News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can my OBi be programmed to let the SIP server specify distinctive rings?

Started by restamp, February 03, 2018, 02:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restamp

I have an Asterisk server sitting in front of my Obi.  Asterisk takes incoming calls and redirects them to the appropriate internal extension of which up to four may terminate on the Obi (SP1 to SP4).  It's easy enough to program a distinctive ring on the OBi box based on the incoming line being rung, but I'd like to have Asterisk specify the distinctive ring for a given extension number based on the line the call came into the Asterisk server on.  Right now, I have multiple extensions assigned to each person, all of which terminate on their OBi box.  Asterisk then routes the incoming calls to one of these extensions based on the trunk it came in on, each of which has its own distinctive ring set.  But this seems wasteful of resources.  Is there a better way to accomplish this? 

azrobert

In FreePBX set Inbound Route's Alert Info to the RingName of the Ring Pattern in the OBi Ring Profile. If you want to use the OBi Ring Pattern 3, set Alert Info to Bellcore-dr3.

restamp

Slick!  I knew that if anyone in this forum could provide an answer for me it would be you, azrobert.

In the interests of providing feedback on what I learned from fiddling with this, my extension phones are defined in Asterisk using the pjsip (as opposed to sip) protocol.  Setting "Alert Info" appears to work as advertised with pjsip on FreePBX 13 (Asterisk 13), and I presume the later FreePBXes as well.  In fact, it even works when the Inbound Route is pointing to a Ring Group.  But it does not work on FreePBX 12.  (Guess it pays to stay current.)

Thanks again.