News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Adding an OBi1062 to an OBi200 installation

Started by tvBilly, February 18, 2018, 12:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvBilly

I've been using an OBi200 with an analog phone and an answering machine for many years. I have three SIP lines (two CC and one CWU) and a GV line, all working well. The phone and answering machine (really one of my computers) are connected in parallel with an RJ11 splitter on the analog output of the OBi200. The computer answers the phone if I haven't after 5 rings, and does really wonderful things like greet people by name and sending me an SMS if a message is left, etc.

The analog phone is on it's last legs, and Amazon is selling the OBi phones at pretty amazing prices (OBi1022=$110, OBi1032=$130, OBi1062=$130, all including a power supply, and no, I don't know why the 1032 and 1062 are the same price), so I ordered a 1062 that's coming on Tuesday to "replace" the analog phone.  ;D

I plan to leave the existing OBi200 connected to the computer answering machine (disconnecting the analog phone). All the OBi200 has to do is "ring" at the same time the OBi1062 is ringing, and if I don't answer the call the computer will answer it after five rings (or two if there's an un-played waiting message).

I know there's no magic way to auto configure the OBi1062 using all my settings for the OBi200. I manage the OBi200 on-line (not via the local web interface), and I plan on doing the same for the OBi1062.

I want to ask if this is the best way for me to add the OBi1062:

Log in on line and add the OBi1062 and then use the wizard to add all the SIP/GV providers, then copy and paste all the digit maps and call routes and ring patterns and everything else like that (using two windows, one with the OBi200 expert config and the other with the OBi1062).

Are there "gotchas" I'm missing here, like stuff that would be appropriate for a 200 with analog phone that won't be appropriate for an OBi1062 replacing them. Stuff I'm not taking into consideration when having two SIP devices on the LAN.  Any and all advice would be appreciated (including any great usage tricks to having a SIP phone; no more **2 to dial out on the business line). I've downloaded the User and Admin manuals for the OBi1062 but I always got better help here.  ;)

Thanks!

dudly

Hi tvBilly

I just added an Obi1062 to my Obi202 that has one google voice line and two DID's from Callcentric.

I am a rank beginner at this stuff, but after asking a number of questions from Callcentric I have the 1062 and the 202 working seamlessly together with all lines on the 202 and the 1062 ringing normally.

I have a very simple setup.  I added the Obi1062 by adding a new device in my Obitalk webpage.  You will now have two devices listed, your Obi200 and your Obi1062.  I then selected the OBI1062 and added the Google Voice number to my SP3 slot as you would have added it to your 200, no difference.  I added the 2 Callcentric numbers to SP1 and SP2 again using the Obitalk webpage and the Callcentric automatic setup wizard.  So far easy.

Where I initially messed up was just using the same two extensions from Callcentric on my 202 and put them on my 1062.  Wrong!  You can't have both devices the 200 and the 1062 using the same extensions.  In my situation, I had to make 2 additional callcentric extensions.  Now I still use the initial extensions with my 202 and I use the 2 new extensions with my 1062.  I have 4 extensions in Callcentric.  17771234567 and  17771234567101  are registered with the Obi202 and the 2 new extensions  17771234567120 and 17771234567121 are registered with the Obi1062.  The Google Voice number just works itself out and rings normally on both devices.

To get the phones to ring normally you will have to setup your Call treatments.  You can have them all ring simultaneously or hunt or however you want.  I initially set them up to all ring simultaneously but then on my Obi1062, Line 1 and Line 2 would both blink red when I got a call.  I just made 2 Call Treatments, one to ring both the (100) and 101 extensions on my first number, and 120 and 121 extensions to ring on my second number.  You may need to play around with which number is sent to which extension.  It took me a few tries but it works fine now.  I did not copy and past any digimaps, that would be far out of my wheel house of knowledge.

Good luck, and I am sure there are many more knowledgeable people that can help you more than this simple tutorial.

tvBilly

Quote from: dudly on February 18, 2018, 01:04:08 PMWhere I initially messed up was just using the same two extensions from Callcentric on my 202 and put them on my 1062.  Wrong!  You can't have both devices the 200 and the 1062 using the same extensions.  In my situation, I had to make 2 additional callcentric extensions.  Now I still use the initial extensions with my 202 and I use the 2 new extensions with my 1062.  I have 4 extensions in Callcentric.  1777XXXXXXX (100) and  1777XXXXXXX101  are registered with the Obi202 and the 2 new extensions  1777XXXXXXX120  and 1777XXXXXXX121 are registered with the Obi1062.  The Google Voice number just works itself out and rings normally on both devices.

To get the phones to ring normally you will have to setup your Call treatments.  You can have them all ring simultaneously or hunt or however you want.  I initially set them up to all ring simultaneously but then on my Obi1062, Line 1 and Line 2 would both blink red when I got a call.  I just made 2 Call Treatments, one to ring both the (100) and 101 extensions on my first number, and 120 and 121 extensions to ring on my second number.  You may need to play around with which number is sent to which extension.

Thanks for the info, though I must admit I'm a bit confused. I have two extensions for my two Callcentric numbers, but that's not because I have multiple devices, it's because I have multiple numbers. Plus my CallWithUs account (where I have another number) doesn't support multiple extensions the way Callcentric does, and you mention that the Google Voice number just worked out without any changes. What happened with your Callcentric numbers before you added two more extensions?

And does this mean that if I put, say, four OBi1062s on my LAN that I'd have to create multiple Callcentric extensions for each phone? (Like 8 Callcentric extensions for my two CC lines going to 4 phones)?

Maybe someone who knows a lot more than either of us will chime in and explain some more...

Billy

dudly

When I initially registered the same extensions from the Obi202 to the Obi1062, only the 1062 would ring.  Again I have a very simply setup.  Callcentric told me the extra extensions are not for the extra numbers but for the extra UA, or the Obi1062.  At least for Callcentric, you cannot register the same extension or extensions to two separate Obi's.  For Google voice I just set up the Obi1062 exactly like the Obi202 and both the Obi1062 rings an the phones connected to the Obi202 ring.  i am not familiar with CallWithUs, but if you have 4 Obi1062's you will need to register each of them with it's own extension or extensions that you create with Callcentric.

SteveInWA

Described as simply as possible:  when you use most SIP VoIP service providers (ITSPs), there are two main halves to the connection:  the provider's SIP server, and one or more "user agents" (UA) that can connect to that server.  The UAs authenticate (sign into) the SIP server using a SIP username and SIP password.  A UA can be a OBi or other brand Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) or IP phone, or a software phone, such as X-Lite, Bria, Zoiper, etc.  Each UA needs its own, individual login, so they can work independently.

Callcentric (and some other ITSPs) use the concept of "extensions" for this purpose.  Each extension is a separate set of SIP credentials (username and password).  They can all have the same password or each can have its own password.  With Callcentric, you are assigned a main userid (the 1777xxxxxxx) number, and then you can assign multiple extensions by adding a three digit extension number as a suffix.

For example:

Extension #1 is 17779999999.  Optionally, you can use 17779999999100.
Extension #2 is 17779999999101, and so on.

So:  for each Callcentric number you are using, assign as many extensions as you have OBi devices.  Use a separate extension for each number on each OBi ATA or IP phone.

Again, an example.

You have a OBi 200 and a OBi 1062..  You have one Callcentric account, 17772771234.  You want to use both devices with that one number.  Create two extensions (100 and 101).  Configure OBi 200 SP1 to sign into 17772771234 and configure OBi 1062 SP1 to sign into 17772771234101.

You must set this up on your Callcentric dashboard, in the Extensions section.  You can then also program how calls to your CC number are handled.  For example, ring both OBis at the same time, or ring one first then the other, and then go to CC VM or a busy signal, etc.  This is done in Callcentric's Call Treatments section.

tvBilly

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 19, 2018, 07:57:03 PM
Described as simply as possible:  [snip]  Each UA needs its own, individual login, so they can work independently.

Thanks Steve, I also just read a thread from a year and a half ago where you (essentially) explained the same thing. Sorry I didn't read it in time for you to not have to type this all in again. I pretty much get it now, and know how to configure the 1062 when it arrives, as well as what to do with CallCentric. I had time to check that I could also do about the same thing with my one CallWithUs number (I have two from CC, one from CWU, and one from Google).

That all said, I did notice something in the thread you helped in that might prove to be slightly more appropriate for my needs, assuming I am understanding correctly.

Keep in mind that all I want the Obi200 to do (after I get the Obi1062 working) is to "ring" in tandem with any incoming call from any of my four SIP numbers, and if I don't answer the incoming call with the OBi1062, then my computer (hooked up to the analog RJ11 output of the OBi200) will answer the call and do its thing (as it has been doing all along). Just a very fancy Answering Machine. It doesn't need to know which line the call is coming from, or much of anything at all about the call (other than its callerID, which would be nice). I don't ever plan on hooking a phone up to the OBi200 anymore, nor will I have any need to make outbound calls with it.

In the thread mentioned above, @azrobert noted that another (not as suitable) option would be "The OBi can also solve your problem. Just send inbound calls to the other device using the OBiTalk network." He was answering a question from someone with a different need from me, but I was thinking that maybe in my case this might be more appropriate.

What would happen if I setup the OBi1062 to be the only connection to my SIP providers and wiped out the OBi200's connections to my SIP providers. Then I changed the X_InboundCallRoute for each of the 1062s SPx Services to ph,pp(myOBi200number).

Would that scheme work? Could the OBi200 take the call that the OBi1062 didn't answer even though none of the SIP providers know of the OBi200? Does this make any sense?

Thanks very much, you may not remember, but many years ago you and a few others here taught me how to understand and setup the OBi200, including special stuff like getting 311 and 511 to work. It has served me very well for many years, thanks to you and everyone else who helps here. (@dudly, your pointers helped me find the thread that explained it all, so thank you too for answering and offering help).

;D

SteveInWA

Why don't you just follow my instructions?  It works.  There is no need to take another approach.

tvBilly

I did follow your instructions. Though UPS hasn't shown up yet with the OBi1062 yet, I have already added two additional extensions to my CallCentric account, and setup the call treatments there, as well as adding another username to CallWithUs. So everything should be ready when the phone gets here and I provision it on the OBi web site. Not sure what the story with my Google Voice number will be, but will get to it after the other numbers are working to both devices.

I understand why your recommendation is the better way to go in terms of flexibility and power, but I was curious if the other way would work. It just seemed somewhat overkill to leave the OBi200 connected to my ITSPs and I saw no down side (if it would work via the OBi1062 sending to ph,pp(myOBi200number)).

Billy

SteveInWA

Quote from: tvBilly on February 20, 2018, 04:29:43 PM
I did follow your instructions. Though UPS hasn't shown up yet with the OBi1062 yet, I have already added two additional extensions to my CallCentric account, and setup the call treatments there, as well as adding another username to CallWithUs. So everything should be ready when the phone gets here and I provision it on the OBi web site. Not sure what the story with my Google Voice number will be, but will get to it after the other numbers are working to both devices.

I understand why your recommendation is the better way to go in terms of flexibility and power, but I was curious if the other way would work. It just seemed somewhat overkill to leave the OBi200 connected to my ITSPs and I saw no down side (if it would work via the OBi1062 sending to ph,pp(myOBi200number)).

Billy

There is no downside.  There is no reason to be concerned about having more than one user agent registered on each ITSP account.  It's a basic feature of SIP VoIP telephony.  I have, at the moment, two OBi IP phones and two OBi ATAs, all registered on the same Google Voice and Callcentric accounts.  It simply works.

tvBilly

Just wanted to follow up that everything is working as expected, following the configuration advice of SteveInWA (and dudly). I still have to move over some of my DigitMaps and OutboundCallRoutes and RingPatterns, and I haven't yet customized a bunch of stuff on the phone, but the important parts are working.

;D