News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I am new, go easy on me

Started by JackieFrostie, December 28, 2017, 12:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackieFrostie

Hi,
I just learned about obitalk and obi devices.  I have two phones connected, only 1 line is provisioned with google voice #.

I tried several areas that I found in settings that had call forwarding listed, including the star codes.

All forwarding works, however, what I am trying to accomplish is that when a call that originates from the obi device and fwds to my cell, I dont want to sound dumb to my customers. I want to say ty for calling MYCOMPANY.  how can i get MYCOMPANY to be the caller id vs the callers actual number appearing?

P.S. to my credit, i did try to read up as much as I could before posting and I am new to these types of devices (lots to learn from these forums :-), that being said, ty for anyone who can assist me in advance.

Happy Early New Years!!

JF

drgeoff

The third paragraph of your post is not easy to understand especially when you use the phrase "originates from the Obi".  I assume you mean a call that a customer dials from his/her phone to your GV number and is then somehow received on your cellphone.  If that is not what you mean you can ignore the remainder of this post and post a clear explanation.

How are you forwarding the call?  Are you certain the OBi is doing that rather than the cellphone number being one of the forwarding numbers in Google Voice?

SteveInWA

All forwarding works, however, what I am trying to accomplish is that when a call that originates from the obi device and fwds to my cell, I dont want to sound dumb to my customers. I want to say ty for calling MYCOMPANY.  how can i get MYCOMPANY to be the caller id vs the callers actual number appearing?

That's not how things work.  You have an inbound Google Voice telephone number.  People call that number,  Google Voice then forwards the call to your cell phone and to your OBi.  The OBi is not involved in forwarding the calls.

If you want your cell phone to display your own Google Voice telephone number as the caller ID, vs. displaying the customer's phone number, then follow these steps:

• Using a laptop or desktop computer's web browser, not a tablet or smartphone, go here:  https://voice.google.com
  • Click the three horizontal bar menu icon in the upper left corner, scroll down, and click "Legacy Google Voice"
  • Click the gear icon in the upper right corner, to get to Google Voice settings
  • Click the Calls tab, then change "Caller ID (incoming)" to "Display my Google Voice number"
  • Done.