News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBItalk-200 and Forking

Started by tim.gatton, January 14, 2018, 01:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim.gatton

getting confused ...

When I go to the Voice Service -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute

I follow the syntax of  {ph,(18005551212)}   ......   to have it call both my GV and cell number

Click "submit", then REBOOT.  After 10-20 seconds, refresh and it's there. 

Then, I go to "CallerIDname" to set it to my name, submit it, then the reboot ... but the 'fork' disappears.  I don't see the relationship ... what am I missing?

drgeoff

Quote from: tim.gatton on January 14, 2018, 01:19:08 PM
getting confused ...

When I go to the Voice Service -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute

I follow the syntax of  {ph,(18005551212)}   ......   to have it call both my GV and cell number

Click "submit", then REBOOT.  After 10-20 seconds, refresh and it's there. 

Then, I go to "CallerIDname" to set it to my name, submit it, then the reboot ... but the 'fork' disappears.  I don't see the relationship ... what am I missing?
1.  You are possibly missing a reading and understanding of http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.msg109#msg109
2.  Your OutboundCallRoute might need to specify the SP to use for the cellphone number.

tim.gatton

OK ... I accept that I'm not real smart ... and I accept that in the link:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.msg109#msg109
there could be something in there I mis-read ... but that's like saying "there's a typo in 'War and Peace', so go find it.

So let's focus ONLY on "forking".

I can see that I need to setup outbound rules, so if I look at the outbound rules, I see the very clear syntax of:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<##:>):li},{(<**70:>(Mli)):li},{(<**82:>(Mbt2)):bt2},{(<**81:>(Mbt)):bt},{(<**8:>(Mbt)):bt},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(<**4:>(Msp4)):sp4},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

I'm sure that means something to someone ... but not me ... that is so far over my head, it hurts.  Can you enlighten me on what field should hold my cell number?

drgeoff

1.  The clue is in the title of the thread. Don't configure your device using both the obitalk.com portal and the device's onboard web server.  If using the portal you use Expert mode there to get access to all the settings.

2. {ph,sp1(18005551212)}

tim.gatton

OK ... that makes sense ... so I made sure that my web interfaces were all turned off, and I logged into the IP address via my Chrome browser, but having the same issue ... I set my X_InboundCallRoute to what you suggest

{ph,sp1(18005551212)}

naturally using my real phone number ... do a Submit then Reboot, and after about 30 seconds, I see it is there for about 30 seconds, but when I re-fresh, it's back to "ph"

SteveInWA

Quote from: tim.gatton on January 14, 2018, 04:14:36 PM
OK ... that makes sense ... so I made sure that my web interfaces were all turned off, and I logged into the IP address via my Chrome browser, but having the same issue ... I set my X_InboundCallRoute to what you suggest

{ph,sp1(18005551212)}

naturally using my real phone number ... do a Submit then Reboot, and after about 30 seconds, I see it is there for about 30 seconds, but when I re-fresh, it's back to "ph"
You are not understanding what drgeoff is posting.

There are two different user interfaces that can be used to manage OBi devices:  the OBiTALK web portal ( http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev ), and the OBi devices' own, built-in web server (accessed via its IP address on your local network).

Settings made on the OBiTALK portal takes precedence over the local interface's settings.  When the device reboots, the OBiTALK settings overwrite the local settings.

Make your changes only from the OBiTALK web portal, and you won't have this problem.

tim.gatton

Told ya I wasn't that smart ... now I understand ... so I used the Expert Mode via Obitalk.com and got my setting of:

{ph,(13011234567)}

to stay ... HOWEVER, it has a red exclamation point next to it ... makes me think it see's a syntax error.

SteveInWA

The red exclamation mark simply means that the system default value was changed.  It doesn't indicate an error.

tim.gatton

OK ... thanks for all who helped and didn't comment on my IQ

;D

It was made harder on ME because I'm also replacing an older -100 model with the -200 model and I kept getting confused as they were both connected.  Once I realized I needed to use the web interface, I registered the -200 to my account and all worked fine.  Used Skype to verify the incoming call now rings both my GV and cell accounts.

Next challenge will be to MOVE my account from User1@gmail.com to User2@gmail.com ... but that's for another time.

SteveInWA

Quote from: tim.gatton on January 14, 2018, 05:43:01 PM
OK ... thanks for all who helped and didn't comment on my IQ

;D

It was made harder on ME because I'm also replacing an older -100 model with the -200 model and I kept getting confused as they were both connected.  Once I realized I needed to use the web interface, I registered the -200 to my account and all worked fine.  Used Skype to verify the incoming call now rings both my GV and cell accounts.

Next challenge will be to MOVE my account from User1@gmail.com to User2@gmail.com ... but that's for another time.

Heh heh.  When people are open to the possibility that they've misunderstood something, it's much easier and more pleasant to help them, than people who insist their version of reality has to be right.

Google Voice is a service that is attached to a Google account, just like Gmail, Docs, Calendar, etc.  You can easily move your inbound Google Voice phone number from one Gmail account to a different Gmail account, as long as the target account doesn't already have a Google Voice number.  Here are the instructions:

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#googlexfer

tim.gatton

Hi guys and gals ... I have the "forking" working and my number rings on BOTH my Obi and my cell so THANKS to you all ... could have NEVER done it without you.  But when it does ring both, when I answer on my cell, it says I have to press 1 to answer.  Is that normal?  Can I make it automatic?  When I'm driving, that is a hassle.

SteveInWA

This is not "forking" in the context of a digit map in your OBi routing calls, nor is it an OBi issue.  Google Voice is a call forwarding service.  When someone calls your inbound Google Voice phone number, Google Voice, not your OBi forwards the call to all of your check-marked, linked forwarding phone numbers, AND to the old Google Chat service.  OBi devices are Google Chat clients.

Google Voice has an optional feature, known as call screening.  When call screening is enabled, you will hear a prompt that says "call from xxx", where xxx is one of your Google contacts, or it will say "call from unknown caller" when the number is not in your contacts.  It will then say "Press 1 to accept the call, or to press 2 to send the caller to voicemail".

You can disable that feature.  Log onto your Google Voice account on a laptop/desktop computer, and go here:

https://voice.google.com/settings

However, note that this will cause a problem if you do not take additional steps:  your linked phone number(s) (e.g. your cell phone number) must support Conditional Call Forwarding (CCF).  When you enable CCF, your mobile phone network will forward all busy or unanswered calls back to your Google Voice voicemail box.

All of the "big four" US mobile phone carriers support CCF, but the commands to enable or disable it differ by carrier.  Most of their subsidiary brands or their re-sellers (MVNOs like Tracfone, Straight Talk, MintSIM, H2O) do not.