News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

?? About Primary, forwarding phone.

Started by Raven, August 13, 2011, 12:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven

When I first signed up with google voice I needed a verifying phone number so I gave them my home number.  My goal is to eliminate the phone company.  But now I can't receive a phone call on my forwarding home phone without it being plugged into the phone company system. It won't let me change my home phone number, plus you can't use a google number as a forwarding number.  I'm not a stupid person, but I don't get it. Any help appreciated.

RonR

I assume you're trying to use Google Voice with an OBi.  If so, you normally don't have Google Voice forward your calls to another phone.  You normally select Google Chat as your only forwarding phone on Google Voice.  If you don't have a Google Chat phone listed on Google Voice, you must make at least one outgoing phone call from your Gmail account to create it.

With Google Chat selected as your only forwarding phone, you then configure the OBi for Google Voice on SP1/ITSPA and your off and running.

jimates

Raven,

You must have one forwarding phone listed in your google voice account. So, if you only have one phone listed, and you terminate your home phone service, you can't delete that number from the account. You can either change it (new number verification needed by google voice), or you can just uncheck it as a forwarding number and leave it in the account unused.

as RonR stated, add the google chat as a forwarding phone and use it by itself to ring the Obi.

Raven

Hi Thanx for the replies....  When I try to call the google number it goes to voice mail every time no matter what I try...  I'm still lost.   

RonR

Can you successfully reach the echo test by dialing **9 222 222 222?  No configuration of the OBi is required for this to work.  If you cannot reach the echo test, your OBi is not comminicating properly with the Internet.

If you can reach the echo test, log into the OBi at the IP address returned by dialing ***1 and confirm that your OBi is configured with the follwoing settings (all other settings can be at Default):

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> Name : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

Does Status -> System Status -> SP1 Service Status -> Status show Connected?  If so, you should be able to call your Google Voice number from a non-OBi telephone and have the OBi phone ring and be able to answer the incoming call.

Raven

RonR, jimates....   Thanx for the help...  I got everything to work finally by playing phone swaps..  Thanx again.  Raven