News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI100 - Simon Telephonic Gateway - Working with 1 issue - Outgoing CallerID

Started by newalias, December 06, 2017, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newalias

Hi,  (apologize for the idiotic username, I went through the profile and can't figure out how to change it)

I was in the same boat as many regarding OBI100.

First thank you to SteveInWA and BillSimon for providing us a solution and a step-by-step guide on how to continue using our existing OBI100's with GV.

Now the issue, everything is working great except people who receive calls from me are seeing "Restricted".  They are not seeing my phone #.  Prior to this, my phone number would show up on their phones when I called them.

I read from another post (http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13165.0) that had their outgoing callerID phone number show some random # and that it resolved on it's own after a reboot.

In my case, I rebooted and I still have the same issue.  Is this something that will resolve over time or does anyone have a suggestion on what I should look at?

Thanks!

drgeoff

My understanding is that the Simonics Gateway is between your OBi device and Google Voice server whereas the Caller ID is set by Google Voice on its "outgoing" side.  Just the same as there was nothing your OBi could do, when it was directly connected to GV, to control or affect the Caller ID, placing the Simonics Gateway in the path does not change that.

Looks like there is a problem with your GV account, not your OBi nor the Simonics Gateway.

newalias

Quote from: drgeoff on December 06, 2017, 11:34:23 AM
My understanding is that the Simonics Gateway is between your OBi device and Google Voice server whereas the Caller ID is set by Google Voice on its "outgoing" side.  Just the same as there was nothing your OBi could do, when it was directly connected to GV, to control or affect the Caller ID, placing the Simonics Gateway in the path does not change that.

Looks like there is a problem with your GV account, not your OBi nor the Simonics Gateway.

I agree with you which is why I don't understand what happened.  I did nothing to my Google Voice account with the exception of allowing Simon Technologies (access) which I did by clicking a pop-up via the Simonics website directly when setting up the Google Voice Gateway after I paid my $4.99 thanks to nerdvittles linked promotion.

Now my outgoing caller ID is showing "Restricted" no matter who I call.  This is a problem as people won't pick up my call and/or my call will get blocked if family/friends are blocking "Restricted" calls.

billsimon

This happens if you sign up using a Google account that is not your Google Voice account. Any Google account can actually place outbound calls, and Google sets the caller ID as restricted/unknown.

Open a ticket to get your payment moved to the correct account.

newalias

Quote from: billsimon on December 06, 2017, 12:01:24 PM
This happens if you sign up using a Google account that is not your Google Voice account. Any Google account can actually place outbound calls, and Google sets the caller ID as restricted/unknown.

Open a ticket to get your payment moved to the correct account.

Thanks, I have a ticket open but I thought it was fixed as my outgoing calls started going through where prior I was getting "This call can not be completed".

I should have mentioned that in my original post.  Thanks again Bill!  Really appreciate your contribution for all of us laymen.

dissturbbed

I'm not playing this game, been here before not doing it again. In a few years they will pull the same game with the obi200.

bruceobi100

Quote from: dissturbbed on December 09, 2017, 06:44:04 PM
I'm not playing this game, been here before not doing it again. In a few years they will pull the same game with the obi200.

6 Bucks its not a deal-breaker.  If you have GV , think of all the money you save every MONTH let alone every year. Or get the 200.  Even at 50 or 60 bucks it pays for itself in a few months of free home service.  I have the Simon Gateway and I dont know all the technical details, but the call quality is quite an improvement.  No complaints here.