News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

change my login email address

Started by barryhammond, August 21, 2011, 12:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barryhammond

Is there any way to change my login email address.  It won't be active much longer....

jimates

barryhammond

So I sent the message as indicated, I get this response

Unfortunately, we can't delete the account that you had already established
in OBiTALK.
If however, you want to use a different email address,
you can always register to OBiTALK with that other email.

Doing this, you will then have two email address that you can login to
OBiTALK with.

-Obihai Support Team

barryhammond

So I did that, and it wants me to factory reset my obi100 because it belongs to a different user.  So now I have one account with my device and a bad email account, and one account with a good email account and no devices.  I don't think that this is such an unreasonable think to want to do.  Email addresses change all the time.

jimates

I don't know what resetting the Obi would have to do with ownership. Resetting will just change all the internal settings to factory default.

You should log in with your old email and delete the device from the account. Then log in with your new email and add the device to it. Since provisioning only works one way the Obitalk portal will overwrite any existing settings currently in the Obi.

If you have a complex setup you can back up the settings before removing it from the old account, and then restore it after adding it to the new account.

RonR

Quote from: jimates on September 23, 2011, 03:06:21 PM
If you have a complex setup you can back up the settings before removing it from the old account, and then restore it after adding it to the new account.

Once you restore the saved settings to the OBi, the OBiTALK Web Portal will overwrite them with its current values unless you first disable Auto Provisioning (or had it disabled in the saved configuration) before rebooting, which pretty much negates any reason for registering the OBi on the OBiTALK Web Portal in the first place.

If you have an OBi with a configuration you wish to preserve while registering it on the OBiTALK Web Portal, you'll need to follow these steps as the OBiTALK Web Portal WILL clobber it:

1. Login to the OBi directly and save your current configuration:

System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration (check: Use OBi Version)

2. Register the OBi on the OBiTALK Web Portal.

3. Import your saved configuration into the OBiTALK Web Portal.

4. Re-enter all your passowrds as they are not saved in a backup file.

joel

Sorry, newbie. How do I log in directly to my Obi? Thanks.

RonR

Quote from: joel on October 11, 2011, 09:24:15 AM
Sorry, newbie. How do I log in directly to my Obi? Thanks.

1. Dial ***1 to obtain your OBi's LAN IP address.

2. Place this IP address in your web browser's address line and hit return.

3. Log in using admin/admin (or the password shown in the OBiTALK Web Portal).

4. If changes are to be made directly, set:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method: Disabled

Felix

Quote from: jimates on September 23, 2011, 03:06:21 PM
I don't know what resetting the Obi would have to do with ownership. Resetting will just change all the internal settings to factory default.

You should log in with your old email and delete the device from the account. Then log in with your new email and add the device to it. Since provisioning only works one way the Obitalk portal will overwrite any existing settings currently in the Obi.

Obviously, if I put the device in my aunt's house in Timbuktu, and who had her Timbuktu ISP account just hacked, and she needs to switch to Gmail - it will be very clumsy to do that.

While it is tempting to use email as login, it is risky to do that. Granted, Obihai's main product is the adapter and the portal to administer the adapter; so it's understandable that non-core items (like website and documentation) don't add to competitive advantage and don't get nearly as much attention. However, as you guys become more successful, you need to find the way to address these secondary items as well - either directly, or by building a community of enthusiasts.

I am saying this with genuine desire to see you more successful - after all, I own three devices, and eagerly expecting my fourth one. So, please see this as a very friendly recommendation - nothing else!

From_Charlotte_NC

I totally agree. email address may change and there should be a way to change ones email id used for login. Also, the device i am supporting is not at my home.... so, i cant login directly to reset etc.,
However,thats great info ..  thanks for that

kvandergriff

It is possible to log on to the OBI remotely.  Most routers have the capability to forward a port.  Normally you connect to the OBI's web page via port 80.  Set up the port forwarding on your router to forward a different port, such as 3080 to the OBI's ip address and port 80 on your local network.  To log on from a location off of your local network, you would put the WAN address from your router in to a browser followed by a colon and 3080  Example  68.56.123.32:3080  This is the IP address that your ISP assigns to your router and it can be obtained from the routers menus.
Warning:  Doing this port forwarding opens your OBI up to the world so be sure to use good passwords and perhaps, keep the port forwarding turned off except during times you might need to use it.

totalimpact

This stinks - I have several Obis strung across different places, there is no easy way to access them - changing the address on the dashboard account should be a simple task - and I just came into a situation that requires it, but I have to visit each Obi to move them, then re-do all the credentials?? why have a cloud controlled device, when I need to visit them to make a simple yet crucial change.

jimates

Quote from: totalimpact on May 06, 2012, 03:54:19 PM
This stinks - I have several Obis strung across different places, there is no easy way to access them - changing the address on the dashboard account should be a simple task - and I just came into a situation that requires it, but I have to visit each Obi to move them, then re-do all the credentials?? why have a cloud controlled device, when I need to visit them to make a simple yet crucial change.
As far as the Obihai Portal, the address is nothing more than a log in credential. Even if you don't have access to the email address or the domain anymore, you can still continue to log in to the account. Although you will want to change it, this makes it a lot less immediate of a need.

Send an email to support@obihai.com and they will accommodate you.