News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Questions regarding "Frequently Asked Questions (info/faq/About-the-OBi)"

Started by DavidForum, March 28, 2018, 06:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidForum

(me) I am a new user of the Obi200. I'm using Google Voice and have not experienced any problems. I find it a challenge to follow the directions and be successful. Following is my first example:

(instructions) Frequently Asked Questions

Now, to take this one step further, go to the OBiTALK portal, and add this mobile phone's number to the 'Trusted Callers' section of the OBiTALK web site. Now, when this phone calls your OBi, the OBi Attendant will answer and the caller may direct the call to the attached phone (by pressing 1) or it will allow the mobile phone caller to make a new call (by pressing 2) or allow the mobile phone caller to make the OBi call it back (by pressing 3).

(me) I have added the numbers to my "trusted callers." When I call the OBi from a trusted caller number, I do not reach the OBi Attendant and can not press 1, 2, or 3. The only explanation I have is that things have changed and the instructions can no longer be followed. The instructions have not been revised. Am I right or wrong? Thanks for any help.

drgeoff

Things have not changed.  The instructions are correct.

But have you done any other configuration of your OBi except setting up GoogleVoice?

Point a browser at the IP address of your OBi200. At the login box enter admin and admin (unless you changed the password).  Towards top left click on Status, then on Call History.  Do the numbers shown for the incoming calls match those in your Trusted Callers list on the portal?

DavidForum

Sorry for the delay in responding. My Internet went down. I was able to follow your instructions and logged into the OBi to see Status/Call History/etc. Yes, I see the phone numbers and also see PH1 and PP1. I also see PH1 to GT1. I think PH1 means "Phone 1." I don't know what GT1 means. Probably "Gateway 1." This still doesn't answer my question about the OBi Assistant and the selection of 1, 2, or 3. More help is needed and appreciated. So how do I reach the Assistant?

DavidForum

My next question is this: What does "Call OBi" seen above the OBi Dashboard mean? When should this be used? Thanks.

drgeoff

1.  Using the same user interface, click on Voice Services, then on the SP Service you used for GoogleVoice (probably SP1).  Check that the Value in the X_InboundCallRoute includes the trusted numbers and the characters aa.

2.  The Call OBi button enables a computer with a suitable browser, microphone and audio output to make calls to other OBis or call through those OBis to other endpoints.

DavidForum

Well, I'm learning a little with your help, but there is still so much that isn't clear. I still don't know how to reach the OBi Attendant so that I can choose 1, 2, or 3. I'm thinking I should not be concerned about these features since I doubt I would need them anyway. Even so, I still like learning new things and if you're willing to keep answering questions, I'll keep asking. Maybe it will help others on the forum.

I am looking at the OBi Callback Tutorial. How do I call the OBi device with a trusted phone and reach the OBi Attendant so that I can key in option 3 followed by the # sign? or 2 followed by the # sign? I'm totally in the dark about this.

Regarding the Call OBi button, what would be an example of a number I could drop in to make calls to other OBis or call through OBis to other endpoints? What are endpoints?

Thanks for your continued help.

azrobert

GoogleVoice supplies an 11 digit CallerID. If you entered 10 digits for your trusted caller and checked the Match box, it won't work. You need to uncheck the Match box, so you will get a match on a partial number or add a "1" prefix to the trusted number.

DavidForum

Success reaching the OBi Attendant!  ::) I did what you suggested and unchecked the Match box. In summary, I couldn't reach the Attendant because the phone numbers of my trusted callers were ten digits long and I have the Match box checked. Thanks for your good help with being able to reach the OBi Attendant.

drgeoff

Quote from: DavidForum on March 28, 2018, 01:52:59 PM
Success reaching the OBi Attendant!  ::) I did what you suggested and unchecked the Match box. In summary, I couldn't reach the Attendant because the phone numbers of my trusted callers were ten digits long and I have the Match box checked. Thanks for your good help with being able to reach the OBi Attendant.
I did ask "Do the numbers shown for the incoming calls match those in your Trusted Callers list on the portal?"

And the place where you enter the numbers on the portal does have these words:

"If the "Match" box is unchecked, the OBi will authenticate on a partial number match. Ex. If the Caller ID is: 1-555-867-5309 and you enter: 8675309, the number will be trusted.
If the "Match" box is checked, the Caller ID must exactly match the value in the Phone Number field."

DavidForum

I was surprised to learn that all I had to do was use my phone connected to the OBi and press a speed dial number to call the number assigned to that speed dial. That was easy and nice. I'm still trying to figure out how the "Call OBi" on the OBiTALK Web portal works (what's it for?). I've tried selecting my speed dials and it appears to be calling, but I don't know who or what it's calling. More help is needed with this. Thanks.

azrobert

You can call your OBi with the Call Button. You can use a speed dial number or the 9 digit OBi number of your device. The OBi number is listed on the dashboard. The speed dial needs to be defined as **9 followed by the OBi number and when entered in the call box must be followed by an asterisk.

I just tried it and it's flakey. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When it did work I only had one way audio.

DavidForum

Yes, I understand what you're saying and thanks for the help. When I drop the nine-digit number of my OBi and dial it, I get "Thanks" back. It says it's making the call, but I don't see or hear anything. In other words, what's it doing? You shared that it doesn't work very well. What generates the audio? What is it that I'm overlooking? Thanks again.

SteveInWA

Quote from: DavidForum on March 28, 2018, 06:19:14 PM
Yes, I understand what you're saying and thanks for the help. When I drop the nine-digit number of my OBi and dial it, I get "Thanks" back. It says it's making the call, but I don't see or hear anything. In other words, what's it doing? You shared that it doesn't work very well. What generates the audio? What is it that I'm overlooking? Thanks again.

That CALL button on the OBiTALK website has rarely worked as intended.  I suggest just ignoring it as not worth the aggravation.  There are plenty of other ways to make calls.

azrobert

OBiHai has their own network (OBiTalk). When you add your device to OBiTalk, it has access to the network. The OBiTalk network is treated like any other service. You can make and receive calls to/from another device on the network. You send an OBi number to the OBiTalk network to call a device. The receiving device will see the OBi number of the calling device as the CallerID. You can also send data with the call.

Each service on the OBi has an inbound or outbound route. These determine where a call is routed. These are considered "Expert" settings and can be viewed or modified with OBi Expert.

To enter OBi Expert from the Dashboard click on the gear ICON to the right of your OBixxx then select OBi Expert Config, confirm and select Enter OBi Expert.

On the left click on Physical Interfaces then click on Phone1. Look at the OutboundCallRoute, but 1st uncheck BOTH boxes to the right of the Value. You need to uncheck those boxes to see the real value or to modify the value. When the boxes are checked, you might see the default.

There is a rule {(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp} pp designates the OBiTalk network. (Mpp) points to the OBiTalk digit map. If you dial **9 followed by a number that matches the OBiTalk digit map, it will be routed to the OBiTalk network.

Now Click on Voice Services and then OBiTalk service. The default for the InboundCallRoute is ph.

To summarize:
When you dial **9510123456 the call will be sent to the OBiTalk network.
Device with OBi number 510123456 will receive the call on the OBiTalk service.
The InboundCallRoute will route the call to the phone port.

The Call Button can only route outbound calls to the OBiTalk network. The receiving OBi works as described above.

DavidForum

Thank you sir (azrobert) for your assistance.  I followed your instructions. I did not see the "Mpp."  It is my assumption that all is in order though.  I will disregard the "Call OBi" button.

I'm trying to follow the OBi Tutorial for Google Chat.  What I'm seeing isn't the same as the screen shots.  My Google Chat is Hangouts.  Does that change anything?  Not sure what else to ask right now.  Will keep trying to follow the tutorial.

drgeoff

Quote from: DavidForum on March 29, 2018, 05:55:44 AM
Thank you sir (azrobert) for your assistance.  I followed your instructions. I did not see the "Mpp."  It is my assumption that all is in order though.  I will disregard the "Call OBi" button.

I'm trying to follow the OBi Tutorial for Google Chat.  What I'm seeing isn't the same as the screen shots.  My Google Chat is Hangouts.  Does that change anything?  Not sure what else to ask right now.  Will keep trying to follow the tutorial.
Log in at google.com/voice.  In the vertical menu on the left hand side click the three dots (not lines).  You will see "Legacy Google Voice".  Click on that.  Then towards the top right corner click on the cogwheel to open Settings.  If the Phones tab is not highlighted click it.  If you want incoming calls to reach your OBi you must have 'Google Chat' ticked as one of the forwarding destinations.  (OBi devices act as Chat clients.)  You can make outgoing GV calls from your OBi irrespective of that being ticked or not.

DavidForum

I did not have it Google Chat ticked, but it is now. I feel like I'm making good progress with your help on the forum. Even though we don't use Google Voice much, and when we do, it's mostly to make outgoing calls, it's fun learning about OBiTALK. Thanks.

DavidForum

Quote from: azrobert on March 28, 2018, 04:59:31 PM
You can call your OBi with the Call Button. You can use a speed dial number or the 9 digit OBi number of your device. The OBi number is listed on the dashboard. The speed dial needs to be defined as **9 followed by the OBi number and when entered in the call box must be followed by an asterisk.

I just tried it and it's flakey. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When it did work I only had one way audio.

I'm still testing different features of the OBi. Not that it's absolutely necessary for me to use this, I have yet to see it work. The only responses I've seen are "Thanks" and "Calling," but I have no clue as to what to expect if and when it works.

DavidForum

Quote from: DavidForum on March 29, 2018, 05:55:44 AM

I'm trying to follow the OBi Tutorial for Google Chat.  What I'm seeing isn't the same as the screen shots.  My Google Chat is Hangouts.  Does that change anything?  Not sure what else to ask right now.  Will keep trying to follow the tutorial.

I'm STILL trying to get this to work but with no success. I understand the concept and probably would never use it, but it would be nice to see it work.

drgeoff