News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 returns "401 Unauthorized!"

Started by TimAtHome, December 15, 2017, 10:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimAtHome

Hi all,

I haven't been able to access the web interface of my Obi110 for the past few days.

When I try to make a connection to 192.168.0.x in my browser, I'm now getting this error:

401 Unauthorized!

It used to always pop up a dialog asking for my username and password, and then once I was logged in I was able to see the settings, get the call history log, record calls, etc. I can't do that at all now.

I'm able to use a command-line tool that takes username and password as options, to access  rebootgetconfig.htm on that IP and reboot the Obi. But ... I can't get the web interface anymore. I did a lot of searching on here and google before posting this, but haven't found a solution yet. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks!

SteveInWA

There's only two explanations I can think of for that error.  1) you set a password on the OBi, forgot what it is, and you're now entering the wrong password.  It's also possible that your web browser is trying to fill in the field via a saved password function, and it's filling in the wrong password. 2) you're trying to log into the wrong IP address, and some other gizmo on your LAN is responding with that error.

Pick up the phone attached to the OBi and key in ***1 to confirm the IP address it has acquired.

If you haven't disabled OBiTALK provisioning, you should also be able to look at the device on the OBiTALK web portal, on its device page, to see the password you set, and optionally, change it.

TimAtHome

Steve,

Thanks much for the reply. I didn't know about ***1 (I love these OBIs, there's so much they can do!) ... but it confirmed that I have the right IP address and it's mapped to the right hostname.

I'm using Mozilla Nightly, which I have been using for a month or so. I wonder if some new feature was set in an update that occurred a few days ago and that's interfering with it. Because for security reasons I deny Mozilla from using password autofill, but I may have made an exception to local hosts on my network.

But if so, I wonder why it wouldn't work - I do have the right password, and haven't changed it lately. I was able to reboot it from the command line using curl with username and password flags.

Next debugging step on my end: try a different browser. I'll report back what happens. If that is the case, I'll have to figure out how to get Nightly to "forget" local logins.

TimAtHome

Update: tested with an older version of Firefox, and it works fine as normal. I'm able to log in.

With new versions of Mozilla Nightly, I still get the 401 Unauthorized.

I'm finding several instances of this happening on local intranets on the Mozilla support forum, eg:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1080038

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1007248

The problem in these cases is that the site is using some kind of old outdated authentication protocol. It could be the Obi110 does, too. But ... these solutions are all for older versions of the browser, and are support questions from 2015 or so; they all say to toggle network.negotiate-auth.allow-insecure-ntlm-v1 to true, but the new Nightly doesn't appear to have this variable.

SteveInWA

Quote from: TimAtHome on December 16, 2017, 11:26:30 AM
Update: tested with an older version of Firefox, and it works fine as normal. I'm able to log in.

With new versions of Mozilla Nightly, I still get the 401 Unauthorized.

I'm finding several instances of this happening on local intranets on the Mozilla support forum, eg:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1080038

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1007248

The problem in these cases is that the site is using some kind of old outdated authentication protocol. It could be the Obi110 does, too. But ... these solutions are all for older versions of the browser, and are support questions from 2015 or so; they all say to toggle network.negotiate-auth.allow-insecure-ntlm-v1 to true, but the new Nightly doesn't appear to have this variable.

Patient:  Doc, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor:  So, then don't to it.

There's a reason that software makers warn people:  "This is beta software, and you should expect that there are bugs."

TimAtHome

Good news - a new version of Nightly has corrected the error.

Things are working pretty great with my Obi, Simonics, and having this forum handy. :)

Merry Christmas to all of you!