News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Importing GV contacts to 1062

Started by jamesatwork, November 08, 2017, 01:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesatwork

Greetings,

I have 2 GV accounts on my 1062, and the Phonebook -> More -> Import key is greyed out
Do I have to first select which GV account I want to import from for this to work?

Thanks!

drgeoff

jamesatwork

Is OBiEXTRAS a requirement? If so, is there a workaround (have several units to program - is import of a .csv file still a workable option?)

Thanks

drgeoff

I could be wrong and I don't have OBiEXTRAS but when I used the import function a couple of years ago (before OBiEXTRAS existed) it meant transferring contacts from a cellphone over Bluetooth.

jamesatwork

Got it - I will keep digging. Thanks!

SteveInWA

OBiEXTRAs isn't required to import contacts to an IP phone, although it is to import contacts to an ATA.

Do it from the OBiTALK web portal, not from the phone.  It needs to go through the same OAUTH 2.0 authentication steps as it did when you added Google Voice to the phone -- when you gave it permission to use the XMPP service for GV, that's the only permission you granted.  You need to grant it permission to access your Google Contacts.

On the OBiTALK dashboard, click your 1062.  On the next page, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, and you'll see a blue button to click to start the import process.  

jamesatwork

SteveinWa  - thanks! this mostly worked.

Two minor glitches:
- entries which only have a company name but no individual point of contact - for example a hotel or airline - will not show up at all
- contacts which have different labels than the default - for example contacts with two mobile numbers - will miss some of the info (the second mobile number)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again to the community

SteveInWA

Since the import is coming directly from your Google Contacts, you'd have to manually edit the contacts in Google Contacts (via Gmail or via the Google Voice web pages), to put the desired information in the desired fields.

So, if you have a contact for company name "American Airlines", you'd need to put "American" in the first name and "Airlines" in the last name.  The same goes for deciding which number is displayed.  A hassle, but better than nothing.

jamesatwork

Steve -

The (important) company only contacts are easily fixed as you describe

Contacts which will not display all the info (such as two cell phones) is more of a disappointment

The quick-fix would be to allow renaming the default Obi tags (home / work / main etc..) to anything we want - the way most contact books do

Thanks for your continued support

SteveInWA

Quote from: jamesatwork on November 08, 2017, 05:28:39 PM
Steve -

The (important) company only contacts are easily fixed as you describe

Contacts which will not display all the info (such as two cell phones) is more of a disappointment

The quick-fix would be to allow renaming the default Obi tags (home / work / main etc..) to anything we want - the way most contact books do

Thanks for your continued support

Agreed; the existing functionality is pretty limited.  It's primarily designed for enterprise use with an enterprise directory on a Broadsoft system.  I thing the GV import was just tossed in as a "we can do this with little extra effort" thing.

As an aside, the very large majority of these phones are sold via turnkey SIP VoIP service providers, not to consumers or small businesses, so that's where the development time is focused.

Rlw-PDX

How do I erase any specific contacts. Do I first delete them from my GV contacts, upload the new set to my 1062. Or is there another trick to erase them all.