News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV changing from XMPP

Started by drgeoff, April 28, 2018, 03:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

Quote from: Taoman on May 02, 2018, 11:04:34 AM

The GV app can make an outgoing call from your cell phone. It doesn't do a callback to another number.

The Google Play android app "GVoice Callback" does allow you to initiate a call from your android phone and it will "call back" to one of your linked phone numbers and then complete the call.
However, I wouldn't count on it to continue working with all the changes Google is making to Google Voice but I could be wrong.

Very helpful, thank you.
Please confirm my understanding. I'll summarize it:

1.The official GV app does NOT work the same way as the GV website to initiate outgoing calls but GVoice Callback does.

2.GVoice Callback is an unofficial 3rd party application which may stop working.

3.(Pretend you have no Obi, but you do have a GV account and phone number). If you want to place a "callback" call using a screen interface to ring a linked phone (landline/cell/DID number,etc), the ONLY way is via the GV pc web interface "voice.google.com" if you want to use official Google methods.

Correct?

mo832

Quote from: Crow550 on May 02, 2018, 10:38:44 AM

I don't understand what you mean by "old" way?

First of all, thank you for the detailed response.   :D

The "old" way was my way of describing the original Google Voice, which was just a call management system that could direct your calls to several phones. You would place an outgoing call with your GV number showing as the number of record by clicking the dialed number on the screen to setup a callback. That was a 2-step method which was made seamless by the introduction of the Obi.

Then, when the original phase-out of XMPP was to occur in 2014, many posters on here discussed ways of using the "old" or "manual" way to call out using standard SIP.

Taoman

Quote from: mo832 on May 02, 2018, 12:21:23 PM

Correct?

That is correct.............as far as I know.*

You used to be able to initiate a call back using the mobile version of the GV website on your cell phone. That capability has been removed.

*It is still possible to initiate a call (with callback) using "pygooglevoice" on asterisk. But again, after Google finishes updating Google Voice that method may no longer work.

However, neither pygooglevoice or the GVoice app use XMPP so they may continue to function. Time will tell.

Edit: Bill Simon (who has posted in this thread) just made a relevant post on DSLreports that's hard to argue with, IMHO.
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31944425-

rammjet

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 29, 2018, 06:04:50 PM
As for MWI, I don't know if it is technically feasible, but I'm going to lean on both sides to see what can be done.  Thanks for bringing it up.
Any news on MWI?  This is an important feature for my neighbor.  I previously routed her incoming calls through Callcentric, but you have to shorten the answer time to pick up before GV does.  Now I am using an asterisk derivative which provides MWI, but that might not work after June 18.

SteveInWA

Quote from: rammjet on May 07, 2018, 09:44:16 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on April 29, 2018, 06:04:50 PM
As for MWI, I don't know if it is technically feasible, but I'm going to lean on both sides to see what can be done.  Thanks for bringing it up.
Any news on MWI?  This is an important feature for my neighbor.  I previously routed her incoming calls through Callcentric, but you have to shorten the answer time to pick up before GV does.  Now I am using an asterisk derivative which provides MWI, but that might not work after June 18.

No, there hasn't been any support added for MWI.  It's dependent on Google making that feature available to OBiTALK devices.  Hopefully it'll be added at some point.

nlurker

Posted in the Google Voice support forum:

"The new Google Voice VoIP service is standards compliant and should work with many third party solutions.

Dave - Google Voice Team
"

RFC3261

Quote from: nlurker on May 11, 2018, 05:57:59 AM
Posted in the Google Voice support forum:

"The new Google Voice VoIP service is standards compliant and should work with many third party solutions.

Dave - Google Voice Team
"
And while others have already pointed to that indirect reference, unfortunately that says nothing about the details of those standards, nor what the 3rd parties must do (or, potentially, license) to implement them.  There has been much conjecture as to what "Dave" was really saying, and one can certainly try to read between the lines, and some will hope for the best, and some will fear the worst.  But in all cases, it is all just conjecture at this point until Google shares more.

NerdUno

And meanwhile Google is pushing out new Google Voice firmware that is tied to a single commercial vendor using FQDNs tied to that vendor's proprietary ATAs. Maybe "standards-based" has a new meaning I'm not aware of.

RFC3261

Quote from: NerdUno on May 11, 2018, 08:16:57 AM
And meanwhile ..

Thanks for self identifying as a FUDer.  It saves time to decide whether to add one to the plonk lists!

NerdUno

Sorry if the facts confused you. What was it you didn't understand?

vtsnaab

Hi NerdUno - good to see you here !!
Has any great help for this latest debacle been posted to your blog yet ?!?