News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Grasshopper Voice Forwarding Broken as of 03/16/18

Started by tpayne03, March 19, 2018, 02:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpayne03

Hi,

I've been using two Obi200 series VOIP adapters with Google Voice for several years.  The adapters receive calls from GrassHopper through Google Voice.  This has been working great for a few years.

On Friday, March 16, 2018 approximately 3 PM CST, we noticed that the calls were not being forwarded correctly.  We thought it might be a Grasshopper system issue.

Today on 03/19/18, we are still having this problem.  We debugged this with Grasshopper, and their system is forwarding calls correctly to cell phones and copper lines.  The Obis can make and receive calls to cell phones and copper lines.

But here is the kicker: when Google Voice forwards a call from Grasshopper, it calls my cellphone and it calls the Obi box.  If I pick up the phone with the Obi box, the forward call can't be picked up.  If I pick up the phone with my cell phone, the call comes through. So that means from Grasshopper to Google Voice there is not a problem.  The problem appears to be the Obi box & Google Voice in some very odd way.

This problem is happening on both Obi boxes (which are working normally, but except for this use case), so I think it may be a software change on the Obi boxes which are causing this problem with Google Voice & Grasshopper.

Was there a firmware update or change around this time period? 

How could I load an older version of the firmware to test this?

drgeoff

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13680.msg87819#msg87819

There is probably nothing amiss with your OBis.  Remember the message that occasionally appeared on TV screens:

"Please do not adjust your set.  Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible."

tpayne03

Yeah it's a weird issue. How creepy, I also noticed this on 03/16...

I do embedded system programming in C (like low level Assembly and stuff). 

The breakage does seem like Google Voice to Obi somehow...  Sorry, I'm a long time user, not active forum guy!

Honestly I really only use the Obis for outbound calls, so maybe there is more of an inbound issue than I thought...!

azrobert

Quote from: tpayne03 on March 19, 2018, 02:29:02 PM
Was there a firmware update or change around this time period? 

How could I load an older version of the firmware to test this?

To check firmware version:
Log directly into the OBi using the local interface.
Key the IP address of the OBi into a Web Browser and hit Enter
The UserID and default Password are both "admin".
The System Status page will be displayed.
It's SoftwareVersion under Product Information.

Here are my last 3 versions and the date I downloaded them. I don't know when they became available. I'm using 5757 because of an unrelated problem with the other 2.

OBi202-3-2-1-5757EX.fw  11-3-2017
OBi202-3-1-1-5794.fw  1-21-2018
OBi202-3-1-1-5804.fw  3-16-2018

Download here:
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-1-5757EX.fw
or
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-1-5794.fw

To load firmware from the local interface:
Click System Management then click Device update
Under Firmware Update click Browse and find the downloaded firmware
Click Update

SteveInWA

There is no point whatsoever to messing with firmware with regard to this issue.