News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Router problems

Started by Fat_City, August 15, 2011, 02:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat_City

I'm trying use my new Obi100 connected through a Belkin Pre-N wireless router (F5D8230-4) using voip.ms. The router is connected in turn to a Comcast Thomson/RCA eMTA (DHG536C). In order to register with voip.ms, I had to configure the Obi with a static IP and put it in the DMZ. Although I could now originate and receive calls, they had constant periodic (~ once per second) audio dropouts in both directions. The echo test (222 222 222) had the same problem.

When the Obi is connected directly to the eMTA, everything works fine and there are no dropouts, so it seems the problem lies in the router. I know that SPI and SIP ALG can cause problems, but my router does not have any configuration options to disable them -- I don't know if they're even implemented. AFAIK there is no open source firmware for it, and it has the latest Belkin code.

I'm at a loss for what else to try and would welcome any suggestions. If I have to, I'll buy a new 802.11n router, but would like to know some models have worked reliably with Obi1x0 units, and aren't too expensive.

Thanks in advance!

QBZappy

Welcome,

Here is a link recommending Products for Use with OBi Devices:
http://www.obihai.com/recommended.html

Others have reported Tomato or DDWRT firmware flashed on supported routers.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Quote from: Fat_City on August 15, 2011, 02:00:57 PM
I'm at a loss for what else to try and would welcome any suggestions. If I have to, I'll buy a new 802.11n router, but would like to know some models have worked reliably with Obi1x0 units, and aren't too expensive.

I've had excellent performance from the Netgear WNR3500L with Tomato firmware installed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122334&Tpk=WNR3500L