News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New firmware for Obi 200/202

Started by ProfTech, January 19, 2018, 09:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfTech

New firmware released within the last week or so. http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-1-5775EX.fw Not sure what was changed but it looks like Obihai may be sending it to any unit that is registered on the portal.

Taoman

For those wanting the generic version (without OBiEXTRAS support) you can install this version:

fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-1-5774.fw

Release date was 1-9-18.

WelshPaul

Quote from: Taoman on January 19, 2018, 10:22:56 AM
For those wanting the generic version (without OBiEXTRAS support) you can install this version:

Release date was 1-9-18.

That isn't the latest generic version, this one is: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-1-5794.fw

Release date was 1-20-18.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

GPz1100

Paul, you have a change log for either of the last 2 firmware updates?

Taoman

Quote from: WelshPaul on January 21, 2018, 04:49:22 AM
Quote from: Taoman on January 19, 2018, 10:22:56 AM

Release date was 1-9-18.

That isn't the latest generic version, this one is: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-1-5794.fw

So you're correcting me about something that wasn't even released yet when I made my post?  ::)

Taoman

Quote from: ProfTech on January 19, 2018, 09:58:27 AM
Not sure what was changed but it looks like Obihai may be sending it to any unit that is registered on the portal.

That sure appears to be what's happening. I had Auto Firmware Update disabled on two OBi200s and 3.2.1 (Build: 5775EX) got pushed and installed automatically on both of them. What's the point of even having the Auto Firmware Update field if it's just going to be ignored?

I manage OBi devices remotely for family members so I've always used the web portal but I'd love to get off it.

jentzd

What was the previous firmware?

This firmware seems to have broken my setup. Looks like auto firmware is going to be a no go for me from now on.

If disabling auto firmware doesn't work, looks like I am going to have to take my registration off the portal. too bad! was a really nice feature.

Taoman

Quote from: WelshPaul on January 21, 2018, 04:49:22 AM

Something very strange about this firmware. I've repeated this twice.

When installing this firmware on an OBi200 that is still under warranty it installs fine but it reads as 3.2.1 (Build: 5794EX) after installation.

When installing this firmware on an OBi200 that is off warranty it installs fine and reads as expected: 3.1.1 (Build: 5794). However, after installation I get the yellow triangle on my dashboard saying I have an update waiting. By tomorrow, it will have automatically updated to 3.2.1 (Build: 5775EX). Go figure.

Edit: After rebooting the 200 that is off warranty a couple times the firmware automagically changed to also be 3.2.1 (Build: 5794EX) and I no longer have the update triangle on my dashboard. Weird.

jentzd

disabling all 4 items on the system management -> auto provisioning page then rolling back to 3.2.1 (Build: 5775EX) seems to have me all fixed.

This was pretty scary for multiple reasons!!

While the technical solution was pretty easy, thanks to this thread... there was some trust w/ obihai that has been reduced. At least for me. Pushing a non tested firmware??! To everyone? Regardless of auto firmware enabled or disabled??

Anyhow thank you for posting the previous firmware, getting me fixed up was pretty easy.

ProfTech

To Taoman Indeed, I just checked my daughters 200 and it is running 5794EX as of about two hours ago. I changed the url and downloaded a copy for backup. I currently have a 100 and her 200 that I keep an eye on remotely. Of course, they haven't bothered with the 100 and we don't use GV at all but I'm still a little concerned when they dump one of these out un-announced. I'm also wondering if the changes may have something to do with the buy out and the fact there are already some attempting to hack the 200. It's too bad because the 200/202 are great boxes and Obihai is still insisting the 212 should be available soon.

IterationIsFailure

Like many of you, I noticed my OBI202 update (without permission) earlier today to 3.2.1 (Build: 5794EX) contrary to having FW Updates disabled in the UI to prevent such behavior. Clearly, OBI like other companies nowadays seems to give two sh|ts about user trust and respecting settings.

After this fisaco, I even went as far to specifically "suspend" FW updates in the local box UI, which as you'll see, does jack to prevent updates. Perhaps this is more for user pacification than it being actual functional code.

That said, I updated sideways to OBi202-3-1-1-5794.fw from EX version, logged into the OBI website and was greeted with a yellow triangle indicating there was an update for my specific serial number and LOW AND BEHOLD... after agreeing (just to see the web UI disrespects the user settings), it pushed the EX version back to the unit.

So in conclusion, the settings inside the OBI local UI mean jack $hit with respect to disabling FW updates. Apparently OBI has a backdoor that allows them to command and conquer your unit as they see fit - including pushing FW updates, which if and when brick your unit, you're SOL if out of warranty.

Time to find out the server and DNS and blacklist at router level.

Almighty1

The reason is that 3.2.1-5794EX does really exist at:
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-1-5794EX.fw

I noticed the EX versions are always 3.2.1 while the none EX versions are always 3.1.1

IterationIsFailure

Quote from: Almighty1 on January 21, 2018, 05:26:30 PM
The reason is that 3.2.1-5794EX does really exist at:
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-1-5794EX.fw

I noticed the EX versions are always 3.2.1 while the none EX versions are always 3.1.1

Interesting point. I wasn't aware there is an offset. That is good know.

So, I disabled OBiTALK in "OBiTALK Service Settings" and the unit now shows as "Offline" on the Obi website, but unsure what consequential problems I'll run into, such as the Google Voice configuration, which I recall having to do via the OBI website.

I pulled DNS calls from the OBI. It contacts fw.obihai.com, which seems to indicate that is choke point to block. Time to test,  ;D

WelshPaul

Quote from: GPz1100 on January 21, 2018, 06:44:59 AM
Paul, you have a change log for either of the last 2 firmware updates?

Nope, can't find any release notes on the server for these builds. Not sure if it's because Polycom are taking over and things are no longer a priority, or if it's due to the OBi100 series firmware patch and that OBIHAI don't want to announce that they have fixed that issue in these releases.

It could also be that OBIHAI changed their file name structure and I just haven't found it.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

ProfTech

FWIW, I haven't seen any problems with my 200 due to or during either one of these updates. I even uncovered a fix for an anomaly with TLS I wasn't aware of. But then maybe I was one of the lucky ones that hasn't been bricked.

GPz1100

Quote from: WelshPaul on January 22, 2018, 03:01:57 AM
Nope, can't find any release notes on the server for these builds. Not sure if it's because Polycom are taking over and things are no longer a priority, or if it's due to the OBi100 series firmware patch and that OBIHAI don't want to announce that they have fixed that issue in these releases.

It could also be that OBIHAI changed their file name structure and I just haven't found it.

Thanks for your comments.  My preference is to always keep any automated firmware updates disabled.  If it's not broke don't fix it.  For now everything is working fine with the 5757ex build on our 200/202 units.

I suppose if obi wasn't so stingy with the updates hacking the 1xx firmware would not be necessary.

RFC3261

Quote from: IterationIsFailure on January 21, 2018, 05:38:23 PM
such as the Google Voice configuration, which I recall having to do via the OBI website.
As I recall, because of the way that OBi obtains auth tokens to pass to the OBixxx device (one does not store Google passwords on the device, but authentication tokens) one has to use the OBi site to set things up.  But after setup, if you do not reset the device, you should not need to access the portal again.  The same setup via the portal requirement is (was?) true for some of the VoIP providers, which do not provide you with the actual passwords so you could manually enter them (I am thinking the cheap Anveo e911 service password was opaque to people; AFAIK that is still true, but it may have changed).  So, at some point, either due to a factory reset, or some significant requirements change, may need to re-add the device to the portal.

My guess is that the portal (and all it implies) is used by many.  Those, such as yourself, which are doing things a bit differently are likely going to have to remember that some future gyrations may be needed if you need to change things or accomplish more complex tasks (? add to portal, make changes, remove from portal, update something different, force specific firmware, ?)  I suspect keeping regular XML backups of the configuration may be desirable.

IterationIsFailure

Quote from: RFC3261 on January 22, 2018, 10:28:55 AM
Quote from: IterationIsFailure on January 21, 2018, 05:38:23 PM
such as the Google Voice configuration, which I recall having to do via the OBI website.
As I recall, because of the way that OBi obtains auth tokens to pass to the OBixxx device (one does not store Google passwords on the device, but authentication tokens) one has to use the OBi site to set things up.  But after setup, if you do not reset the device, you should not need to access the portal again.  The same setup via the portal requirement is (was?) true for some of the VoIP providers, which do not provide you with the actual passwords so you could manually enter them (I am thinking the cheap Anveo e911 service password was opaque to people; AFAIK that is still true, but it may have changed).  So, at some point, either due to a factory reset, or some significant requirements change, may need to re-add the device to the portal.

My guess is that the portal (and all it implies) is used by many.  Those, such as yourself, which are doing things a bit differently are likely going to have to remember that some future gyrations may be needed if you need to change things or accomplish more complex tasks (? add to portal, make changes, remove from portal, update something different, force specific firmware, ?)  I suspect keeping regular XML backups of the configuration may be desirable.

Great information. Thank you!

jentzd

Yup! Good tip on setting up google via portal then going dark.

Just for reference the one thing that the new firmware broke for me was the SIP proxy ability on a 202. Using this feature extensively to supply a whole office.

Other than this saturdays firmware induced outage, has been working nicely.

Kage

No forced update with my OBi200, I've got Auto Firmware Update and OBiTalk Provisioning disabled so maybe you need both. For now 5757ex is working good so until they post what changes have been made with their latest firmware updates I'm going to leave it as is.