News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice and OBI - Receiving 2nd call

Started by BillyS, February 06, 2018, 06:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyS

Earlier, I placed a call through with my OBi200 (set up with Google Voice).  While on that call I received a second call to my Google Voice # and it rang my iPhone (also set up with Google Voice) but it did not ring to my OBi200.  Does that mean there is nothing like a call waiting feature when I place a call through Google Voice on my OBI200?

OzarkEdge

>>Does that mean there is nothing like a call waiting feature when I place a call through Google Voice on my OBI200?

An OBi ata supports call waiting:
Physical Interfaces - PHONEn Port - Calling Features::CallWaitingEnable = checked (default and required on an OBi202 to enable internal barging into the second OBi202 phone port/line/call.)

I understand that GV only 'supports' call waiting when the inbound call to GV is routed to a DID/carrier that supports carrier call waiting, and that carrier call is routed to a device that supports call waiting, such as your OBi ata.

So, maybe an inbound call to GV that routes though Google Chat via XMPP to your OBi ata will not support call waiting... another GV 'free' limitation.  I wonder if GV-OBi call waiting works through Simon Telephonics' Google Voice SIP Gateway https://simonics.com/services/.  Maybe not... Simon does not list it as a feature.

OE

GPz1100

Google voice supports call waiting, but it's a function of the client used.

Examples.

a) Open hangouts in a supported browser window
a1) Call the gv associated with #a from one phone (landline, cell, doesn't matter) and answer in hangouts
a2) Call the gv associated with #a from another phone
a3) Result: hangouts will complain you're already in a call and demand call 1 is finished first before you're allowed to answer call 2

b) Configure google voice in a pbx as a trunk (ie freepbx)
b1) repeat same test above
b2) Switching between calls is permitted

c) Same test but with gv configured in an obi itsp slot
c1) repeat same test above
c2) Switching between calls is permitted

Conclusion:  Call waiting works when not using gv in hangouts. This applies to the hangouts app (android).