News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Submit = Reboot?

Started by bsdaiwa, March 21, 2018, 09:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsdaiwa

When I use the OBi portal and make a change to my device then select Submit, does this cause the device to reboot?
If I don't make any changes but still select Submit on one of the setup pages does the device reboot?
I am trying to make sure I can reboot a device that is located in a remote unattended location.

drgeoff

My test on a remote OBi100 indicates that a "Submit" even with no changes does cause a reboot.

I looked at the UpTime in System Status immediately before and immediately after such a "no change Submit".  The UpTime was reset between the two observations.

GPz1100

This is not the behavior of 200/202 models.  A submit writes the changes, but one has to press the reboot button which actually reboots and makes those changes effective.  There's a few areas where a reboot is not necessary.  IIRC, edits to speed dial don't require a reboot.  Might be some others.

drgeoff

Quote from: GPz1100 on March 21, 2018, 09:58:58 AM
This is not the behavior of 200/202 models.  A submit writes the changes, but one has to press the reboot button which actually reboots and makes those changes effective.  There's a few areas where a reboot is not necessary.  IIRC, edits to speed dial don't require a reboot.  Might be some others.

The OP and I are talking about "Submit" on the portal*, not the local web UI.  There is no "Reboot" button on the portal.

* The clues are in the words of the OP, "When I use the OBi portal", and my "remote OBi100".

GPz1100

Doh!  Thanks...Overlooked that part, was thinking local management ui.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: drgeoff on March 21, 2018, 09:48:48 AM
My test on a remote OBi100 indicates that a "Submit" even with no changes does cause a reboot.

I looked at the UpTime in System Status immediately before and immediately after such a "no change Submit".  The UpTime was reset between the two observations.

Drgeoff, I tried that test on one of my remote 200's and it did not work, there was no reset of the UpTime.

drgeoff

Quote from: bsdaiwa on March 21, 2018, 10:05:19 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on March 21, 2018, 09:48:48 AM

Drgeoff, I tried that test on one of my remote 200's and it did not work, there was no reset of the UpTime.
Sorry, I don't have an OBi2xx.

bsdaiwa

Correction, just tried another location and that 200 did indicate a reboot, I most likely didn't refresh correctly so I sill saw the old data, sorry. Thanks for showing me how.