News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Lost trying to configure OBI100 with new service provider

Started by pbd3mon, November 07, 2017, 08:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbd3mon

Hi everyone,

I had my OBI100 working perfectly with VOIP.MS for several years but now that I switched ISP it made more sense to port my phone # and switch my VOIP service to them as well (dry loop fees waved).  Because I did not purchase an ATA from the new provider they offer very limited support as far as configuration.  I added all the supplied information into the SP1 settings but I can only make calls and when I try to call my VOIP # I get a message saying "the # you're trying to reach is unavailable" and also the status says "Offline".  I am attaching the document my ISP sent me with the config info for their ATA but I'm not sure if that helps at all.  I am also attaching a screenshot of the SP1 settings perhaps there is an issue in there.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thomas Z.

drgeoff

I cannot see anything obviously incorrect. However I suggest you try using the voip.ms template instead of the generic one and from the pull-down list select a server closest to you.

drgeoff

Indeed it does.  :-[ Maybe Obihai could remove all traces of that post of mine, the same fate that befell several others I made in the last 24 hours.  :)

pbd3mon

That is correct I am no longer with Voip.ms, I'm with my new provider directnet.ca and that is why I am using the generic form.  If for some reason I cannot get my OBI100 working I will have to buy one from the SP for around $80 but hopefully not  ;).

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on November 08, 2017, 06:47:41 AM
Indeed it does.  :-[ Maybe Obihai could remove all traces of that post of mine, the same fate that befell several others I made in the last 24 hours.  :)

Geoff, you should be able to delete your post(s) by clicking the "Remove" selection on the right side of the post.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 08, 2017, 03:27:02 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on November 08, 2017, 06:47:41 AM

Geoff, you should be able to delete your post(s) by clicking the "Remove" selection on the right side of the post.
I know that I can delete my post but I cannot delete Taoman's quote of it within his post.

I was more narked about my other posts that did disappear.  It is Obihai's forum and I don't dispute their right to delete posts as they see fit even if I don't agree with whatever undisclosed criteria they have for doing so.  However I find it disappointing that they found the manpower to delete posts from the forum yet cannot find the manpower to (a) delete the spam posts I notify to them, (b) fix the broken link to 1x0 firmware and links to out of date firmwares in the downloads post and (c) have made no official response to the latest GV problem.  The only info has been conveyed by SteveInWA.  That's better than nothing but as Steve himself acknowledges, he is not an Obihai employee or representative.  Obihai may have first rate engineers but their PR people either don't exist or are third rate.

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on November 08, 2017, 04:24:05 PM

I know that I can delete my post but I cannot delete Taoman's quote of it within his post.
It's gone now.

Quote from: drgeoffHowever I find it disappointing that they found the manpower to delete posts from the forum yet cannot find the manpower to (a) delete the spam posts I notify to them, (b) fix the broken link to 1x0 firmware and links to out of date firmwares in the downloads post and (c) have made no official response to the latest GV problem.  The only info has been conveyed by SteveInWA.  That's better than nothing but as Steve himself acknowledges, he is not an Obihai employee or representative.  Obihai may have first rate engineers but their PR people either don't exist or are third rate.
+1000

azrobert

Quote from: drgeoff on November 08, 2017, 04:24:05 PM
I was more narked about my other posts that did disappear.

Welcome to the club. In the past I've had several of my posts deleted. In addition to deletions OBihai once sent me a warning via PM.

Edit:
I have to correct myself. It was a request, not a warning. Here it is:

QuoteOBiSupport
Administrator

Posts Alluding to Cracked Grandstream Devices
« Sent to: azrobert  on: October 03, 2015, 05:03:08 pm »

Please do not post about this in the OBiTALK forum.

Thank you

Rick

Wow, deleting posts now...

Years ago OBi showed that they weren't pro-consumer, they had shifted their business model (or tried) to support 3rd party sellers of solutions and small businesses.  They promised, then stopped, updating firmware posts with actual notes describing the actual firmware changes.  That's when I basically left the forum.

The device served me for 6 years, but IMO the support has been awful.  Were it not for this forum, including long ago banned Ron, I would never have setup the device for my needs properly or kept it working.  But that support has been 100% user-provided, 0% OBi-provided.  The amount of hours I've had to spent, and the sudden "crap, it's not working again" that I've gone through, had me glad I did not put an OBi into senior relatives' homes that needed reliable service. 

It's unfortunate, I suspect the success that OBi has had is dramatically less than what they forecasted in their business plans, but that's their choice.  Clearly engineer-driven, not customer-driven.

pbd3mon

drgeoff

Quote from: pbd3mon on November 09, 2017, 01:37:48 PM
Anybody else care to chime in on my issue?  :-\
Where are you seeing the "offline" message?

If you are copying and pasteing SIP details be careful that you are not highlighting and copying any spaces at either end of them.

SteveInWA

For that matter, how/where did you get the SIP credentials and server/port information for this service provider?  Did they give it to you?  It won't be the same as your account number and password.

pbd3mon

Quote from: drgeoff on November 09, 2017, 01:49:02 PM
Quote from: pbd3mon on November 09, 2017, 01:37:48 PM
Anybody else care to chime in on my issue?  :-\
Where are you seeing the "offline" message?

If you are copying and pasteing SIP details be careful that you are not highlighting and copying any spaces at either end of them.

Hi, I'm getting a red "Offline" message on the OBi Dashboard screen.  I double checked all the fields and I did not find any spaces.

pbd3mon

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 09, 2017, 01:52:14 PM
For that matter, how/where did you get the SIP credentials and server/port information for this service provider?  Did they give it to you?  It won't be the same as your account number and password.

The Service provider sent me the login credentials for their VOIP service.  As for the server/port information all they did was send me a settings file used for one of their own ATAs (attached to the OP) and I tried to pull information out of that document.  The SP will not provide support for my OBi as they said they are not familiar with it.

SteveInWA

One useful troubleshooting step would be to isolate this as either an OBi issue or an issue with your service provider, and the credentials they gave you.

You can install a free software SIP telephone app on your computer.  Counterpath X-Lite and Zoiper have apps for Mac and Windows.  Install a softphone, and configure it with the information you were given.  You should be able to make and receive calls.

Does that work?  If not, they gave you erroneous information.  If it does work, then you have an OBi problem.

I should point out that seeing the red "Offline" indication on the OBiTALK portal does not mean that the service provider is not working.  It means that your OBi device can't be reached over the Internet by the portal.  That is a more basic issue that needs to be fixed before anything can be successfully configured and pushed to the OBi.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 09, 2017, 11:19:40 PM
I should point out that seeing the red "Offline" indication on the OBiTALK portal does not mean that the service provider is not working.  It means that your OBi device can't be reached over the Internet by the portal.  That is a more basic issue that needs to be fixed before anything can be successfully configured and pushed to the OBi.
Further to that, what is the OBi's power LED doing after you apply power?  After a few seconds it should be steady green.  If flashing, the OBi does not have an IP connection to the router - bad cable or bad configuration.

If it the power LED is steady green but the dashboard shows "offline" then tell us more about your setup.  Are you at home with an ordinary home router or on a corporate network etc?

pbd3mon

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 09, 2017, 11:19:40 PM
One useful troubleshooting step would be to isolate this as either an OBi issue or an issue with your service provider, and the credentials they gave you.

You can install a free software SIP telephone app on your computer.  Counterpath X-Lite and Zoiper have apps for Mac and Windows.  Install a softphone, and configure it with the information you were given.  You should be able to make and receive calls.

Does that work?  If not, they gave you erroneous information.  If it does work, then you have an OBi problem.

Hi SteveInWA,

Once I installed and setup Counterpath X-Lite with the same credentials as my OBi I was able to make and receive calls.

SteveInWA

Great.  So, your service and your credentials to use it are OK.

As DrGeoff pointed out, we now need more information about what is wrong with your OBi... basic troubleshooting stuff.

pbd3mon

Quote from: drgeoff on November 10, 2017, 01:22:18 AM
Further to that, what is the OBi's power LED doing after you apply power?  After a few seconds it should be steady green.  If flashing, the OBi does not have an IP connection to the router - bad cable or bad configuration.

If it the power LED is steady green but the dashboard shows "offline" then tell us more about your setup.  Are you at home with an ordinary home router or on a corporate network etc?

Hi drgeoff,

The power LED turns solid after a power cycle.  I have a TP-Link ADSL2+ Modem Router model TD-8816, this is being set up at my house, no special security is set up.

SteveInWA

I'd suggest that you clean out any potentially interfering rubble from the OBi's configuration.

Log onto the OBiTALK web portal.  Delete the OBi completely off of the portal.  Wait a few minutes while the portal remotely reboots the device.  Unplug the power and Ethernet cables.  Plug in just the power cable and let it boot up.  Then, key in ***8 then 1 to reset it to factory defaults.  After it gyrates and reboots a couple of times and becomes stable, plug in the Ethernet cable, and use the **5 procedure to add it back to the portal, skip the invitation to set up Google Voice, and scroll down to the bottom of the page.  Click the "OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers" link.  On the next page, enter your SIP information, and see if it works.