News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incoming fax not working (Obi 200) because of "fax voltage tone"?

Started by JTP-Admin, April 16, 2018, 08:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTP-Admin

I have Obi 200 in the office connected to Canon AIO (MF247dw). It successfully sends faxes but does not receive it in AUTO mode. The previous AIO I used (Canon MF227dw) worked great for both sending and receiving faxes. When I talked to Canon support, they pointed out that modem has changed in 247 and now it requires "90v" to recognize that it's an incoming fax.

I was looking over Obi Expert config menu and stumbled on Physical Interfaces / Phone 1 / Ringer / RingVoltage setting that was set to 70 (ObiTALK settings checked). I've tried increasing it to 90 but it didn't make any difference.

Does anyone know if something like that can be done?

Thanks!!!

drgeoff

I am under the impression that the possible range for that parameter is 55 to 82.  Try 82 and if still not working, try changing the waveform from sinusoidal to trapezoidal.

JTP-Admin

Tried setting it to 90 AND changing the waveform - no luck :(

GPz1100

Just to rule out the very obvious, you do have the cord from the obi plugged into the correct hole in the printer?  It's not uncommon to use the wrong hole, especially when it's difficult to see once the printer is installed.

JTP-Admin

I do have it connected to the right port - the fax can send - no problem. I also verified that Obi device is functional by connecting to another Canon printer (227 model) - and it works great there in both send/receive scenarios.

The new model can receive if I switch to "Manual" and essentially force the receive, making the decision for the printer. So all of the pieces are in place. It's just that Obi device's low voltage (or, Canon's higher voltage req) that needs to be modified :(

GPz1100

Odd.  We have a a Canon mf628cw connected to the obi202 here.  Here's the settings I'm using for auto answer.  It picks up after ~2 rings.

Also make sure the fax machine is indeed in auto mode (see pdf).

JTP-Admin

The settings for fax are identical here.

Would you be so kind to see the ring voltage in expert Obi settings for 202 device? I wonder if it's higher there or if it's similar to Obi 200?

GPz1100

From the status screen, while on hook and NOT ringing, tipringvoltage is 45V.  When ringing ~ -43V to +62V as I refresh it.

Under physical interfaces it's all set to default as far as voltages and standards settings.  RX/TX is modified for some reason (can't remember why I changed this), but no issues faxing at full speed.

drgeoff

Quote from: JTP-Admin on April 16, 2018, 11:38:36 AM
Tried setting it to 90
I don't know how the OBi interprets what you enter but I would not assume that entering a value above the stated range has the effect you seem to expect.

Not saying it will solve your problem, but if you don't try you won't know.

JTP-Admin

If you could grab a screenshot of data right above port settings (ringer) - that's where the setting I was trying to change is located...

GPz1100

@JTP, here's all my settings.  Note, i'm *not* using obitalk portal to make changes but rather interact with the device directly on the local network.

drgeoff

Quote from: JTP-Admin on April 16, 2018, 02:44:45 PM
If you could grab a screenshot of data right above port settings (ringer) - that's where the setting I was trying to change is located...
You do not seem to understand.

The help tip says the range is 55 to 82 so why do you insist on putting 90 in there?

GPz1100

A few more thoughts.  What happens when you plug in a regular phone into the obi?  Does it ring properly? 

Another thought that came to mind is maybe a defective power supply.. One that can't provide enough current to modulate the ringer.  Of course if the above test is successful then it's not a power supply :).  If it is a p/s that can't provide the current then I'd expect the obi to reboot after a ring event (because of inadequate/loss of power).  Does this happen?

Lavarock7

Typical ring voltage id 75 to 90 volts dc and 20 hertz for U.S.

Loading down the line with multiple devices (for example a few old-style telephone units) can lower the voltage.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

JTP-Admin

Quote from: GPz1100 on April 16, 2018, 10:35:52 PM
A few more thoughts.  What happens when you plug in a regular phone into the obi?  Does it ring properly? 

The same obi box works great with previous Canon model. It receives faxes. I unplug from it, plug it into next Canon model   - it doesn't receive anything.

JTP-Admin

Quote from: drgeoff on April 16, 2018, 03:21:09 PM
The help tip says the range is 55 to 82 so why do you insist on putting 90 in there?

Because Canon tech support told me that the modem in this model of Canon will trigger only at 90v. I saw the help tip and wondered the same thing.

drgeoff

GPz1100

Quote from: JTP-Admin on April 20, 2018, 05:18:18 AM
Quote from: GPz1100 on April 16, 2018, 10:35:52 PM

The same obi box works great with previous Canon model. It receives faxes. I unplug from it, plug it into next Canon model   - it doesn't receive anything.

See bolded text above. Have you tested your fax machine on a known working analog line (or another ATA known to work)?  I think we've pretty much exhausted what could be the issue.  If an analog phone rings properly then it's something with the new fax... exchange it.

Sheffield_Steve

I have a Canon MF247dw, but had never used the fax.  But today I hooked it up to my Obi 200 and tried calling it and it answered no problem.

This was without any configuration whatsoever.  You may have a bad machine.  I would try setting it  back to default first.