News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi softphone

Started by Machello, March 12, 2018, 01:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Machello

I've recently setup an OBi200 with a few GV accounts/numbers.

I would like to try the obi Softphone, as described in this article:

https://www.obitalk.com/ozone/call-OBi

In the OBi dashboard the obi softphone status is greyed out.

If I click on the configuration gear icon. I am taken to a page that shows me my obi softphone OBi Number, the Device Display Name and the OBi Voice Gateway dropdown.   

At the very top of this page, there is a message that says:

The OBi100 and OBi110 has reached it's end of life (EOL) status and are no longer supported.
Please upgrade to a more recent OBi device to receive support.

Recommended devices to upgrade to:
OBi200
OBi202

I am not able to change the Device Display Name or Gateway dropdown.  If I click on any of those areas, I am redirected to an Amazon page for the OBi202 product. 

It seems like there is a setting somewhere that makes the softphone think I have an older OBi device when I actually have a brand new OBi200.   

Anyone know what I should do?

azrobert

You are confusing the Call Button with the OBiON app, those are 2 separate features. Have you tried the Call Button and what happens?

Machello

I am simply trying the procedure outlined here:

I don't have the OBiON app installed.  The OBiON app is not mentioned in the post above, unless I missed something, so I am not sure why you think I am confusing the two.

When I click the Green Call OBi Button, I get a small dialog, just like the one described in the call-OBi post. When I type in a number to call and then cilck the  blue Call button, the word "Starting Call" appears in green in the dialog and the blue "Call" button changes to "End Call".  Nothing else happens. 

And, as mentioned in the first post, the Status light in the OBi Dashboard is grey.

drgeoff

1.  You are confusing the 'Call OBi' thing and the softphone number.  The softphone number is to be put in the Android or iOS Obion app or in the PC helper app along with a 3rd party SIP softphone application.  The app does not run on later versions of Android.  I believe the iOS app is no longer in Apple's app store.  The PC helper is no longer listed for download. The 'Call Obi' button lets you call from a PC with a suitable browser to OBi devices other than OBi100 and OBi110.

2.  Here is a trick for that problem page that jumps off to Amazon.  To select the Gateway click the drop down arrow area with your left mouse button and keep the button pressed down.  Use the up and down arrows on your keyboard to highlight the OBi number you want.  Then press the Return key of the keyboard.  The Amazon page will appear but if you click Back on the browser you will return to the Dashboard page and find that your selection has been implemented.  Same for the name. Click in the name field and keep the mouse button pressed.  Type/edit the name and press the Return key. Release the mouse button. Go back from the Amazon page.

drgeoff

Quote from: Machello on March 12, 2018, 02:06:58 PM
I am simply trying the procedure outlined here:

I don't have the OBiON app installed.  The OBiON app is not mentioned in the post above, unless I missed something, so I am not sure why you think I am confusing the two.

When I click the Green Call OBi Button, I get a small dialog, just like the one described in the call-OBi post. When I type in a number to call and then click the  blue Call button, the word "Starting Call" appears in green in the dialog and the blue "Call" button changes to "End Call".  Nothing else happens.

Try putting the 9 digit number of your hardware OBi device in the dialogue box of the 'Call OBi' button.  OBi100 and OBi110 are not supported.

And, as mentioned in the first post, the Status light in the OBi Dashboard is grey.
The OBiON app is NOT used by the 'Call OBi' button.

Unless you have an OBiON app running and 'registered' on the portal, the softphone number is meaningless and not useful.

Try putting the 9 digit number on the bottom of your OBi200 in the dialogue box of the 'Call OBi' button.

Machello

okay.  I see where I might have confused the "Call OBi" thing and the softphone number.  So I guess i have two separate problems.  I am not going to worry about problem number 2 anymore.

1)  The "Call OBi" thing does not work as posted here: https://www.obitalk.com/ozone/call-OBi 

2)  The softphone status has never shown as being "green" in the dashboard, and perhaps it is because I must put the number into an app.  That sounds like a dead end since none of the OBiON apps are available anymore.  I will guess hide it from now on and not worry about it.  But it sure seems like it thinks it is trying to use an OBi100 or OBi110 as the gateway.  Otherwise, I don't know why I would be presented with the red letter warning and the silly Amazon link across an entire <div> in the configuration page that tries to get me to buy an OBi202.

Machello

Quote from: drgeoff on March 12, 2018, 02:19:50 PM
Try putting the 9 digit number on the bottom of your OBi200 in the dialogue box of the 'Call OBi' button.

Nothing happens.

azrobert

I just tried the Call Button and it doesn't work for me either. I know you're not trying to use the OBiOn app, but OBiHai hasn't updated it for years and doesn't seem to support it. The same probably applies to the Call Button. If your computer is on the same local network as your OBi200 and you have a free SP trunk, IMHO you would have more success with an SIP softphone. I use Phonerlite for Windows.

Machello

Quote from: azrobert on March 12, 2018, 02:42:52 PM
If your computer is on the same local network as your OBi200 and you have a free SP trunk, IMHO you would have more success with an SIP softphone. I use Phonerlite for Windows.

I've been trying this from my work computer, which is not on the same subnet as my Obi200.  I forget that sometimes  as I do work from home, but have a few different subnets setup on my managed switch.   :-[

I got on a laptop on the same subnet as the Obi200 and it worked as advertised. doink.   

At least asking the question eventually helped me to understand the difference between the softphone and the "Call OBi" button, which I originally though was a softphone that worked in the browser which I thought was the softphone referred to in the OBi Dashboard. 

azrobert

I think it should work from a different subnet. I did get mine to work, but it's flakey. It seems to work only once. If I hang up and call again it fails. It works again when I sign out and back into OBiTalk with a new window. Sometimes I only have one-way audio. POS!

The call button is related to the OBiON app. If you look at the call history, the caller name is OBiON and the callerid is the OBi number of the OBiON app. I assume the call is routed to the OBiON gateway unless you specify another device.

drgeoff

Quote from: azrobert on March 12, 2018, 03:27:17 PM
I think it should work from a different subnet. I did get mine to work, but it's flakey. It seems to work only once. If I hang up and call again it fails. It works again when I sign out and back into OBiTalk with a new window. Sometimes I only have one-way audio. POS!

The call button is related to the OBiON app. If you look at the call history, the caller name is OBiON and the callerid is the OBi number of the OBiON app. I assume the call is routed to the OBiON gateway unless you specify another device.

I was under the impression that the Gateway was only used when dialling PSTN numbers and not when calling OBi 9 digit numbers.

azrobert

Quote from: drgeoff on March 12, 2018, 03:53:59 PM
I was under the impression that the Gateway was only used when dialling PSTN numbers and not when calling OBi 9 digit numbers.
You are correct. I was talking about PSTN numbers and should have been clearer.

For anybody who cares, here are the call formats. The OBi inbound call route must have rules for routing PSTN numbers. I didn't get the speed dials to work.

5*                                      (call an OBi via speed dial)
510123456                      (Call an OBi number)
18005551212                  (Send a PSTN number to the gateway OBi)
510123456*18005551212  (Send a PSTN number to an OBi number)
5*18005551212              (Send a PSTN number via speed dial)

dbabits

I have the same problem: Call OBI button in the browser does not work, it starts dialing, and immediately shows Call Ended.

I tried to follow the conversation here, but only got more confused. Could someone summarize what is to be done?
I'm trying to follow instructions at https://www.obitalk.com/ozone/call-OBi

Thanks.

drgeoff

Quote from: dbabits on May 23, 2020, 06:50:14 PM
I have the same problem: Call OBI button in the browser does not work, it starts dialing, and immediately shows Call Ended.

I tried to follow the conversation here, but only got more confused. Could someone summarize what is to be done?
I'm trying to follow instructions at https://www.obitalk.com/ozone/call-OBi

Thanks.

There are many times when the "Call OBi" function does not work.  We are currently in one of those times.  Don't hold your breath waiting for that to change.

azrobert

There is another way you can call from a computer.

Get a free IP Freedom account from Callcentric.
Define an extension for each OBi you want to call.
Register each OBi to a different extension.
Install a free SIP softphone on your computer (I use Phonerlite and Zoiper)
Register the softphone to another extension.
Dial the extension number you want to call.

Star255

I just tried the Call Button and it doesn't work for me either. I know you're not trying to use the OBiOn app, but OBiHai hasn't updated it for years and doesn't seem to support it. The same probably applies to the Call Button. If your computer is on the same local network as your OBi200 and you have a free SP trunk, IMHO you would have more success with an SIP softphone. I use Phonerlite for Windows.

Star255

I've been trying this from my work computer, which is not on the same subnet as my Obi200.  I forget that sometimes  as I do work from home, but have a few different subnets setup on my managed switch

dennis5pia

Quote from: drgeoff on March 12, 2018, 02:15:20 PM
1.  You are confusing the 'Call OBi' thing and the softphone number.  The softphone number is to be put in the Android or iOS Obion app or in the PC helper app along with a 3rd party SIP softphone application.  The app does not run on later versions of Android.  I believe the iOS app is no longer in Apple's app store.  The PC helper is no longer listed for download. The 'Call Obi' button lets you call from a PC with a suitable browser to OBi devices other than OBi100 and OBi110.

Hi,

How can I use my softphone number with a 3rd party SIP softphone APP?

I was able to install the APP to a Galaxy S5 mini running Android 5.1.1, But that's not my main phone

Regards

drgeoff

Quote from: dennis5pia on July 20, 2020, 10:49:29 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on March 12, 2018, 02:15:20 PM

Hi,

How can I use my softphone number with a 3rd party SIP softphone APP?

I was able to install the APP to a Galaxy S5 mini running Android 5.1.1, But that's not my main phone

Regards
It is possible but may not be worth the trouble.

You need ObionPC which acts as a bridge between ordinary SIP and whatever Obihai use on the Obitalk network. That bridge is only available for Windows OS. Although the documentation is written on the basis that ObionPC and a 3rd party SIP softphone PC app are running on the same PC that is not a requirement. I have experimentally had my Linux based FreePBX connected to ObionPC on a separate Windows PC to provide an Obitalk trunk on the PBX.

The issues you face are in connecting your phone to ObionPC. Unless the phone is Wi-Fi connected to the same network as the PC you are into things like dynamic DNS, router port forwarding and usage of data from your cellular plan.