News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can Obi200 & Google Voice work in Germany or Japan?

Started by TimSpencer, November 17, 2017, 04:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimSpencer

I have been using Obi100 & Google Voice for about 6 years and it has worked flawlessly. I live near Chicago.   

I will be switching to the Obi200 soon.   Since it's currently on sale for $34, I'm wondering if I should get a couple more for my father and grandparents.     

Last year, my father's comany sent him to work in the branch office in Japan. He'll be there for another year and half.   My grandparents retired and moved to Germany. 

Can I buy a couple more Obi200 devices, setup Google Voice with new numbers and ship the devices to them?  (connecting to their existing routers and cordless phones)  Will they be able to use the Obi200 devices for Google Voice calls to and from the US?

Thanks!

SteveInWA

The other OBi devices do not need Google Voice numbers.  Each OBi has a "burned-in", nine-digit OBi number, printed on the bottom.  OBi devices can call other OBi devices for free, by dialing **9 followed by the desired party's OBi number.

You can also set up a list of trusted callers that can use the auto attendant feature on your OBi, by calling its number, and then their OBi number will be recognized and sent to your auto attendant.  From there, they can make an outbound call using your Google Voice service.

LTN1

Here's a list of countries that may have problems with GV usage. Japan and Germany doesn't appear to be on that list: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12639.msg84901#new

SteveInWA

Quote from: LTN1 on November 17, 2017, 06:25:52 PM
Here's a list of countries that may have problems with GV usage. Japan and Germany doesn't appear to be on that list: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12639.msg84901#new

Thanks, but I didn't mention that, because it's a moot point.  The calls can traverse the OBiTALK network instead.  Calls bridged through the OBi's AA will simply be US phone calls placed from a US-located OBi with a US GV number.

LTN1

Understood, Steve. Was just responding to the OP's thoughts on putting GV with the OBi and using it (instead of the OBi number) in those countries.