News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Hangup issues

Started by GPz1100, February 12, 2018, 08:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPz1100

We have a member in the household who is forgetful about pressing the off/hangup button on the cordless receiver after ending a call. When the remote party hangs up first, an audible dial tone is heard but the phone is still 'off hook'.

Changing this person's behavior to properly hang up isn't working :)

I looked through the phone port options but didn't see anything to address this...

Thoughts?

Thinking about this further, I think the problem is the cordless phones in use (vtech cordless phones from the last 3 or 4 years).  Even if the ata goes onhook, i'm not sure the cordless phone base station will do the same.  Which leads to the same problem; next incoming call won't 'ring' the phone.

Further research suggests something called Howler tones.  I don't see this in the settings... There's something called howling tones under tone settings, but not howler tones.

drgeoff

Same thing.  Hover your mouse over the question mark in the onboard GUI and the pop-up says "Howling Tone for off-hook warning".

GPz1100

That setting is enabled but doesn't seem to be doing anything.

What happens when you leave your phone off the hook for an extended time (1-10 minutes)?

SteveInWA

My OBi-attached phones play the howling tone 20 seconds into being off-hook with no call.  It isn't as loud as the POTS version, probably because the SLIC module can't generate enough power to howl any louder.  So, I don't think you can fix a behavioral problem with technology.  I will note, that the Panasonic and Uniden cordless phones I've used all hang up when the phone is placed in the charger base.  I don't know about Vtech.

GPz1100

Atrophy of the mind is a terrible thing.........

I'm going to try reaching out to vtech to see if they can offer any other suggestions. There's a hidden service menu (menu, *7890#) that brings up some other settings in the vtech device which are not documented but can be altered.  The base station has a built in answering capability so it must be able to detect a hangup condition.  Whether it's intelligent enough to hang up connected handsets is another matter.

The handsets do hang up when placed back in the charger but this doesn't happen until night time.  I'd love a voip/sip cordless phone set up but pricing is prohibitive at this time.