News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Confused by step in porting number into Google Voice on Obi202

Started by glnz6, March 05, 2018, 03:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glnz6

Need your clarification of something before I make a mistake:

I have a new Obi202 and a new Google Voice number (area code 917), and the plastic phone I connected to the Obi202 calls out and receives calls on the new Google Voice number.  I also have ObiTalk on my PC browser that shows the Obi202.

Now, I want to port a Verizon land line number (area code 212) into the Google Voice account so that the 212 number becomes the Google Voice number and the Obi202 and plastic phone will use that 212 number forever when calling out or receiving calls.  (If anyone calls the 212 number, the plastic phone on the Obi202 will ring.  If I call out on that plastic phone, it will show my 212 number as its outgoing caller ID.)

I have already successfully ported the 212 number from my old copper land line into a Verizon prepaid mobile flip phone (Samsung).  Right now, calls from the Samsung show the 212 number, and calls to the 212 number ring the Samsung, and the calls are good.  Same with text into and out of the Samsung.  So far so good.

Here's my confusion:  I want to start the porting of that 212 number into the Google Voice and therefore the Obi202.  But a tech article says I need a "new phone number, to which you'll forward your Google Voice calls and texts."  And an Obi FAQ page says, "You will need sign up for a new VoIP service account and use it as a forwarded number in your Google Voice settings."

What do those statements mean?  I just want the ported 212 number to be my Google Voice number that the Obi connects to.  Why do I need to forward it to something else?  I just want the Google Voice and Obi202 and plastic phone to work with the 212 number instead of the 917 number.

FYI - I have attached a jpg of the "Phones" tab of my Google Voice settings.  I am already forwarding calls to Google Chat on my GMail account.  And thanks to SteveInWa, I understand that the Forwarding to Google Chat is what makes the Obi202 connect to the Google Voice number.  Isn't that enough?

Also FYI - when I finish the porting and have the 212 number in my Google Voice and Obi202, I don't care about keeping the 917 number.  Unless there's a technical reason why I need it to fix problems in the future.

Sorry for dumb question, and thanks for your replies.

drgeoff

glnz6

Drgeoff - maybe.  Your link leads to:
8.  To get calls, set up phones to receive calls.

And that leads to:
Add a number where you want to get calls
You can set up any phone number to take your Google Voice calls and texts.
On your computer, open Google Voice.
At the top left, click Menu Menu and then Settings.
Under "Linked numbers," click New linked number. You can link up to six numbers.
Follow the onscreen instructions to add your number.

But must I do that?  Isn't my existing "Forwards calls to Google chat" enough?

drgeoff

I don't know why you seem to have so much trouble with simple things.

The page I pointed you to contains the following:
----------------
Option 1: Use your current phone number in Google Voice
You'll be charged a $20 fee to move your number to Google Voice from most cell phone service companies, like Verizon or AT&T. But, moving a number to Google Voice after canceling Project Fi is free.

Corporate, landline, Internet-based (VoIP), and some other numbers can't be transferred.

Don't cancel your phone plan before you start the transfer. To verify the transfer, we'll call your phone with a code. After the port is finished, you can cancel your phone plan.

1. On your computer, open Google Voice.
2. If you haven't used Google Voice on your account before, set up a new Google Voice account. You'll be prompted to pick a new number, but your transferred number will replace it.
3. At the top left, click Menu Menu and then Legacy Google Voice. Google Voice will look different, but you're in the right place.
4. At the top right, click Settings Settings and then Settings.
5. Click the "Phones" tab.
6. Next to your current number, click Change / Port.
7. Select I want to use my mobile number. Follow the onscreen instructions to set up your new number and pay.
-----------------

Step 2 is not applicable to you as you already have an account and a GV number. You merely wish to change that number to the one you are porting in.

After step 5 above you should see your version of the attached screenshot.

After you have paid the $20 fee your GV number will be the one you ported in.

Your GV number is a different thing from the forwarding number(s).

glnz6