News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Changes when using Nomorobo?

Started by Taoman, December 06, 2017, 05:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taoman

Has anyone who uses Nomorobo noticed any changes in its behavior recently? I have.

1>When forking inbound calls to Nomorobo via the X_InboundCallRoute field, I now notice a significant delay after picking up an inbound call before I can hear the calling party speak. Likewise, the calling party continues to hear ringback tone well after I have already picked up the phone. The phone rings immediately as always, it is just that I can't hear the calling party for about 8 to 10 seconds. In looking at the OBi call logs, this ~8 to 10 second delay seems to correspond exactly with how long the connection to Nomorobo lasts. Once the initial delay is over the conversation continues normally. I have never had this issue before. (Note: it makes no difference which tollfree service I use and if I remove the fork to Nomorobo I no longer experience the initial delay)

2>I had set up Nomorobo for my elderly father who uses Vonage a couple years ago. Today, for the first time, when I called him I heard a message stating "This number is protected by Nomorobo....blah, blah. But it forced me to enter 2 digits "to stop telemarketers" before the call would complete. I then called him a couple times after that and I got right through without entering any digits. So I assume Nomorobo recorded and whitelisted my number.

I have never experienced this kind of behavior from Nomorobo before. I have googled this and searched the Nomorobo website for info but found nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this or heard of any changes with Nomorobo?

SteveInWA

The annoying thing about using the forked call method, is that I don't know when it stops working, until someone brings it up on the forum, or I start getting a bunch of spam calls.

I just tested my two CC DIDs on the nomorobo website, and now it doesn't work at all.  I was using Alcazar, which failed today, and then I switched to Arctele, which doesn't work either.  So, I have no idea what is going on.  If I had another call treatment destination, I'd just do it there, but I don't.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 06, 2017, 08:32:08 PM
If I had another call treatment destination, I'd just do it there, but I don't.

Curious what you mean by that statement. Callcentric is where I now use a hunt group to call Nomorobo.

I forward from GV to Callcentric. But because GV ignores early media half of Callcentric's call treatments were useless to me since they used early media including the Telemarketer Block. Well I finally started playing around with CC's IVR. Can't believe it took me so long. It is powerful and best of all......it doesn't use early media. So I have now switched all of my call treatments to using an IVR. Works amazingly well.

For instance, I made my own telemarketer block. It is my last call treatment. If a caller gets that far they are most likely a telemarketer. I give the caller 2 choices:
Press 1 to leave a (Callcentric) voicemail
Press 0 to connect
Pressing 0 goes to an IVR hunt group. First destination is Nomorobo via SIP BROKER and second destination is my extension.
This has completely eliminated all telemarketer/robodialer calls.

For my other call treatments where I want to send the callers to oblivion (like anyone from 845 area code) I send them to a different IVR. That IVR does only one thing and has a single entry under Last Route: Busy tone/Line disconnect. So they hear 3 or 4 busy tones and the line disconnects.

GPz1100

Taoman, what service is sip broker placing the forwarded call through?  Is there a charge?

Taoman

Quote from: GPz1100 on December 07, 2017, 09:03:48 AM
Taoman, what service is sip broker placing the forwarded call through?  Is there a charge?

Not sure which service SIP Broker uses but it's fast and reliable. I only give the call to Nomorobo a 5-second ring time but it works every time. If Nomorobo gets a hit it blocks the call. Since I'm using a hunt group I never get that annoying first ring.
Callcentric peers with SIP Broker so tollfree calls are free using access code of **275*.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on December 06, 2017, 09:05:36 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on December 06, 2017, 08:32:08 PM
If I had another call treatment destination, I'd just do it there, but I don't.

Curious what you mean by that statement. Callcentric is where I now use a hunt group to call Nomorobo.

I forward from GV to Callcentric. But because GV ignores early media half of Callcentric's call treatments were useless to me since they used early media including the Telemarketer Block. Well I finally started playing around with CC's IVR. Can't believe it took me so long. It is powerful and best of all......it doesn't use early media. So I have now switched all of my call treatments to using an IVR. Works amazingly well.

For instance, I made my own telemarketer block. It is my last call treatment. If a caller gets that far they are most likely a telemarketer. I give the caller 2 choices:
Press 1 to leave a (Callcentric) voicemail
Press 0 to connect
Pressing 0 goes to an IVR hunt group. First destination is Nomorobo via SIP BROKER and second destination is my extension.
This has completely eliminated all telemarketer/robodialer calls.

For my other call treatments where I want to send the callers to oblivion (like anyone from 845 area code) I send them to a different IVR. That IVR does only one thing and has a single entry under Last Route: Busy tone/Line disconnect. So they hear 3 or 4 busy tones and the line disconnects.

I tried to reply to your post yesterday, but the forum kept hanging, and my reply went into the ozone.

I meant: 

I have been using a Callcentric call treatment with simultaneous ring.  That call treatment allows a maximum of five destinations + voicemail.  Given all the OBi equipment I have, I've maxed out at 2 OBi ATAs, 2 OBi IP phones, and one non-OBi IP phone.  So, I have to use the call forking method.

I discovered that Nomorobo test calls were failing because I had TrueCNAM blocking enabled, and TrueCNAM now treats the Nomorobo test calls as "High" probability Spam, because NMR is sending fake caller IDs (1-631-555-xxxx, where xxxx = the number you are enrolling).

Once I fixed that problem, it's now working fine with Alcazar, and no, I don't have the delay you described.