News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 can not call out or receive calls

Started by LietenantDan, May 24, 2018, 09:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LietenantDan

I have been following these 2 threads but did not want to hijack them so I am creating a new one.
My Obi202 can not call out or receive calls. I have followed SteveInWA instructions on resetting the device several times with the same result (kinda the definition of insanity, but expecting different results) in this thread http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.0
And also have been reading this thread http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13991.0
drgeoff mentioned there about the Obi being defective, and to post some screenshots of the system settings. If it is defective, it is what it is, just trying to verify that it is since the warranty ended in March this year.
The echo test fails to work, it does not say anything. The status on the OBiTalk dashboard says on line.

drgeoff

There is nothing amiss with your Obitalk Service status.  What exactly happens when you dial the echo test number **9 222 222 222 ?

Can you take your OBi to somewhere that has a different internet provider and try it there?

LietenantDan

Yes, I am going to Rhode Island next week, I just wanted to get it working before so my father in law has a phone to call with. (not tech savvy at all)
When I do call the **9 222 222 222 number, it does not do anything, just open line.

LietenantDan

So, fun times, here is what I did.
I bought a new cable modem and a new router (Google WiFi) got everything set up with that, plugged in the obi, and Bam it's working after going through SteveInWA's instructions.
My old setup was a Netgear c7000 cable modem and router. Everything else is the same.

drgeoff

Hmm!  is it just a coincidence that the problem at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13991.0 was also resolved by not using a Netgear router?

I wonder if some Netgears have a problem with SIP, eg SIP-ALG incorrectly implemented.  That would not have been an issue when GV was using XMPP biut would surface immediately when GV moved to SIP.

Does your Netgear have an option to disable SIP-ALG?  If yes, please give it a try and report back.

LietenantDan

Yea, I had seen that, could have been, somehow everything get reset to the default config about the same time frame as my obi stopping working. I do not see my model listed though, I have the C7000 the ones that got hacked were the R7000, probably the same router with just the cable modem attached.

glenviewjeff

So I'm having this same problem but I already use Google Wifi. I plugged my ObiTalk directly into my cable modem and got a "connected" message on the Obitalk dashboard, so it seems to be clearly a Google Wifi firewall-related problem. I know Google Wifi doesn't have a DMZ feature or SIP ALG feature, just verified this with Google tech support.

I'm also getting a dead line (complete silence) when trying to perform the echo test. No ringback, no confirmation of any sort after dialing the echo test numbers.

Thoughts?

drgeoff

Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 26, 2018, 08:47:22 AM
So I'm having this same problem but I already use Google Wifi. I plugged my ObiTalk directly into my cable modem and got a "connected" message on the Obitalk dashboard, so it seems to be clearly a Google Wifi firewall-related problem. I know Google Wifi doesn't have a DMZ feature or SIP ALG feature, just verified this with Google tech support.

I'm also getting a dead line (complete silence) when trying to perform the echo test. No ringback, no confirmation of any sort after dialing the echo test numbers.

Thoughts?
1. Please get the terminology right.  You do not have an Obitalk.

2.  Is the echo test failing when you plug the OBi directly into your cable modem?  Or is it working in that situation but failing otherwise?

SteveInWA

Actually, the terminology is correct.  They're retiring the "OBi" name, and are now calling the products "OBiTALK" devices.

glenviewjeff

I'll call it whatever you'd like me to call it if you think you can provide useful troubleshooting advice. I didn't bother testing a call because this is the only time I've ever achieved connected status since Google/Polycom changed configurations. I'm not going to keep my device in between the internet and my router given that it would cut my internet speeds in half. If knowing whether or not a successful call could be placed from there, echo or real call, I'd like to know where you're going with this before I go moving everything around again. Thanks!

Quote from: drgeoff on May 26, 2018, 11:25:02 AM
Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 26, 2018, 08:47:22 AM

Thoughts?
1. Please get the terminology right.  You do not have an Obitalk.

2.  Is the echo test failing when you plug the OBi directly into your cable modem?  Or is it working in that situation but failing otherwise?