News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Questions regarding "Frequently Asked Questions (info/faq/About-the-OBi)"

Started by DavidForum, March 28, 2018, 06:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidForum

drgeoff

The Google Chat tool in Gmail was discontinued on June 26, 2017, and no longer functions.

DavidForum

Quote from: drgeoff on March 30, 2018, 07:18:54 AM
The Google Chat tool in Gmail was discontinued on June 26, 2017, and no longer functions.

Thank you. This is very helpful information.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 30, 2018, 07:26:08 PM
Obihai's tutorial is a bit outdated.

Use MY tutorial instead:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460
SteveInWA's tutorial is for configuring GV.  That is not what DavidForum was attempting:  Google Chat Tutorial - "This functionality allows you to access your OBi on a PC through Gmail from anywhere in the world."

DavidForum

Use MY tutorial instead:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

Thank you for taking your time to help us better understand our OBi devices. It is appreciated. I purchased my OBi200 a little over a week ago from B&H Photo in New York. I'm wondering if the newly purchased units come with the latest firmware update/s. I went to the OBi Expert configuration and learned that my particular unit has a HardwareVersion 1.4 and a SoftwareVersion of 3.2.1 (Build: 5794EX). Would you happen to know if this is the latest version? I'm asking because I would choose not to do an update if it's not needed. My setup is functioning nicely so I don't want to mess things up  :) . "If it's not broken, don't fix it!"  :)

DavidForum

Quote from: drgeoff on March 31, 2018, 03:44:26 AM

Use MY tutorial instead:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460
SteveInWA's tutorial is for configuring GV.  That is not what DavidForum was attempting:  Google Chat Tutorial - "This functionality allows you to access your OBi on a PC through Gmail from anywhere in the world."

Thank you for your clarification. Maybe one day in the future, a feature like "Google Chat" will be available.

drgeoff

OBis within the first year of being registered on the OBitalk portal should correctly respond when you dial ***6 to check if there is newer firmware.

Members often post when new firmware is available eg http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.msg88092#msg88092

DavidForum

I dialed ***6 and the attendant responded with "software update not available." Even if there are no new updates coming, and the OBi is alive only for another six months or a year, it will still be worth the investment for me. The savings will come from not having to use minutes on our cellphones because we only pay for what we use. In other words, we have a lot of control over how we pay per month for our cellphones. My wife has been using the OBi200 to talk to her parents (both her parents are in poor health) and the connection using Google Voice has been great!

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on March 31, 2018, 03:44:26 AM

Based on the conversation so far, I really have no idea what the OP's issue is, nor why he thinks that the tutorial linked in his post has to do with the supposed issue.  Since it sounded like he was having problems configuring Google Voice on the OBi, I posted that tutorial.

There are just too many posts that are on seemingly unrelated or irrelevant topics.

To the OP:  at this time, what is your actual problem?

• The firmware that came factory-installed works, regardless if it's a couple of minor revisions behind, so whatever you are experiencing is unrelated to firmware.
  • Why are you asking about Google Chat?  To be clear:  Google's own Chat/Talk apps have been discontinued, but the "Chat" service (actually a VoIP connection using XMPP) is still active, and Google is leaving it in place solely to support OBi devices.  OBis act as Chat clients.

Are you, or are you not, trying to use Google Voice with your OBi?  The Chat setting is only applicable to Google Voice use.

drgeoff

In the very first line of his very first post DavidForum wrote "(me) I am a new user of the Obi200. I'm using Google Voice and have not experienced any problems." which I read as he has already configured GV on his OBi and it is working OK.

But he is also inquisitive about his new toy and exploring what it can do.  He found several tutorials and tried to follow them.  The instructions and screenshots in the one about using Google Chat from a PC to access his OBi are out of date and won't work because Google Chat is no more except for the "stub" that Google has left in place for OBi ATAa and OBiPhones to work with GoogleVoice.

Obihai is doing a really poor job at keeping documentation and information up to date for end-users.

DavidForum

Quote from: drgeoff on April 01, 2018, 02:05:29 AM
In the very first line of his very first post DavidForum wrote "(me) I am a new user of the Obi200. I'm using Google Voice and have not experienced any problems." which I read as he has already configured GV on his OBi and it is working OK.

But he is also inquisitive about his new toy and exploring what it can do.  He found several tutorials and tried to follow them.  The instructions and screenshots in the one about using Google Chat from a PC to access his OBi are out of date and won't work because Google Chat is no more except for the "stub" that Google has left in place for OBi ATAa and OBiPhones to work with GoogleVoice.

Obihai is doing a really poor job at keeping documentation and information up to date for end-users.

DavidForum says: Yes, I have configured GV on my OBi and it is working OK (actually very nicely). And, yes, I am an inquisitive person and like to understand as much as I can about my "new toy" except it isn't a toy for me. It's our home phone that we use to talk to family and friends. I am evaluating my purchase and desiring to make a good decision as to whether to keep it or return it before my 30 day return window is still open.

I have enjoyed the learning new things and appreciate all the help I have received so far. I've enjoyed using this forum, too.