

2. Pay 5.99 to https://simonics.com/gw/
Service Provider Proxy Server = gvgw.simonics.com
Service Provider Proxy Server Port = 5060
Outbound Proxy Server = gvgw.simonics.com
Outbound Proxy Server Port = 5060
Username = GV18005551212
Password = {PASSWORD}
URI = <blank> (nothing)

drgeoff

1. Don't expect your solution #1 to be a long or even medium term fix.

2.  That GV1800... string needs to contain the real GV number and will be different for everyone.

GPz1100

I saw the same #2 details posted by someone else in an earlier thread.

I'd say the only other free option is to set up a pbx such as freepbx (https://www.freepbx.org/) in a virtual or separate machine (or a raspberry pi).  It works, in fact it works great, but the learning curve is super steep.  Unless you like to tinker with such things, the time investment isn't worth it. Majority of unsupported device users should be fine with Simoncs gateway.

It's important to note, the $5.99 fee is not recurring.  You pay it once. You also get CNAM which is caller id name for inbound calls.  Something a direct gv connection does not offer.

philsworld

I assume that the proxy server info is added after logging into the Obi device and then going to Service Providers->ITSP Profile A->SIP?

However, I do not see where to put in the username, password, and URI. Can you please clarify where that information can be updated?

Thanks!

GPz1100

@OP, if you're going to copy someone's work, link to it directly.  Your post is meaningless out of context.

@philsworld, here's the original post where the op copied the text from
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13022.msg84210#msg84210

It looks like those fields were taken directly from the obitalk portal, generic service provider.

If you're doing it manually, it's under voice services/SPx service/Sip credentials.  You'll also have to configure under service providers/itsp profile {a..d} the respective sip parameters.  I'd say do it through obitalk unless you understand what goes where in the manual config.

I'll look at the settings I'm using for my pbx connection later and try to post screen shots.  The simonics settings should go into similar fields.

philsworld

@GPz1100 Thank you very much for the additional info! I was able to get my device working again after following the information in the original post that you linked.

For anyone else that is having trouble finding the "Generic Service Provider" option that the original post refers to do the following:
- click the "Service Provider Setup" button
- click on OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers
- at the very bottom of the list you will see a link for "Generic Service Provider"

GPz1100

Glad it worked for you.  It looks like additional intermediate steps could be added to that post to help locate the generic profile.

Since you've already gone through this, can you log into your obi locally and either paste screen shots or copy/paste of the fields that get modified under Service Providers & Voice Services.  Edit out any identifying info.  They're easy to identify - look in the right margin for anything without a check mark under the default column.  Those are the settings the portal changed.

Rick

Haven't been on this forum in a long time.  OBi's lack of communication skills, pun intended, had me not coming back.

My 110 has been working fine until this week, couldn't make a call today, so I go on and see the issues, and of course the well-mannered responses of a certain person...

I changed my servers and today it still works.  Will look more into what it takes to setup my own server, but don't know what I will do.

I sometimes send faxes, and like the speakerphone aspect of my housephone over my cell, and have Callcentric setup for 911 and free incoming calls, so my incoming GV comes via Callcentric (for the $1.50 a month fee).  Cheapest solution is likely to make outgoing calls on my cell with GV ringing it to display my home number, and to fax via Callcentric for the $0.02 per minute they charge as it is rare.

SteveInWA

Quote from: BachPhi on November 04, 2017, 11:38:58 AM
Since OBI stop supporting these products, here is what works  for now as off 11/4/2017:

1. Free , try changing DNS servers to:
or

2. Pay 5.99 to https://simonics.com/gw/
Service Provider Proxy Server = gvgw.simonics.com
Service Provider Proxy Server Port = 5060
Outbound Proxy Server = gvgw.simonics.com
Outbound Proxy Server Port = 5060
Username = GV18005551212
Password = {PASSWORD}
URI = <blank> (nothing)

Changing DNS servers is not going to fix anything.  This is not a DNS issue.

MikeGJ

Came on here to find out why my Obi110 went out suddenly, and figured it was done for. The next day it was back up and working - and I don't think I did anything!!
Anyone have a possible reason as to why it started working again?  was getting backing off error on GV but now I have connected.
Just wondering.

Will probably stump for a 200 soon, but I will miss the ability of the 110 to use the landline to dial out for 911.
Aside, I just found out my landline connection is dead... (don't use it anymore but it was working when I switched my landline to cell then GV) - which is why I had my Obi doing 911 that way. CenturyLink mustve physically disconnected me at some point after dropping them? Good job I've never needed 911 from home or anywhere else for that matter.

Novice

Can anyone comment if there is any added delay or degradation by going with the Simonics gateway solution vs connecting directly to Google xmpp by buying a obi200

drgeoff

Quote from: Novice on November 11, 2017, 10:52:26 PM
Can anyone comment if there is any added delay or degradation by going with the Simonics gateway solution vs connecting directly to Google xmpp by buying a obi200
The pedantic answer to your question is yes there is added delay.  Delay can degrade the perceived quality of a service.

However in more detail:

1.  Yes for both incoming and outgoing calls there is extra time before the called phone starts to ring.  This is rarely a problem.

2.  Yes for both incoming and outgoing audio, there is extra delay in the path.  The actual amount is small and rarely a problem.

3.  As both GV and your OBi use u-Law encoding of the audio there should be no requirement for the Simonics gateway to perform any transcoding.  There should be no degradation of the audio signals.

The situation with incoming calls to you via the Simonics gateway is similar* to that of people who forward their incoming GV calls via another SIP provider eg Callcentric to their OBi.  How many times have you seen adverse comments about the effects of that?  The Simonics gateway adds a similar inverse arrangement for your outgoing calls.

(* The Simonics gateway introduces less unwanted effects than that.)

The answer you were probably hoping for is that there is no appreciable reduction in the overall user experience.

SteveInWA

In the spirit of full disclosure, there's also:

4.  There is an initial delay of 1-2 seconds after the called party answers, before they will hear your voice.  This is a byproduct of how the gateway works with the XMPP service, AFAIK, and it does not continue throughout the call.

In general, for all types of digital telephony, delays of 250ms or less aren't enough to bother people.  Delays longer than that tend to be annoying or disruptive to the brain trying to hold a conversation.

MikeGJ

@ SteveinWA - regarding your response #10 I presume it was to my #9 reply - sorry if I wasn't clear - I'd already read those and was aware that its Google certificates and EOL of the 110 that are the problem. I was just wondering why it started working again - and has been up since - if the GV servers that I usually connect to (and I'm not sure how those get chosen) had already switched to new certs and my connections were timing out consistently for a few days, why it suddenly came back online. Somehow switched back to a server still using an old cert? Just technically speaking.

I'm assuming that eventually it will go offline again at some point.

Just asking anyone if they can come up with an explanation of why it went out for a few days and then came back and is still up.

thanks

SteveInWA

Quote from: MikeGJ on November 14, 2017, 11:49:45 AM
@ SteveinWA - regarding your response #10 I presume it was to my #9 reply - sorry if I wasn't clear - I'd already read those and was aware that its Google certificates and EOL of the 110 that are the problem. I was just wondering why it started working again - and has been up since - if the GV servers that I usually connect to (and I'm not sure how those get chosen) had already switched to new certs and my connections were timing out consistently for a few days, why it suddenly came back online. Somehow switched back to a server still using an old cert? Just technically speaking.

I'm assuming that eventually it will go offline again at some point.

Just asking anyone if they can come up with an explanation of why it went out for a few days and then came back and is still up.

thanks

No idea.  But, it's not going to last.

Steve99

Yes this work for me. (OBI100)

Call ***4 on phone to get your IP address
Type IP in browser
hit system management
network settings
change dnsserver1 to 8.26.56.26
change dnsserver2 to 8.20.247.20
hit save
hit reboot

SteveInWA

Quote from: Steve99 on November 14, 2017, 04:13:01 PM
Yes this work for me. (OBI100)

Call ***4 on phone to get your IP address
Type IP in browser
hit system management
network settings
change dnsserver1 to 8.26.56.26
change dnsserver2 to 8.20.247.20
hit save
hit reboot

For chrissake.  This has been answered dozens of times already.  NO.  Changing your DNS servers is not a long-term fix.

JoeThePlumber

I have a theory that how those dead OBi100s come back to life.

Those (new) certificates are generated by Google Voice XMPP servers and they need to be registered on some CAs (certificate authorities).

When a client (OBi devices) tries to connect to a server (GV), the server will send back a certificate to the client.  The client will first check roughly if it looks OK (i.e., expiration date, etc) and then turn to the stated CA in the certificate to check further.  The CA must be in the trusted CA list the client has.  If the CA says everything is fine then the connection happen.  If any of the steps are not OK then the client will be "backing off".

So what could be wrong in the process?  Could it be true that is GV's mistake that all those new certificates were "self-signed" and not went through the CA?  Or GV regists those new certificate with a new CA that is not in the client's trusted CA list?  Or some CA has DNS issue at the time of connection?

As long as the client (OBi device) stores a list of trusted CA, it doesn't seem the error from the client, rather the error from the server (GV server) or the CA.  Once the error in the (GV) server or CA are corrected away, the client (OBi device) should connect to the server again without any software updates.

Say GV made a mistake by sending self-signed certificate to clients causing clients to "back off", OBiHai probably jumped in to change the firmware to accomodate the change by allowing self-signed certificate specifically from GV.  That only happened to OBi2xx and above, not to OBi1xx.

Read about SSL/TLS below:
https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/ssl-tls-certificates-what-you-need-to-know/

@SteveInWA  could you ask GV and OBiHai what exactly happened?

SteveInWA

Sorry, but they are not going to release any details.