News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help Request: Relocated and Cannot Connect OBI 1062

Started by Clyde, November 06, 2017, 07:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde

Been using OBI 1000 for a couple years.  Relocated today, new WIFI and cannot get phone to work after hours of effort....

FACTS:
Router wired to switch.
Computer wired to switch and has internet connection.
OBI wired to switch but shows 2 of 5 bars--weak signal.  BUT WHY?  It is hard wired.  Note this model does support wireless but it is wired to switch and I want it wired for a strong signal.
Solid AMBER light upper right.
All my previous speed dials still visible.
When I dial a speed dial I get message on phone screen:  "Call Failed: Service Not Available".
My OBI computer dashboard also says my status for SB1 is "Offline"

I am avoiding a factory reset, but if necessary I will do this--I attempted but it asked for the admin password and I have no idea what it is.  Yikes--if I need to do the reset can you help me navigate this lack of password issue please?

That's all I know--Any assistance is appreciated.  May I request as much detail as possible as I really am not familiar with how this phone works--it is like magic to me but no longer working.

Thank you in advance!    ;)

~Clyde

SteveInWA

Hi Clyde:

There's no OBi 1000, but there are 1022, 1032 and 1062 models.  The 1062 has built-in WiFi, but the other two don't, and would need a USB-attached OBiWiFi dongle to add WiFi.

If you have a 1062, then the first question is:  you mentioned the OBi dashboard.  If you log onto your OBiTALK dashboard at http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev, do you see the OBi phone listed?  If so, click it, then click the button to go to Expert Configuration, get past the warning and the redundant second button press  ::) and finally, click on  "Status" on the left side of the page.  Then, click on "System Status".  Look at the "WAN Status".  Did the phone successfully get an IP address from your router/switch's Ethernet connection?  You should see an address starting with either 192.168 or 10.0.  Pick up the phone's handset or press the speakerphone button.  Do you get a dial tone?  If so, key in ***1 to confirm that it reads out that IP address.

Is that as I described?  If not, stop and describe what you see.

If so, then go to the OBiWiFi Configuration section.  Turn off the WiFi adapter, as shown in my screenshot below.  That will get rid of the WiFi indicator on the phone. 

Which service provider are you using -- Google Voice, or a SIP service provider like Anveo, Callcentric, voip.ms, or ?

Clyde

Thanks Steve--great instructions. 

I have a 1062.  Device is listed.
System status:  "Device is not on line."
No WAN visible, but when I press the speaker button I did get dial tone and the audible message of an IP address starting with 192.168.....
I went ahead and unchecked the WIFI settings per your screenshot and submitted--the phone did not reboot.  The phone does truly seem to be offline for some reason.

Ready for next steps if you are up for it!  :)

Thank you.

SteveInWA

Hmmm...

Try this:  on the OBiTALK dashboard, click "Add device".  Follow the instructions to key in **5 on your phone, and then see if it can connect to OBiTALK, to be added back to your configuration on the portal (you can do this even if the phone is already listed).  If it fails, what is the error message?

Which service provider are you using?

Clyde

Thanks again--I had already tried this unsuccessfully. 
Red window on phone:  Add Device to OBiTALK.  Code sent to OBiTALK then eventually turns off.
Nothing on my computer--they are not communicating.
I have Frontier Internet and using Google Voice.  Could my Linksys Switch be an issue?  (But I was using this switch at my previous location, and I was also using Frontier)

Next???  :)  Thanks Steve

SteveInWA

I don't have a brilliant revelation, unfortunately.  If your OBi is getting an IP address, then it should connect.

If Google Voice is the only thing you are using on this phone, it's not a big deal to factory reset it and start over.

• Delete the phone off of the OBiTALK web portal, and wait a few minutes.
  • Pick up the handset and key in ***8 then 1 to restore the phone to factory defaults.  Wait a few minutes for it to go through its gyrations and reboot itself one or more times.
  • Go back to the OBiTALK web portal and add the phone again, using the **5 procedure.

Were you able to get at least that far?

SteveInWA

And no, I doubt that your router, switch or Frontier internet are the cause of this, as long as you have them connected like this:

Internet service--->DSL modem-->router-->switch-->computer on one Ethernet port, and OBi phone on another port.

Clyde

Steve:

The factory reset worked--I cannot thank you enough.  Nice job!!!  Now I can go to sleep.  Appreciate your amazing work.

All the best,

~Clay :)